U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:11 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,023,560 times

Advertisements

WHo else remembers when the South was solidily Democratic and the North was solidly Republican? I was horrified when the first southern states went Republican "back in the day." And now I think they're going Blue again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 PM

11,058 posts, read 21,974,411 times
Yeah and the northeast is staying blue while the south is turning blue. Pretty soon the whole country will be blue.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:26 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,208,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
WHo else remembers when the South was solidily Democratic and the North was solidly Republican? I was horrified when the first southern states went Republican "back in the day." And now I think they're going Blue again.
No but I had dinner in Louisville, KY last weekend with a friends aging parents (late 70s/early 80s) and the father mentioned that when they first moved to KY many years back it was a Democratic state and he got some flag from the County Commissioner for saying he was registering Republican. Now as life long Republicans they feel the party bears little resemblance to the party they first joined.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM

3,638 posts, read 4,556,224 times
Quote:
Yeah, but that was back when the Democratic and the Republican party were totally different than they are now. Back then was completely different. I know because I lived through it. Now, both parties are two sides of the same coin.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM
NCN

21,142 posts, read 23,077,632 times
I remember when....
George Bush, Sr. was probably the first Republican president I voted for. His first term only. He did nothing about abortion, so I voted for a Democrat the next time. Please don't ask me who that was. I said I was going to vote a straight Republican ticket this time, but when I started looking to see who was running, just couldn't do it. I am now registered Republican because the county commissioners where I live are selected when the primary is over. We went about 69% McCain this time in our county. I think I am really an independent.

It is amusing when I hear the Northern transplants now talk about changing our state. We get more Republicans from the North than we do Democrats. Before the influx our county was Blue. I think there have been other changes too, but that is one of the changes.

1972 was the first time North Carolina had a Republican Governor since the Civil War. We have only had one other since that. When I went to change my registration from Democrat to Republican, I told the person doing the changing that I was changing from my Dad's party to my Mother's party. She laughed.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I remember when....
George Bush, Sr. was probably the first Republican I voted for. His first term only. He did nothing about abortion, so I voted for a Democrat the next time. Please don't ask me who that was. I said I was going to vote a straight Republican ticket this time, but when I started looking to see who was running, just couldn't do it. I am now registered Republican because the county commissioners where I live are selected when the primary is over. We went about 69% McCain this time in our county. I think I am really an independent.
I remember Ike and he truly had conservastive views, siomething that is now lacking from either party.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 PM

3,553 posts, read 7,209,920 times
When LBJ signed (either the Civil Rights Act, or the) Voting Rights Act he said; "we've just lost the (white) South for a generation. I don't think that "a generation" is usually 43 years, but it looks like it's coming back.

Reagan and Bush played the "southern strategy" to good effect. As whites became accustomed to having blacks living and working among them the Rs had to come up with something else; enter GWBush and the "guns, god and gays" strategy. That worked for two elections but now people have realized that gay people are not the devil and the government that cannot find and kick out illegal immigrants probably can'[t come for your guns either.

Common sense may be returning to much of the American public.

golfgod

Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM

90,377 posts, read 109,053,561 times
Quote:
Yes, I do remember that.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,799,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Yeah, but that was back when the Democratic and the Republican party were totally different than they are now. Back then was completely different. I know because I lived through it. Now, both parties are two sides of the same coin.
I don't know which coin you mean but:

Much has been written recently about how the defecting Dixiecrats and Wallace voters have finally taken control of the Republican Party so it shouldn't be surprising to see how the their last bastion is largely in the South and rural West.

Are John McCain and Sarah Palin heirs to George Wallace's legacy? - By Diane McWhorter - Slate Magazine

Amazon.com: From George Wallace to Newt Gingrich: Race in the Conservative Counterrevolution, 1963-1994: Dan T. Carter: Books

Old 11-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't know which coin you mean but:

Much has been written recently about how the defecting Dixiecrats and Wallace voters have finally taken control of the Republican Party so it shouldn't be surprising to see how the their last bastion is largely in the South and rural West.

Are John McCain and Sarah Palin heirs to George Wallace's legacy? - By Diane McWhorter - Slate Magazine

Amazon.com: From George Wallace to Newt Gingrich: Race in the Conservative Counterrevolution, 1963-1994: Dan T. Carter: Books
Politics today by either party is the coin. They are both sides of it and neither party is worth a whit at all. If anyone honestly thinks that Obama or the Democratic party or the Republican party actually cares about them then they show how uninformed they truly are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections