Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:52 PM

574 posts, read 1,205,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I have arguments over pie all the time. Sometimes with myself. It's a big debate as to whether I should eat some pumpkin pie first, or some lemon meringue. They should televise it this year. Should get better ratings than the second-tier bowl games.
I would watch your solo debate with either pumpkin or lemon meringue. At least you didn't say mince meat. Now there's a pie I don't trust. What is even IN there? It's like the sausage of pies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,064 posts, read 17,943,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
I can only think of one misguided soul in my family who voted for Obama. We generally avoid political discussions, but he insisted on bringing it up for the last few months. This week he has been gloating to his mother about Obama's win nonstop. He said he voted for Obama because he feels bad for all the people who don't have jobs and have to rely on government support.

This year for Christmas we will be buying the rest of the family regular gifts. We will be sending the money we normally spend on him to a local soup kitchen. He will get a nice card tho.
ROFLMAO, that just ROCKS!!!!!!! And let me tell you, from experience, he will be really miffed!

My sister is as far left as you can get and very, very difficult to buy gifts for. She gripes about anything bought at Walmart, not made in certain countries, non-organic items, blah-blah-blah. I dread shopping for her every year so one year I decided to send a donation to the Southwest Indian Foundation in her name for a Christmas basket of food and gifts to be delivered to a Native American family. I thought that would be a gift she'd appreciate!

WRONG! She was soooooo mad! She complained to our mum that she actually spent time shopping for a gift for me and all I did was make a donation in her name. It did have one positive effect, though. She never again complained about any gift I gave her, hahahahaha.

13,562 posts, read 21,312,203 times
So someone you know and even more importantly care about voted opposite so what?There is a line to be drawn to a point where some things are more important and politics shouldn't be a priority above family friends and love.

Politicians come and go,your friends and family should not.No problem being outspoken and opinionated but there is a time and place for everything.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:53 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,828,599 times
Quote:
I can only think of one misguided soul in my family who voted for Obama. We generally avoid political discussions, but he insisted on bringing it up for the last few months. This week he has been gloating to his mother about Obama's win nonstop. He said he voted for Obama because he feels bad for all the people who don't have jobs and have to rely on government support.

This year for Christmas we will be buying the rest of the family regular gifts. We will be sending the money we normally spend on him to a local soup kitchen. He will get a nice card tho.
Man, I feel sorry for you. That idea just has disaster written all over it. And the rest of your family members will never let you hear the end of it.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:53 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,321,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Our family's wounds will heal. My sister, who is a teacher and no longer lives in our household, and I, a college student and salesman, both voted for Sen. Obama while our father voted for Sen. McCain and encouraged my mother, who is politically apathetic, to do the same. Every day we had arguments as he would watch Bill O'Reilly or Hannity & Colmes on Fox News in the living room as I watched CNN in our home office while surfing MSNBC on the web. I had an Obama bumper sticker on my car and brought home an Obama yard sign that I promptly donated to our neighbors, fellow Obama supporters, before he could burn it in a bonfire as he had threatened to do. This election tore EVERYONE apart!

Wow some here live in ultra sensetive land. I am glad my family doesn't live there.
You truly think Obama (Dems) or Mccain (Reps) give a damn about any of you?

Again put aside the speeches look at the action or lack of it by BOTH parties and you have your answer.
I can see if your a lobbyiest for a special interest group arguing over politicians as they love you but a reg citizen they dont care about.

I voted Mccain and close cousin voted Obama .
We debate politics but its harmless nonsense in the end both of us KNOW that BOTH parties would have us killed if it meant a pay raise for them.

Politicians ESP this bunch should be on the botom of the barrel as far as sticking up for to point you "fight" with family .

Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,321,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So someone you know and even more importantly care about voted opposite so what?There is a line to be drawn to a point where some things are more important and politics shouldn't be a priority above family friends and love.

Politicians come and go,your friends and family should not.No problem being outspoken and opinionated but there is a time and place for everything.

I agree and maybe its because that I live in Miami but I suspect most politicians disdain,look down upon their voters for being so loyal to words not action.

I imagine Congress, Senate behind closed doors must have a good laugh at the loyal idiots they win over and hold with only words.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,362,952 times
Quote:
Who said I was mean spirited? It is his opinion that other people know how to spend my money for me better than I do. I disagree with that philosophy.

I am merely giving him what he wants: someone else to spend "his" money for him.
And it's going to upset him that you are giving to charity of your choice instead of to him?
You don't see the irony in the fact that he's got you spending your x-mas money to help feed the hungry...out of spite? Win/win scenario for him. Poor people get your help and you get to feel the horrible pain of giving to charity.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,696,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Wow.
Obama (Dems) or Mccain (Reps)

Oh, thank you for clarifying that for us.
...sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
The only way I can see discussing politics in family get togethers would be if you could bring along a moderator such as this forum has that can delete something that went too far or give a warning or suspension. Moderated political forums are the only ones that stay polite -- unfortunately but that's human nature.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,020,612 times
My immediate family and I, and my husband all voted the same. My in-laws did not. We just don't discuss it with them. I do have some friends, however, that I am viewing in a different light. And not just because they didn't vote the same way I did, but because they spew the same stupid fox news type lies that you see on this forum. It is more than just a difference of opinion. I wonder what they think about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections