Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:46 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times

Advertisements

We will be the highest taxed nation. He will keep thowing money at problems, fixing nothing. I see us swimming against the tide for the next four years. Poor tired and weary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-rated View Post
unemployment was never low under Bush. Where have you been for the past 8 years? There was and still is massive joblessness under Bush. Perception is important but not more important than reality, are you kidding me?
Wow, drinking that Obama/Clinton Koolaid?

493 posts, read 717,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
You stated the number one criteria, as to why I have such a problem with liberals in general......it is all about feelings....just like you eluded to over and over in this post!! What in Obama's resume, based on hard facts leads you to this conclusion? "I have a feeling" does not cut it. Obama might very well turn out to be good, but one thing we already know for 100% fact, is all his promises will not be met. In fact, not even 5% of them! Yet the average voter belived him, those of us who based our vote on hsitory and facts saw right through the constant speeches about a utopia that we know does not exist.
Well feelings and emotion are important, if we all didn't have a "feeling" about Obama despite his lack of experience as a commander in chief then he wouldn't be elected our president. We have faith in him. It's about the power of hope and desire for change. We can do and be anything that we want and it's a fact! Just look at what we are witnessing!

254 posts, read 329,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Any time he needs money--he will tell his wife to buy another ugly dress and parade around in front of the MSM until they are sufficintly bamboozeled
this post made no sense at all

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
will you be shocked if the unemployment rate is reduced? I think that it can be done. Obama has so many good ideas, ideas such as tax cuts for companies that don't export jobs overseas, building and improving our infrastructure...
Time will tell. I'm one who has to see it before I believe it. And I want my over $1000 tax refund. In my hand. Then I'll be glad. And my free health care too so I can stop paying monthly premiums.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:47 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
You stated the number one criteria, as to why I have such a problem with liberals in general......it is all about feelings....just like you eluded to over and over in this post!! What in Obama's resume, based on hard facts leads you to this conclusion? "I have a feeling" does not cut it. Obama might very well turn out to be good, but one thing we already know for 100% fact, is all his promises will not be met. In fact, not even 5% of them! Yet the average voter belived him, those of us who based our vote on hsitory and facts saw right through the constant speeches about a utopia that we know does not exist.
I suppose you also saw through his ability to be elected.....

Old 11-06-2008, 05:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Here's some perspective:

Carter: Prime Interest rate, 21%. Inflation, 13.5%. Unemployment, 7%. The so-called “Misery Index,” which Carter used to great effect in his 1976 campaign to win election, 20.5%.

Reagan’s last year: Prime Interest rate, 11%. Inflation, 4.1%. Unemployment, 5.5%. Misery Index, 9.6%.

Bush today: Prime Interest rate, 7.2%. Inflation, 4.8%. Unemployment, 6.1%. Misery Index, 10.9%.
Um, the prime interest rate is no where near 7.2% Prime Rate - Prime Interest Rate

LIBOR - 1 Yr2.969%-0.136%LIBOR - 6 Mo2.824%-0.145%LIBOR - 3 Mo2.510%0.004%LIBOR - 1 Mo1.960%0.004%Treasury - 30 Yr4.20%-0.13%Treasury - 10 Yr3.81%-0.15%Fed Prime Rate4.00%0.00%

Old 11-06-2008, 05:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
will you be shocked if the unemployment rate is reduced? I think that it can be done. Obama has so many good ideas, ideas such as tax cuts for companies that don't export jobs overseas, building and improving our infrastructure...
And yes I know you're certain everything is soon going to be perfect. We just must wait until January before the full perfection is attained. You can *feel* it.

That's what I mean about perception is more important than reality.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:52 PM

254 posts, read 329,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wow, drinking that Obama/Clinton Koolaid?
Yes you should have some, its really good

Old 11-06-2008, 05:53 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It depends on what you're asking. Unemployment this month is at 6.1% which is a bit higher than it was most of the past 8 years.
Not this

Quote:
I think to some people that *feels* like massive unemployment. When Obama is in office, their perceptions may change and things will *feel* different.
Ok so if I am unemployed right now and can not buy food for my children to eat, somehow in Jan I won't feel the same feelings as I do right now? Does that really make sense to you? I will still have no job and my kids will still be hungry, they only difference is that Obama is sleeping in the lap of luxery instead of Bush.

Quote:
They already admit that the moment Obama won there was this odd energy they were feeling, suddenly everything went from really bad to really great. He's not even in office yet -- but it's there, they just feel everything is right now.
Baby energy don't pay the bills, energy don't feed the kids, energy don't keep a roof over your head. Energy fade fast. Keep dreaming cause your gonna need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections