Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,521 times

Advertisements

Conservatives Lost More Than An Election
By Chuck Baldwin
November 7, 2008

http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c200..._20081107.html

That Barack Obama trounced John McCain last Tuesday should have surprised no one. In fact, in this column, weeks ago, I stated emphatically that John McCain could no more beat Barack Obama than Bob Dole could beat Bill Clinton. He didn't. (Hence a vote for John McCain was a "wasted" vote, was it not?) I also predicted that Obama would win with an electoral landslide. He did. The real story, however, is not how Barack Obama defeated John McCain. The real story is how John McCain defeated America's conservatives.

For all intents and purposes, conservatism--as a national movement--is completely and thoroughly dead. Barack Obama did not destroy it, however. It was George W. Bush and John McCain who destroyed conservatism in America.

Soon after G.W. Bush was elected, it quickly became obvious he was no conservative. On the contrary, George Bush has forever established himself as a Big-Government, warmongering, internationalist neocon. Making matters worse was the way Bush presented himself as a conservative Christian. In fact, Bush's portrayal of himself as a conservative Christian paved the way for the betrayal and ultimate destruction of conservatism (something I also predicted years ago). And the greatest tragedy of this deception is the way that Christian conservatives so thoroughly (and stupidly) swallowed the whole Bush/McCain neocon agenda.

For example, Bush and his fellow neocons like to categorize and promote themselves as being "pro-life," but they have no hesitation or reservation about killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people in reckless and unconstitutional foreign wars. By the same token, how many unborn babies were saved by six years of all three branches of the federal government being under the control of these "pro-life" neocons? Not one! Ask the more than eight million unborn babies who were killed in their mothers' wombs during the last eight years how "pro-life" George W. Bush and John McCain are.

As a result of this insanely inconsistent and pixilated punditry, millions of Americans now laugh at the very notion of "pro-life" conservatism. Bush and McCain have made a mockery of the very term.

Consider, too, the way Bush and McCain have allowed the international bankers on Wall Street to bilk America's taxpayers out of trillions of dollars. Yes, I know Obama also supported the Wall Street bailout, but it was the Republican Party that controlled the White House for the last eight years and the entire federal government for six out of the last eight years. In fact, the GOP has won seven out of the previous ten Presidential elections. They have controlled Supreme Court appointments for the past thirty-plus years. They have appointed the majority of Treasury secretaries and Federal Reserve chairmen. They have presided over the greatest trade imbalances, the biggest deficits, the biggest spending increases, and now the worst financial disaster since the Great Depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 06:29 PM

167 posts, read 453,201 times
Amen.

It is all about $$$$$.

Bottom line.

The Republican Party will destroy itself completely because of their HATE.

Hate will destroy them.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:33 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,633,906 times
The gop no longer represents fiscal conservatives or people who are interested in liberty. They may be democrats for all they have adhered to conservative principles!
And let it be known that wanting to legislate morality is not and was not a conservative virtue. The gop sold us all out for easy votes among the moral majority. Truly, I am one disgusted former republican.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Well, as I said before the cannibalism has started. The GOP is turning on itself seeking to lay the blame. On the one hand folks are turning on McCain and Bush - and on the other hand folks are turning on Palin.

No surprise to me. Just basic human nature.

Ken

Old 11-06-2008, 08:41 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,633,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, as I said before the cannibalism has started. The GOP is turning on itself seeking to lay the blame. On the one hand folks are turning on McCain and Bush - and on the other hand folks are turning on Palin.

No surprise to me. Just basic human nature.

Ken
This 'cannabilism' is a long time coming and really has not much to do with either mccain or palin. It has a lot more to do with the gop pandering to the religious right and the signing of the bailout bill among other things.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,190 times
You know, I think while this defeat must certainly be tough to swallow for many Republicans it's also a chance for them to have a really good look at their own conservative values and how they can assure that these are conveyed better to the electorate.

But it's of course up to the members of the party to realize that and understand that they cannot continue in the same old tracks which clearly don't work very well anymore.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
This election was a vote against the Bush administration and the policies of the last 8 years. It was not some new leftist revolution. This is still a center/center-right country.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,663 times
(Hence a vote for John McCain was a "wasted" vote, was it not?)
Originally posted by Anonymous Politcal Junkie

While I see your point I myself feel there is no such thing as a wasted vote as long as your reasoning behind your vote is sound. If you truly believe in your candidate and their ability to run this country then you should vote for that person. Even if they lose you still cast your vote for who you thought was the better man for you.

Far too many people voted for one or the other candidate for all the wrong reasons. I heard countless people say things like "I'm voting for McCain because I am a Republican" or "I'm voting for Obama because I want a black president" or "I'm not voting for McCain because I don't want a black president" etc. etc. etc. The point is people who vote for any candidate for any other reason than their sincere belief in that candidates abilities are foolish. They are voting for all the wrong reasons.

I myself voted for the candidate of my choice and I knew he had absolutely no chance. Of course, that would be Bob Barr of the Libertarian Party. I really like the Libertarian platform and I liked how Barr could tear both Obama and McCain a new one on any subject they chose to debate upon. Of course, most people never got to see him at all. Thus my prior knowledge of the fact that he had no chance. But I still voted for him because he was my #1 choice for this country.

So even though he lost, my vote counted for something. I stood for what I believed in and voted for the candidate of my choice. So no vote is a wasted vote, unless you voted for all the wrong reasons. And for all those Republicans out there who are disheartened by this years outcome, cheer up! You did way better than my party and 4 years goes by fast.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:11 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Conservatives Lost More Than An Election
By Chuck Baldwin
November 7, 2008

http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c200..._20081107.html

That Barack Obama trounced John McCain last Tuesday should have surprised no one. In fact, in this column, weeks ago, I stated emphatically that John McCain could no more beat Barack Obama than Bob Dole could beat Bill Clinton. He didn't. (Hence a vote for John McCain was a "wasted" vote, was it not?) I also predicted that Obama would win with an electoral landslide. He did. The real story, however, is not how Barack Obama defeated John McCain. The real story is how John McCain defeated America's conservatives.

For all intents and purposes, conservatism--as a national movement--is completely and thoroughly dead. Barack Obama did not destroy it, however. It was George W. Bush and John McCain who destroyed conservatism in America.

Soon after G.W. Bush was elected, it quickly became obvious he was no conservative. On the contrary, George Bush has forever established himself as a Big-Government, warmongering, internationalist neocon. Making matters worse was the way Bush presented himself as a conservative Christian. In fact, Bush's portrayal of himself as a conservative Christian paved the way for the betrayal and ultimate destruction of conservatism (something I also predicted years ago). And the greatest tragedy of this deception is the way that Christian conservatives so thoroughly (and stupidly) swallowed the whole Bush/McCain neocon agenda.

For example, Bush and his fellow neocons like to categorize and promote themselves as being "pro-life," but they have no hesitation or reservation about killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people in reckless and unconstitutional foreign wars. By the same token, how many unborn babies were saved by six years of all three branches of the federal government being under the control of these "pro-life" neocons? Not one! Ask the more than eight million unborn babies who were killed in their mothers' wombs during the last eight years how "pro-life" George W. Bush and John McCain are.

As a result of this insanely inconsistent and pixilated punditry, millions of Americans now laugh at the very notion of "pro-life" conservatism. Bush and McCain have made a mockery of the very term.

Consider, too, the way Bush and McCain have allowed the international bankers on Wall Street to bilk America's taxpayers out of trillions of dollars. Yes, I know Obama also supported the Wall Street bailout, but it was the Republican Party that controlled the White House for the last eight years and the entire federal government for six out of the last eight years. In fact, the GOP has won seven out of the previous ten Presidential elections. They have controlled Supreme Court appointments for the past thirty-plus years. They have appointed the majority of Treasury secretaries and Federal Reserve chairmen. They have presided over the greatest trade imbalances, the biggest deficits, the biggest spending increases, and now the worst financial disaster since the Great Depression.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
(Hence a vote for John McCain was a "wasted" vote, was it not?)
Originally posted by Anonymous Politcal Junkie

While I see your point I myself feel there is no such thing as a wasted vote as long as your reasoning behind your vote is sound. If you truly believe in your candidate and their ability to run this country then you should vote for that person. Even if they lose you still cast your vote for who you thought was the better man for you.

Far too many people voted for one or the other candidate for all the wrong reasons. I heard countless people say things like "I'm voting for McCain because I am a Republican" or "I'm voting for Obama because I want a black president" or "I'm not voting for McCain because I don't want a black president" etc. etc. etc. The point is people who vote for any candidate for any other reason than their sincere belief in that candidates abilities are foolish. They are voting for all the wrong reasons.

I myself voted for the candidate of my choice and I knew he had absolutely no chance. Of course, that would be Bob Barr of the Libertarian Party. I really like the Libertarian platform and I liked how Barr could tear both Obama and McCain a new one on any subject they chose to debate upon. Of course, most people never got to see him at all. Thus my prior knowledge of the fact that he had no chance. But I still voted for him because he was my #1 choice for this country.

So even though he lost, my vote counted for something. I stood for what I believed in and voted for the candidate of my choice. So no vote is a wasted vote, unless you voted for all the wrong reasons. And for all those Republicans out there who are disheartened by this years outcome, cheer up! You did way better than my party and 4 years goes by fast.
I don't know why you reposted one of my posts, but I ened up not voting for Bob Barr. I did vote for Chuck Baldwin though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections