Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,937 times

Advertisements

Here is a link to the actual Senate version of a bill that will end secret ballots for groups that want to organize a union. Under the link, I have copied the co-sponsors of the bill and highlighted Mr. Obama.

Notice the language of the Sec. 2. if a majority of workers in a business sign a card stating they want a Union, then there will be no election (as there is now), where the workers get to vote in secret.
This will allow unions that we all know are corrupt and rife with organized crime to intimidate people into voting for unionization.

Somebody that likes Obama, please explain how you can support him given these facts?????

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c110dxXaAx::

Mr. KENNEDY (for himself, Mr. DODD, Mr. HARKIN, Ms. MIKULSKI, Mr. BINGAMAN, Mrs. MURRAY, Mr. REED, Mrs. CLINTON, Mr. OBAMA, Mr. SANDERS, Mr. BROWN, Mr. BYRD, Mr. INOUYE, Mr. BIDEN, Mr. LEAHY, Mr. BAUCUS, Mr. LEVIN, Mr. KERRY, Mr. ROCKEFELLER, Mr. REID, Mr. CONRAD, Mr. KOHL, Mr. LIEBERMAN, Mr. AKAKA, Mrs. FEINSTEIN, Mr. DORGAN, Mrs. BOXER, Mr. FEINGOLD, Mr. WYDEN, Mr. DURBIN, Mr. JOHNSON, Ms. LANDRIEU, Mr. SCHUMER, Mr. BAYH, Mr. CARPER, Ms. STABENOW, Ms. CANTWELL, Mr. NELSON of Florida, Mr. LAUTENBERG, Mr. MENENDEZ, Mr. CARDIN, Mr. WEBB, Mr. CASEY, Mrs. MCCASKILL, Ms. KLOBUCHAR, Mr. WHITEHOUSE, and Mr. TESTER) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions

SEC. 2. STREAMLINING UNION CERTIFICATION .

(a) In General- Section 9(c) of the National Labor Relations Act (29 U.S.C. 159(c)) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(6) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, whenever a petition shall have been filed by an employee or group of employees or any individual or labor organization acting in their behalf alleging that a majority of employees in a unit appropriate for the purposes of collective bargaining wish to be represented by an individual or labor organization for such purposes, the Board shall investigate the petition. If the Board finds that a majority of the employees in a unit appropriate for bargaining has signed valid authorizations designating the individual or labor organization specified in the petition as their bargaining representative and that no other individual or labor organization is currently certified or recognized as the exclusive representative of any of the employees in the unit, the Board shall not direct an election but shall certify the individual or labor organization as the representative described in subsection (a).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 PM

*Bump*

Any takers?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:46 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
I guess nobody carese that Obama wants non-union workers to end up with broken legs.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Very good posting. That alone could make McCain win NC.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:52 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,046 times
Your link leads to a dead search. Post the title of the legislation.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
It looks to me as if it's just skipping an extra step, an election. The majority already proves what an election would, without loss of time in which voters could be swayed. So an election isnt necessary.

? I dont get your point. Is it that it should be the other way around - a (secret) election instead of a petition? Whats 'the "authorizations" step?

Ive never worked in a unionized place so I dont know.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
It's called the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA)
HR 800 EH

The misnamed Employee Free Choice Act effectively eliminates secret ballot union elections and strips workers of their privacy.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Lab...ad/bg_2175.pdf

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
Employee Free Choice Act of 2007

HR 800 EH

Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It looks to me as if it's just skipping an extra step, an election. The majority already proves what an election would, without loss of time in which voters could be swayed. So an election isnt necessary.

? I dont get your point. Is it that it should be the other way around - a (secret) election instead of a petition? Whats 'the "authorizations" step?

Ive never worked in a unionized place so I dont know.

Right now a group that wants to unionize has to get a petition that has a certain % of the workforce. once that number has been reached, the National Labor Board (I think) sets up an election where each worker gets to cast a vote for or against by secret ballot.

if that process is done away with. Unions can go into any business, bully the workers and get a petition signed by intemidation.

there is no recourse for the workers to have their say privately like you and I have on election day.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
It's here, scarlet.

GovTrack: H.R. 800: Text of Legislation, Placed on Calendar Senate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections