Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 11:01 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
If possible does someone have a link where the community service is stated as a requirement. The link from the OP says he will call on students to do community service, which is not the same as a requirement but more of a request.
Quote:
The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by setting a goal that all middle school and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year and by developing a plan so that all college students who conduct 100 hours of community service receive a universal and fully refundable tax credit ensuring that the first $4,000 of their college education is completely free. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.
Change.gov

The President-elect's new site....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 11:03 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,162,146 times
Does anyone actually think - this is going to happen?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:22 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Community service is NOT just pickin up trash....it is also service to Seniors....etc etc etc.....

I am a conservative republican, I voted for McCain....and I think Obamama's idea is a GREAT one.....Here in NV we have a scholarship program in effect whereby a Nevada student with a 3.5gpa gets a $10,000 grant to attend ANY in state school.....he has only to agree to work within the state of Nevada for two years following graduation.
I guess they must all live in dirty communities, but when my kids were in the LV schools, they were expected to do community service as part of their magnet programs.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Does anyone actually think - this is going to happen?
I suspect we're coming to a point where we expect him to do what he says....interesting isn't it....time will tell; however, I suspect many will respect a Government and Executive Office that does what it says it will do - even if we don't agree, so long as they acknowledge they've listened to those who disagree.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Community service is NOT just pickin up trash....it is also service to Seniors....etc etc etc.....

I am a conservative republican, I voted for McCain....and I think Obamama's idea is a GREAT one.....Here in NV we have a scholarship program in effect whereby a Nevada student with a 3.5gpa gets a $10,000 grant to attend ANY in state school.....he has only to agree to work within the state of Nevada for two years following graduation.
Many folks think in terms of their surroundings, particularly when espousing negativity - it's what they are most drawn to, and where they are least apt to attempt meaningful change beyond complaints and expectations that someone else do the heavy lifting.

~there's always a supervisor with a cup of coffee....

Last edited by walidm; 11-08-2008 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 11:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post

This discussion reminds me of the folks on the board who claim that they can afford to pay more taxes now that Obama is asking and my question has been "Why have you not been giving up more to this point if you can afford it?"
Many of us do. And then there is a faction that has to be dragged into giving anything.

Quote:
Same thing regarding forced community service, If you think it is such a great idea why haven't you been doing it already? Why haven't you been requiring it of your kids and yourself?
Many of us do. And then there is a faction that has to be dragged into doing anything.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:36 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I don't understand why your son would laugh at a 4000 tax credit for college for 100 hours of community service per year if he is struggling. It would appear that it would be beneficial for him but maybe I am not seeing it the same way that he does.
Did you read the link? It's NOT "per year." It's a one-time deal.

Quote:
Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by setting a goal that all middle school and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year and by developing a plan so that all college students who conduct 100 hours of community service receive a universal and fully refundable tax credit ensuring that the first $4,000 of their college education is completely free.
The freshman year will be the least expensive of all of the kids' years and most people can fund it somehow. The big problem is KEEPING kids able to attend financially.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:39 AM

Thumbs down ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
. The big problem is KEEPING kids able to attend financially.
The problem all students face until they graduate.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:49 AM

88,986 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Do you not understand yet that nothing is FREE??
They will never understand that - that's why Obama was able to fool so many people. Notice how Obama hasn't fooled businesses and corporations. It'll be interesting to see how Obama reconciles his promises to the people with the cold hard facts of how economics really works.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:04 PM

88,986 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why do you liberals need Obama mandating you to do those things? What's stopping college kids right now from shutting off the X-box, stop texting on their i-Phones and get out and clean up their communities this very day?

Why must you always be forced? Why couldn't you have decided on your own that you could do something for all the financial aid you've been getting?
For the same reason that liberals donate less to charities unless forced to give more. Conservatives donate a larger percentage of their incomes to charities than do liberals, even though liberals have higher incomes.

They won't do it unless everyone has to. It's the proven liberal mindset.

Arthur Brooks, the author of Who Really Cares, wrote that when you analyze the data, it turns out that conservatives give about 30 percent more than liberals even though conservatives have less income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections