Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda
The funny part is how white Americans have never tried to claim someone black is part of them before.

How do you know this for sure?

Take a look at history.
Try not to generalize. It's true that some white Americans have never tried to claim that they have an African American heritage, but not all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Try not to generalize. It's true that some white Americans have never tried to claim that they have an African American heritage, but not all of them.
So sorry for generalizing, but it just hasn't been that typical for right wing Republicans to point out the white in a black person and I just dont see the need to constantly do it now.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
So sorry for generalizing, but it just hasn't been that typical for right wing Republicans to point out the white in a black person and I just dont see the need to constantly do it now.
Did you also mean the black in a white person? Have you ever sat down and actually spoken with a Republican, or do you live in a bubble?

I love discussing politics with people I do not agree with. It breaks down the barriers, and allows for learning on both sides. Many times you may realize that you have more in common than not.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:11 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
America's "first black President" is an incomplete therefore inaccurate description. He is the first U.S. president of black AND white decent. I'm biracial and I don't claim to be one race or the other (and neither do my relatives) because I can't be divided into two and I don't ignore my mother's (whose darker than Obama) or my father's race (blonde, white, blue-eyes). My genetic make up comes from two different races. I know that people like their labels and have to fit biracial people into neat little categories but that doesn't change what we are. Obama may identify with his black heritage and blacks may "claim him" as their own, but when it comes down to it, he is half white and half black.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:14 AM

220 posts, read 622,638 times
Default Obama is a black man and that's it

I have a black father and a white mother yet I am still a black male. Like the OP said Obama and I are cleary bi-racial. But to majority of america especially white people over the age of 40 both of us are seen as black men to them.

My father brought me a lexus for graduating highschool at the age of 18. When I got pull over 3 times in one week all by white cops. I'm pretty sure those white cops weren't trying to find out if i had any white heritage. All they saw were a young black male in a lexus.

So save the crap for somebody else. People like me and obama who have a black parent and a white parent. Still have to deal with the same prejudices and discrimination as people with two black parents.

Lets ask obama when he was out with his white side of the family. How many stares did he get from other white people. Like why is that black kid with that white family. As opossed too when he was out with his black side of the family. And black people didn't stare because it looked like a normal black kid with a black family. The same thing used too and still does happen to me.

LOL you should have seen the faces of some of the white people. When I went to church and walked in with my white grandmother for the first time. Do you think I got the same looks and stares when Im out with my black grandmother. Even though Im bi-racial right.

Last edited by judgeme; 11-07-2008 at 10:25 AM..

Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgeme View Post
I have a black father and a white mother yet I am still a black male. Like the OP said Obama and I are cleary bi-racial. But to majority of america especially white people over the age of 40 both of us are seen as black men to them.

My father brought me a lexus for graduating highschool at the age of 18. When I got pull over 3 times in one week all by white cops. I'm pretty sure those white cops weren't trying to find out if i had any white heritage. All they saw were a young black male in a lexus.

So save the crap for somebody else. People like me and obama who have a black parent and a white parent. Still have to deal with the same prejudices and discrimination as people with two black parents.

Lets ask obama when he was out with his white side of the family. How many stares did he get from other white people. Like why is that black kid with that white family. As opossed too when he was out with his black side of the family. And black people didn't stare because it looked like a normal black kid with a black family. The same thing used too and still does happen to me.

LOL you should have seen the faces of some of the white people. When I went to church and walked in with my white grandmother for the first time. Do you think I got the same looks and stares when Im out with my black grandmother. Even though Im bi-racial right.
My point exactly..

Old 11-07-2008, 10:44 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgeme View Post

Well, stop speeding in your lexus and become a cop.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:46 AM

267 posts, read 725,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
People keep calling him mixed-race because thats what he is...
Remember when people wanted Tigers Woods to downplay the fact that..
He is half Asian and he was having none of it!
Tiger woods father is black. Do you really think asians look at tiger woods and see a asian male. Chris rock on his show that used to come on hbo. Went to new york and asked several asians about tiger woods race. They all said they didn't even know that he had any asian in him. And they thought he was just a black male.

When tiger woods one his first master's tournament. Remember the golfer who said maybe now we have to change the menu to fried chicken and collards greens. I'm sure that was a asian joke.

Im sure tiger woods got all the publicity he did because he was the first half asian golfer who was really good. Yeah right he got it because he was the first really good black golfer. The same as the william sister's in tennis.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 AM

I do not think Asians get enough credit in this country.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
My point exactly..
Mine as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections