Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
And now I have to respect him!?

I’d like to make it clear first, I am not a Republican, Democrat, conservative nor liberal. I’m an independent. I don’t cling to a political party and vote blindly like a sheep. Im conservative on some issues, liberal on others, somewhere in the middle on most.

Moving forward…
Yesterday while in my evidence class, my professor, a self proclaimed liberal, makes a few sarcastic comments about President Bush and how she’s delighted about Obama being elected president. “Im glad your happy” I sarcastically thought, as I turned to my friend and said, “this is a classroom, leave politics at the door.” At the end of class, she makes a couple other comments and says, “whether you like Obama or not, you have to respect him.”

WTF is this? You mock the president, and tell me to respect the new president?! Firstly, don’t tell me who to respect. I respect those that I feel deserve it. Secondly, neither you, nor any other Bush hating liberal can look at me and tell me to respect Obama. Seriously. You NEVER gave Bush a chance, so don’t be a hypocrite

Since the day Bush was elected president I have witnessed the scorn, contempt, and disrespect towards him. The day it was announced that Bush beat Gore people swore that Bush will never be “their” president as they swore allegiance to Gore. Even years later, while Bush served our country as president, their “president” Gore was on his jet to and from Antarctica serving the polar bears.

I have seen President Bush be blamed for 911, and for New Orleans. I witnessed our entire country, immediately after 911, begin to point our fingers at Iraq while saying that Sadam hates us as much as Bin Lade and probably has bigger weapons. I watched our congress agree to this and we all felt better after invading Iraq. I watched the pride in most of my country as we witnessed Iraqi citizens tear down those Sadam statues. Yet, when it was found that the nukes weren’t in Iraq I watched as many people, including our politicians, turn the other face all while yelling “Impeach Bush!”

I’ve seen the same greedy pigs out there with two SUV’s and taking out stupid –interest only – and – Negative Amortization – loans trying to make a quick buck, blame Bush for the economy.

I witnessed professors across college campuses in America lead the way while calling Bush a terrorist and an idiot. Though Bush isnt the greatest public speaker in the world, the man is far from an idiot. I witnessed liberals and democrats everywhere say that he was never their president anyways.

So to conclude: Its great that we have our first black president, this was truly a historical moment (be that as it may, neither of these two things are good reasons to elect someone as president which I’ve witnessed A LOT!). But don’t you shake your fist at our president, blame him for your misfortunes that are your own fault, and then tell me to respect Obama! I will show him the same level of respect deserved, as president Bush.
That's an infantile attitude in my opinion because Bush did it to himself. He made himself worthy of no respect. He failed even his own party which is one reason why McCain wasn't elected. How can we respect someone who respects a nonthinking dud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:19 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,343 times
Quote:

I’d like to make it clear first, I am not a Republican, Democrat, conservative nor liberal. I’m an independent. I don’t cling to a political party and vote blindly like a sheep. Im conservative on some issues, liberal on others, somewhere in the middle on most.

Moving forward…
Yesterday while in my evidence class, my professor, a self proclaimed liberal, makes a few sarcastic comments about President Bush and how she’s delighted about Obama being elected president. “Im glad your happy” I sarcastically thought, as I turned to my friend and said, “this is a classroom, leave politics at the door.” At the end of class, she makes a couple other comments and says, “whether you like Obama or not, you have to respect him.”

WTF is this? You mock the president, and tell me to respect the new president?! Firstly, don’t tell me who to respect. I respect those that I feel deserve it. Secondly, neither you, nor any other Bush hating liberal can look at me and tell me to respect Obama. Seriously. You NEVER gave Bush a chance, so don’t be a hypocrite

Since the day Bush was elected president I have witnessed the scorn, contempt, and disrespect towards him. The day it was announced that Bush beat Gore people swore that Bush will never be “their” president as they swore allegiance to Gore. Even years later, while Bush served our country as president, their “president” Gore was on his jet to and from Antarctica serving the polar bears.

I have seen President Bush be blamed for 911, and for New Orleans. I witnessed our entire country, immediately after 911, begin to point our fingers at Iraq while saying that Sadam hates us as much as Bin Lade and probably has bigger weapons. I watched our congress agree to this and we all felt better after invading Iraq. I watched the pride in most of my country as we witnessed Iraqi citizens tear down those Sadam statues. Yet, when it was found that the nukes weren’t in Iraq I watched as many people, including our politicians, turn the other face all while yelling “Impeach Bush!”

I’ve seen the same greedy pigs out there with two SUV’s and taking out stupid –interest only – and – Negative Amortization – loans trying to make a quick buck, blame Bush for the economy.

I witnessed professors across college campuses in America lead the way while calling Bush a terrorist and an idiot. Though Bush isnt the greatest public speaker in the world, the man is far from an idiot. I witnessed liberals and democrats everywhere say that he was never their president anyways.

So to conclude: Its great that we have our first black president, this was truly a historical moment (be that as it may, neither of these two things are good reasons to elect someone as president which I’ve witnessed A LOT!). But don’t you shake your fist at our president, blame him for your misfortunes that are your own fault, and then tell me to respect Obama! I will show him the same level of respect deserved, as president Bush.
You don't realize - but which you will as time passes - is that Obama supporters could care less about your resentment of Obama or your anger over the way Bush was treated... You'll just have to stew in your own hatred...

Obama won a landslide victory - and we will give him the support he needs to ensure that he is a very successful 2-term president - and that he fixes many of the things that the Bush Republicans broke almost beyond repair these past eight long years..

Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
OP please stay in school.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 PM

714 posts, read 1,538,942 times
PERFECT POST!!! I'm with you ALL the way! The reason I am who I am, I owe to a liberal professor. I took a social welfare class as a freshman elective. Up to that point, I could have cared less about politics. All I knew from my parents and family was that it was important to vote, BUT at that time that was about it.

I always speak my mind and always have. I forget what we were even talking about in class, but something I said about welfare set the teacher off....

In front of the entire class she said ..."HUH....Tell me that your are not a damn Republican"

I said....we'll I'm not exactly sure what that means although I can tell you that I stand by my previous comment. We'll that night I went home and started to educate myself about Republicans.

Hmmm. Yes. Yes. and Yes. I went back to class and informed the teacher that that is EXACTLY what I was.....and thanked her..been in politics ever since.

Had I not been a confident person and very outgoing with thick skin.....that could have been really bad. Some of my friends would have crawled in a hole of embarassment for the way she treated me the rest of the semester and the way she talked down to me. I personaly found it funny, but seriously professors should not be able to push their views on you. For God's sake, I had peers laughing at me everyday....

Good news is I was blessed with a little arrogance and all it did was fuel me more

I would complain about the professor....isn't that what liberals do when they are offended?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
well let's see, Dubya has put the US into the toilet in every way imaginable. I'm sorry you Bush supporters think he is worthy of respect but he is not. I didn't agree with Reagan either but I at least respected the man as our President.
The viotrolic hate thrown at Obama is beyond absurd and the man hasn't even been sworn in yet.

PS: to Big Jon, you don't start two Wars while cutting taxes multiple times. This is Bush's fault because it is Economics 101. Spending $10 billion a month in IRAQ while giving tax cuts to people and borrowing from China leads to a eventuality that if we did this in our personal lives we would have been BANKRUPT a long time ago.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
It's PRESIDENT BUSH until Hussein takes office.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:59 PM

714 posts, read 1,538,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbeaches View Post
it's president bush until hussein takes office.

President Bush!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 02:42 PM

521 posts, read 1,628,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
B. I gave Bushy a chance, he blew it.

C. Bush has no respect for anyone.

D. Bush did nothing to earn respect.

E. YOU base your respect on what respect was shown for someone else? Weird! (and NOT true respect)

G. Haven't seen much respect from people who aren't Democrats for Obama...slam, slam, slam, BEFORE he even IS President which BTW

So , remember, you must show absolute respect for him no matter what he does or you are very TWO-FACED!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Retaliatory "I'm going to make America an awful place because I'm ticked I didn't win" posts are a nightmare to me, but what can I say.
I think people like you guys are misconstruing the essence of my post.
What Im basically trying to say is that there have been alot of people that never gave Bush an ounce of respect since day 1! When the whole fiasco in Florida got cleared up people already began to yell out that President Bush will never be their president. He hadnt done anything yet, yet people already hated him. From there on end, it was a winless battle for Bush where he got blamed for everything. 911, Iraq, New Orleas, the economy. No respect for him. Ironically, these people also said that other countries do not respect us, well why would they respect us when our people cant even respect our president?

Whereas if you gave Bush a chance, respected him like the respect he deserved, yet didnt end up liking him, thats fine. Your'e entitled to your opinion but at least you gave him a chance. But if you never gave him a chance nor respect, I blame you for the downturn of our country and dont be a hypocrit and tell me to respect Obama.

And Im not going to retaliate by hating Obama. I will show our new president respect and support his policies. I hope that he does a tremendous job for the sake of our country. At the same time however, we need to be critical of the decisions he makes.

Last edited by wesside; 11-08-2008 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-08-2008, 03:12 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:

Moving forward…

What an EXCELLENT post! I highlighted in red the points you made that echo what I have been thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections