Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:29 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just in case you missed it the first 20 times that I have posted this, once again, The Earned Income Tax Credit has been around since it was enacted by Gerald Ford and expanded by RONALD REAGAN!

Earned income tax credit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm well aware of the EITC. Obama wants to "tax the rich" to offset the payroll taxes paid by the lower income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:03 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I don't know all of Joe's Quotes, but I don't think that is the issue.

The problem isn't taxing somebody and giving the money to someone who has none. That is offering a hand up to somebody down on their luck. The issue is taking tax dollars from someone who has alot & giving it to someone who has a little just to make it more "fair" That is wrong.

You do realize that this makes post has not even a nodding acquaintance with logic, don't you?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,490 times
Quote:
I don't know all of Joe's Quotes, but I don't think that is the issue.

The problem isn't taxing somebody and giving the money to someone who has none. That is offering a hand up to somebody down on their luck. The issue is taking tax dollars from someone who has alot & giving it to someone who has a little just to make it more "fair" That is wrong.
What's the difference between down on your luck and having a little to you? If I have too little to pay for basic needs like housing and medical care then I would say I'm down on my luck.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:26 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Again, it isn't that he took welfare. It is that he would deny anyone else the helping hand that he once needed. He calls giving the working middle class a tax cut "taking money out of someone's pocket...just stealing." But he didn't look at it that way when HE was the one needing a hand up.
Have you tried watching the news these past two days? The tax increase on the EVIL rich is not going to happen. Neither is the other 500 freebies Obama promised you.

And many people whio dug into Joe's past are going to be fired and sued. So enjoy these stories while you can.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 PM

714 posts, read 1,538,942 times
Quote:
Jeez, a guy who was on welfare actually has worked his way up to almost owning a business.

What is this country coming to?

Imagine that.....SOMEONE didn't abuse the system...isn't that common.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
What's the difference between down on your luck and having a little to you? If I have too little to pay for basic needs like housing and medical care then I would say I'm down on my luck.
Down on your luck = Not having a job for an extended period, needing a boost to get you thru until you can stand on your own to feet. Using tax dollars for this is OK.

Having little means being in a longer term lower middle class situation. Taking money from someone making $250k and passing it to someone making below the median just to "spread the wealth" is Socailism.

Its the differnce between a safety net and a hammock.

That to hard to understand?

Old 11-08-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You do realize that this makes post has not even a nodding acquaintance with logic, don't you?
Maybe not be worded right.

It is the difference between a hand up & a hand out.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:18 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Whats amazing and it goes uncontested is: Joe put Obama on the spot. Joe is then crusified by the Obama fanatics. They are making Joe a symbol. A symbol of what happens to those who are not devout to Obama.
I don't blame Obama for this. I blame the freaks who can't get past that not everyone thinks Obama is the second coming.
Obama won and I feel we all owe him a fair chance. The same fair chance we would all expect for ourselves. Judge me on my performance not perception of how you think I might do.
I voted Obama and can tell you the many of that did, don't consider him the 2nd coming. Nearly any intelligent Democrat could have won against McCain this time around. Obama has many obstacles to overcome, but he surely doesn't have big shoes to fill.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
This clown was a Republican mascot. Did you really expect any less hyprocrisy?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:01 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I have no problem with someone being on welfare temporarily if they lose their job, it's the ones who try to turn it into a career that make me sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections