Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 10:45 PM

714 posts, read 1,543,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is not part of the Democratic Party platform to pledge never to leave the country, not even for a vacation. I still think you're jealous, or you wouldn't have over-reacted like that, with a put down of the daughter's success.
Wow....you need to re read...it wasn't the first post. What is wrong with people? Do you not read?

I KNOW IT'S NOT LIKE THE DEMS TO PLEDGE NEVER TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY!!! That is EXACTLY what I was making fun of......!!!!!!!!

: smack::s mack:
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 PM

172 posts, read 487,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Thanks unions....
Simple answers from simple people...

The reason for Detroit's decline is because it was artificially inflated due to the auto industry starting out there. It never had the geographical advantages that Chicago, or even Toledo and Cleveland had/has (both great lakes access & mainline rail access to the midwestern hinterland and the large east coast market), but a metropolis grew because Henry Ford and a few other early automakers decided to keep the business in the hometown. As this industry grew, suppliers sprouted up and demand for housing skyrocketed; at one time, Detroit had almost as many people as Chicago has now (about 2.5 mil). This heavy reliance on the auto industry and therefore the oil industry (when oil cost increases, car sales decrease). Top this off with global competition, poor management choices (why did they insist on building large gas guzzling cars and then do it again later on with the SUVs????!!), and yes, union protections giving johnny the bolt gun operator $20+ per hour, and you have the auto industry contraction (and therefore community contraction in detroit and environs) that is now occuring. Michigan is the only state in the union that is in a DEPRESSION not merely a recession.

The republicans offered no solution but to let the free-market do its thing with Detroit (aka Let them rot), while Obamas background, plan, and statements lead me to beleive he will invest government money in the area with the new energy economy as well as infrastructure improvements (which the state BADLY needs) that could give Detroit that transportation advantage and maybe position it as an efficient US-Canada tradezone, as well as provide jobs directly with the infrastructure projects (just like the WPA did)

And now, not only Michigan, but our whole country is in deep doo-doo right now, and it's going to take more than war mongering, tax breaks, and deregulation to fix it. If I had to choose between Reagan and Obama, I would still have voted and supported Obama. I rest much easier at night knowing that he will be taking control! And if he makes stupid moves and screws us over, you can throw a pie in my face...

Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,927,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
I was simply saying that liberals seem to be so worried they want "change" that they are rewarding their children by taking them on vacation abroad, while America is facing an extreme economic crisis.
Me, one person. Me not all the liberals. Work hard. Make money. Pay taxes. Pay lots of taxes. Love children. Love community. Volunteer many hours. Donate money to church and three favorite charities. Love to travel. Love to spend lots of time with children. Daughter away to school six years. Home infrequently. Love daughter. Take daughter on trip of a life time. Spend much time with daughter. Work hard. Make money. Pay taxes. Save money. Take trip with daughter.

Better now? Easier for you to understand? No? Decrease intake of medicated GOP Kool-aid and read again tomorrow.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:08 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,098,318 times
Quote:
Wow....you need to re read...it wasn't the first post. What is wrong with people? Do you not read?

I KNOW IT'S NOT LIKE THE DEMS TO PLEDGE NEVER TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY!!! That is EXACTLY what I was making fun of......!!!!!!!!

: smack::s mack:
You must have one whale of a headache. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That is a rather large leap of logic, there.
Fiscal conservatives (and no, that does not mean republican) are well aware that there are people who will need help from the government so that they do not end up living in the street, or is some modern form of an institution. The elderly would be one group, and the disabled another. As would children.
What fiscal conservatives despise is the welfare system that has devolved into such fraud that generations of families have become dependent upon it....enslaved if you will. That is wrong for the country, but more importantly it is wrong for those people. Imagine living without any hope of leaving the housing project you, your mother and quite possibly your grandmother was born in.
Fiscal conservatives are fine with temporary welfare, to help people get back on their feet as it was originally intended. Don't you agree?
Yes, it was a large leap which is no different and no less wrong than lumping all people who require the assistance from their state or the federal government into one group. The Obama hater's on this forum have a knack for lumping everyone and everything they don't like into one pile and calling it 'fact'. The welfare system is flawed, no doubt about it. I agree with you on that point. The problem is that many conservatives want to cut the entire system out leaving the disabled, the elderly, and the children out in the cold along with the welfare cheats. I'm all for a system that requires you work for what you get; be it cleaning up the road sides, flipping burgers, whatever. I'm all for helping others get an education so they can get off the welfare rolls. I don't believe in welfare for those who are capable of working but choose not to work. I don't know anyone liberal or otherwise who believe anyone should get something for nothing. Those who spout that lie are ignorant and choose to believe those lies rather than accept the fact that conservatives and liberals are closer regarding this issue than they want to believe. If they did, where would they direct all that vented up hatred?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 PM

38,655 posts, read 26,469,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
As a business owner, I am cutting back on the amount of work I am subcontracting to others, doing more of the work myself. I figure I will need the extra money, and the more I have others do, the more money going out of my business to pay for their services. In the interest of cash flow, I'm keeping more of it to myself. I spent all day today doing work that I have always subcontracted to others to do. I do this because I am not optimistic about what is going to happen with Obama at the helm. I don't think taxing people, ANY people, is going to help the economy; on the contrary, I think it is going to make things much worse.

I also have seen my 401k drop dramtically in the three days since Obama was elected. For now I will leave that alone, but I am watching it closely.

Buy GE!

With all the battery talk going on, I think maybe I see how he is going to "thank" NBC, MSNBC and the UAW all at once.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Me, one person. Me not all the liberals. Work hard. Make money. Pay taxes. Pay lots of taxes. Love children. Love community. Volunteer many hours. Donate money to church and three favorite charities. Love to travel. Love to spend lots of time with children. Daughter away to school six years. Home infrequently. Love daughter. Take daughter on trip of a life time. Spend much time with daughter. Work hard. Make money. Pay taxes. Save money. Take trip with daughter.

Better now? Easier for you to understand? No? Decrease intake of medicated GOP Kool-aid and read again tomorrow.
I got it the FIRST time! Same story, still think the same.....Get ready to pay higher taxes....Have fun "traveling abroad" just make sure you print your pictures in the US....we need the business!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I got it the FIRST time! Same story, still think the same.....Get ready to pay higher taxes....Have fun "traveling abroad" just make sure you print your pictures in the US....we need the business!
Oh, shoot! I was planning on using my digital camera and printing them on my home printer. SD cards take up so little space. But, if you think it will help, I will dig out my old 30mm and will start stocking up on film.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Oh, shoot! I was planning on using my digital camera and printing them on my home printer. SD cards take up so little space. But, if you think it will help, I will dig out my old 30mm and will start stocking up on film.
That's ok you can print them .....notice I said to print them in the post! You will need ink at some point so maybe you could get that at a US store?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:29 PM

998 posts, read 1,517,527 times
Quote:
You might want to get some crates of food and barrels of water.

Obama is bringing the end of the world, remember?

*secret lefty wink*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections