Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 04:46 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,653,658 times

Advertisements

<Cambridge, MA> In a study released from the Blackhead Institute, the impact of capitalization on readership of articles was discovered to have the inverse effect expected by the users.

Researchers used the a survey of reader response to gauge both intention of authors and resultant readership across a range of political articles. According to the abstract, the percentage of letters capitalized had an inverse effect upon readership of entries on popular message boards.

In a separate study, it was also discovered that the higher percentage of capitalization was linked to a reduced content level and readability coefficient in the referenced articles. Whether these are causal factors, and whether the lower content levels and readability coefficients might be related to the reduced readership are questions that remained unexplored in this study.

Dr. M. A. Zing felt, though, that his planned follow-up study into the areas suggested by these works might prove very fruitful, and provide some direction for improving the overall quality of posts. Not everybody was quite so confident, feeling that "people who write those things never listen to anybody anyway. Why should they listen to us?"

The next study is due to start on November 5th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,233,811 times
Thanks, now I understand why I quit opening threads authored my Exit MA Now

Old 11-10-2008, 04:55 PM

972 posts, read 1,334,928 times
Yes you can not read it as well. As an Ebay seller back in the day I learned fast
Stars work (they do not work anymore) -- all caps do not work.

But one word in caps still works better than proper-case

Isn't it SWELL that Obama won !

Old 11-10-2008, 05:53 PM

998 posts, read 1,518,947 times
IQ is inversely proportionate to the number of capital letters contained in a thread title.

Possibly age too.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 PM

945 posts, read 1,977,636 times
My guess, and it is a good one, is that a poster would post in caps if he has a vision issue and cannot see the screen well. The caps allows him to pick out his threads. The caps are for him, not meant for others.

Just a guess.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,740,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
<Cambridge, MA> In a study released from the Blackhead Institute, the impact of capitalization on readership of articles was discovered to have the inverse effect expected by the users.
*******That's why people in the "know" have switched to ****asterisks******.*******

Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,653,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
My guess, and it is a good one, is that a poster would post in caps if he has a vision issue and cannot see the screen well. The caps allows him to pick out his threads. The caps are for him, not meant for others.

Just a guess.
It's as good a theory as any.

For me, the "Find all threads started by _______" function works really well - the most recent ones come at the top.

I also use the "Increase Font Size" function on my browser when my eyes aren't handling the size well.

But without a doubt, the caps distinguish a post really well. The problem is that they are interpreted as histrionics, and as the good Dr. Zing observed, there seems to be at least a correlation between the two.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,211,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Thanks, now I understand why I quit opening threads authored my Exit MA Now
**************ME tOO!!!!!!******************

Old 11-10-2008, 09:52 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,480,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
**************ME tOO!!!!!!******************
You "forgot" to use some misplaced "quotation marks" in there.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,843,742 times
It's the same thing with threads that have the word "Hussein" in the title in reference to someone other than the former Iraqi dictator. Just another subtle reminder that there's nothing worth looking at inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections