Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:11 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,359,700 times

Advertisements

Technically, Obama is African American, but not black. He's half African (Kenya on his Father's side) and half American. He's NOT descended from slaves, and he's not a black American. I don't really see his election as that much of a barrier because we've still never elected someone who came from slaves to the highest office. Most black people in America are NOT African-American, and those who claim the term are stupid and false. They are black American, not African American. I dated a girl once who was African American. Her father was a 4th generation South African dutch man with blond hair and her mother was an American jew. She was a white Jewish girl, and she was more "African-American" than Halle Barry or any other black person in this country.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:25 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,088,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Technically, Obama is African American, but not black. He's half African (Kenya on his Father's side) and half American. He's NOT descended from slaves, and he's not a black American. I don't really see his election as that much of a barrier because we've still never elected someone who came from slaves to the highest office. Most black people in America are NOT African-American, and those who claim the term are stupid and false. They are black American, not African American. I dated a girl once who was African American. Her father was a 4th generation South African dutch man with blond hair and her mother was an American jew. She was a white Jewish girl, and she was more "African-American" than Halle Barry or any other black person in this country.
Wow, some of you amaze me. So you're only a "black American" if you are a descendant of slaves in the continent of North or South America? So all the African immigrants, and their children and grandchildren are not "black" huh? They have to have come here before slavery was outlawed to be "black" in your book? Oh. All rightie then!Sorry buddy, but if you've got more than enough African blood in you to distinguish your heritage (as Nooyorker noted lots of presidents could have easily had African blood as a lot of people "passed" for fully white back in the day if they looked white enough), you are BLACK in this country. In my view your ethnic label has to do with both where you originated AND how you are categorized in your country.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,751,960 times
Quote:
absolute b.s.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:32 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,325,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
I've heard people say that if Obama was much darker, he would have had a more difficult time. Apprently they believe that the lighter you are, the more accepted you would be among white people. I dont agree with that but I've heard a number of people say this. Personally I think its just another negative excuse that people use as to why Obama was elected.
Exactly. Obama could have been as dark as tar and he would have still won because he's not your "Black angry man" that White America fears, you know like Spike Lee, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton and even to a degree Danny Glover. Obama had the right ingredient and being Black even helped.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:44 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,088,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Exactly. Obama could have been as dark as tar and he would have still won because he's not your "Black angry man" that White America fears, you know like Spike Lee, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton and even to a degree Danny Glover. Obama had the right ingredient and being Black even helped.
In your mind, you're an "angry black man" when you complain about discrimination. In your mind there is no more discrimination so what are they so angry about? Get real (and your head out of your ass).

Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,428,656 times
Good thing Obama's the racial uniter.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:35 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,038,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post

any thoughts?

I guess he wuldnt if you axked that rite.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:42 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,038,060 times
Quote:

Actually, I think he is the son of that horrid, pathetic Commie Frank Marshal Davis. So, in my opinion he is of slave patronage.

Then again, he is half white.

Why doesn't anyone care about that? He's a half CRACKER! They can't be a smarty pants...

I'm sick of the race baiting. I think he is a fraud, a Marxist and I really, really wish he'd pull his hand out of his pants. Not looking cool, looking like a hood/thug. Oh...please bring the RACIST calls forward.

My, how America has sunk.

Fell for a jerk because he was black. MLK must be turning in his grave.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:40 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,325,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
In your mind, you're an "angry black man" when you complain about discrimination. In your mind there is no more discrimination so what are they so angry about? Get real (and your head out of your ass).

I see reading and comprehension was never your strong point. I typed "angry black man" in quotes to emphasis the term as a "label" given to some Blacks who are more vocal and unapologetic. Some call it old style and some say there is no longer a place for people like Jessie Jackson - I say bull**** there always will be a place. Obama is just more palatable to most and non threatening.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:16 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,751,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Actually, I think he is the son of that horrid, pathetic Commie Frank Marshal Davis. So, in my opinion he is of slave patronage.

Then again, he is half white.

Why doesn't anyone care about that? He's a half CRACKER! They can't be a smarty pants...

I'm sick of the race baiting. I think he is a fraud, a Marxist and I really, really wish he'd pull his hand out of his pants. Not looking cool, looking like a hood/thug. Oh...please bring the RACIST calls forward.

My, how America has sunk.

Fell for a jerk because he was black. MLK must be turning in his grave.
MLK turns over in his grave when bigots invoke his name and distort his message...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections