Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:50 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
WOW, I actually agree with you for once! Weird.

American greed is what brought this crisis on. We all have to have a large McMansion, with two huge SUV's, guzzle as much gas as we possibly can, a big boat, maybe a motorhome, a large yard, a tractor, and more more more plastic crap bought on credit. My generation will never live the luxury of my parents generation, and it doesn't even bother me.
No, "we all" don't and didn't! SOME did, SOME didn't.

Sorry, but I have a problem with those who lump all of one generation together. NO generation is/was better than the other...humanity never changes.
EVERY generation(generations overlap BTW) has had SOME who don't have true values, SOME who can't tell a need from a want, SOME who are thrifty and save, SOME who are smart and have NO credit card debt (there's nothing wrong with spending money that you HAVE but if anyone thinks a piece of plastic is money they're in trouble).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 12:56 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,041,217 times
I save like mad and spend very little. But if I ever got a lottery win, then you'd know I was alive!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:58 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,937,235 times
^true, but there is a large difference between how my grandparents lived and how my parent's baby boom generation lived. All four of my grandparents (all passed away now) lived on saving for things and not using credit.

My parents (which you are right, did not excessivley spend on credit) used credit to buy everything. They were responsible and paid it off. However the times are changing where my generation will not be able to use credit like the generation before me. Humanity wont change, but the values and ways of living will be forced to change. We see where it got us.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:02 PM

158 posts, read 405,685 times
Default I'm not nearly as certain as you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
This is ONE woman's views on HER religion. She does NOT speak for all Christians. God does NOT hate.
How can you be so sure......??

Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 PM

Default Atheism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I kind of doubt that because a lot of the Obama supporters don't pray. I saw a few profiles on this board saying atheist, and one attacted me privately. That person has no God. His God is the Devil. Without God there is no hope. Sometimes the devil wins over.

Diane G
Your argument is just plain stupid. Atheists don't believe in the so-called christian god, the muslim god, the hindu gods, any other gods.... or the devil. Atheists don't believe in ghosts either. Sorry to burst your bubble but these difficult times call for more than blind faith in imaginary, antiquated ideas.

Last edited by Pugetsoundman; 11-14-2008 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 11-14-2008, 04:12 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,642,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I meant of the presidents! Reagan talked a good fundamentalist Christian line, but if you looked into it a bit, he really didn't go to church much, and his own life was not quite so "holier than thou".
Sorry.

But if you just mean presidents, then I am afraid I think TJ's got Reagan beat from morning to night.

Whether it was how he dealt with slavery for so long or his complete and utter conviction concerning the power of the presidency which he tossed out the window in the face of the Louisiana Purchase - knowing the Constitution did not permit the President to make such a purchase, nor empower the Congress to do so, he went ahead and did it, anyway. It's that old "my personal philosophies are getting in my way" trick.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
God does not get involved what man does in the world. He does get involved when you die and you meet you maker. He will judge you for what you have done thru your life on this earth.

By voting for Obama you basically vote for the murder of millions of unborn babies and you will answer to god for your decision at the end.

May god have mercy on everyone's soul that voted for Obama.
Go crawl back under your rock....

Old 11-14-2008, 04:20 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,041,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugetsoundman View Post
Go crawl back under your rock....
You must really like Obama alot!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:23 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,182,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
God does not get involved what man does in the world. He does get involved when you die and you meet you maker. He will judge you for what you have done thru your life on this earth.

By voting for Obama you basically vote for the murder of millions of unborn babies and you will answer to god for your decision at the end.

May god have mercy on everyone's soul that voted for Obama.
Does that mean if you don't believe in increasing (paying increased taxes for) homeless shelters, social security, medicare and medicaid that YOU will have to answer to God? There are more people in poverty now than before the Bush Administration darkened our doorstep.
God is not a magic wand that you can pull out to give approval to ONLY YOUR AGENDA. Why do (some) "Americans" think God only cares about what THEY care about.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Sorry.

But if you just mean presidents, then I am afraid I think TJ's got Reagan beat from morning to night.

Whether it was how he dealt with slavery for so long or his complete and utter conviction concerning the power of the presidency which he tossed out the window in the face of the Louisiana Purchase - knowing the Constitution did not permit the President to make such a purchase, nor empower the Congress to do so, he went ahead and did it, anyway. It's that old "my personal philosophies are getting in my way" trick.
Too True! Plus that affair with his slave. Granted he was a widower, but they were not married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections