Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:41 AM

38,857 posts, read 25,648,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Because we are the greatest country in the world and our current President has God's cell phone number. They text constantly.

But god loves the middle east the most. It's the only place mentioned in his holy book. America isn't so much as an afterthought in god's grand scheem of things. It's the Holy Land all the way.

And that's exactly why the middle east is a peaceful example to the rest of the world and it also explains why Christianity is that region's predominant religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,148,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'm not attacking you. I'm merely stating that there are many in the Christian Community who feel that Sarah Palin is their voice in government. I'm just hoping that there are more Christians like you.
Fundamentalist Christians are a small minority of Christianity.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,391,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Let's assume God listened to prayers from both sides. The pro-McCain camp prayed to God, and the pro-Obama camp prayed to God also. According to the pre-election polls, there were more Obama supporters than McCain supporters. Since Obama won the election, it is safe to assume that the prayers of the Obama supporters must have outweighed the prayers of the McCain supporters.
I kind of doubt that because a lot of the Obama supporters don't pray. I saw a few profiles on this board saying atheist, and one attacted me privately. That person has no God. His God is the Devil. Without God there is no hope. Sometimes the devil wins over.

Diane G

Old 11-13-2008, 10:59 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,650,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Why do Christians use the phrase "It's in God's hands" in one sentence and then when asked why God would allow bad things to happen it's because God gave humans "free will"? Makes no sense to me.
A couple reasons:

Because it is always up to God when or if to intervene.

Because, if one assumes that God has a plan, but that the plan is unknowable, then folks have parts to play that are a part of God's design, hence in His hands.

The argument, as I have heard it, is that God makes all things possible, and then man eliminates most of them.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I kind of doubt that because a lot of the Obama supporters don't pray. I saw a few profiles on this board saying atheist, and one attacted me privately. That person has no God. His God is the Devil. Without God there is no hope. Sometimes the devil wins over.

Diane G
Dear Diane -

The sentences "That person has no God" and "His God is the Devil" are contradictory.

"His God is the Devil" makes no sense, in context, anyway, if he is an atheist.

Do not tell other people what they believe. You would not care for it if others defined your beliefs and labeled you - please do not do so to them.

And, by the way - I am a) an Obama supporter, b) somebody who does not believe in God, and c) somebody who prays - and not to the Devil, in whom I do not believe, either.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,391,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Dear Diane -

The sentences "That person has no God" and "His God is the Devil" are contradictory.

"His God is the Devil" makes no sense, in context, anyway, if he is an atheist.

Do not tell other people what they believe. You would not care for it if others defined your beliefs and labeled you - please do not do so to them.

And, by the way - I am a) an Obama supporter, b) somebody who does not believe in God, and c) somebody who prays - and not to the Devil, in whom I do not believe, either.
If you don't believe in God then who would you pray to? An Idol? Which according to Christanity and Judaism is sin according to one of the 10 commandments. It only proves my point, since you were not the one that attacked me, that a lot of Obama supporters are Atheist.

Diane G

Old 11-13-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
If you don't believe in God then who would you pray to? An Idol? Which according to Christanity and Judaism is sin according to one of the 10 commandments. It only proves my point, since you were not the one that attacked me, that a lot of Obama supporters are Atheist.

Diane G
I'm not an atheist. I'm an agnostic.

And I do not pray to...

I pray for.

And Christianity and Judaism are hardly the only religions on the planet - they do not even represent the majority of the people on the planet who believe in deities.

Also, I know atheist supporters of McCain, too.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,208,099 times
Quote:

Diane G
Why do you NEED something to pray to?
Aren't you repubs independent types who take care of themselves and don't need help?

Please post proof that "a lot" of Obama supporters are atheists.

Then post proof that being an atheist makes one a bad person.(Hint: It doesn't)

(And , no, I don't expect to see any proof, just asking.)

Old 11-14-2008, 05:16 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,081,379 times
I am a Bible-believing Christian. I firmly believe that there IS a GOD and that HE has complete control over all (every aspect) of our lives, including the election. HE also allows us free will.

That being said, I was disappointed in the selection of Sarah Palin. As a proposed leader and a self-professed Christian, she held herself up to the standards of the Bible concerning leaders. That pretty much disqualified her as she had a pregnant daughter and she continually tore down others (Obama, etc) with her mouth. Many other self-professed Christians did the same. (tore down their opponents) I chose not to vote for any of the ones that did that because my knowlege/understanding of the Bible explicitedly (sp?) prohibits that.

I know that many Christians can be divisive. That is beyond my understanding. If, indeed, this is the beginning of the end as many Christians are fearfully shouting...well, great! I really don't need to be around here for this failing economy and other crap....let me go to Heaven and walk the streets of gold...and not have to worry about my job or anything else! If not, well, then, what can I do to help?? Instead of fuming and dividing...we can all pitch in and do something to bring this country back to where it was.

There may be two ways to look at Obama's election from a Christian standpoint: 1. it really IS the beginning of the end and things will start happening along those ways. 2. (most likely) This will bring people closer together to see the actual Truth and work towards the overall betterment of the country.

By the way, I voted for the most qualified individual, not the one that said he shared my belief system. (I am far too cynical for that) Yes, I did vote for Obama.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:33 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,917,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Sarah Palin:

Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin describes herself as a "hard-core pro-lifer" and expresses confidence that in spite of disheartening polls, "putting this in God's hands, that the right thing for America will be done at the end of the day on Nov. 4.

Palin: Election Day Results Are Up To God

Does this mean that God hates Republicans? Or does he hate Americans in general?
Considering Obama Is either a Muslim or a atheist....I'll go with God split on america or soon will under the new leader !! I'll take a pro-lifer anyday...hey but thats me, God,Bibles and Guns...old school ! new school is No guns,Bibles,God...and free health care and drivers licenses for all border jumpers....yippie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections