Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,439,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I don't agree with everything the Democrat party offers- but since I am ardently pro choice and I support same sex unions and marriages, I don't often find my values aligned with those of the Republican candidates.
I personally would never want a child of mine aborted but, I don't think the amendment should be overturned, nor do I think it ever will. As Supreme Court justice Roberts repeatedly said when repeatedly questioned about cases regarding Roe vs. Wade during the Congressional hearings to approve his appointment, "It's very old well established law".

I think there are a lot of Republican congressmen (and women) that have no interest in seeing Roe vs. Wade ever get overturned but, they're not going to go as far as saying they're pro-choice because, it would be like committing political suicide. I know Giuliani was pro-choice but, that would have been a problem for him (and was) running for president.....mayor of New York, that's a whole different story.

Unless the republican candidate is really beating the pro-life drum throughout their campaign tour, I wouldn't let that keep you from voting for a republican.

Unfortunately it's difficult for any state to make a minor adjustment in the law without the far right jumping on the band wagon and trying to make more out of the proposed bill than it's original intention.....followed up by the far left screaming about women's rights (even when we're talking about a 14 year old).

Same sex marriage has got a long road ahead of it I think....not in this life time (especially if they keep fighting instead of asking for change). When cities like San Francisco just suddenly disregard the state and federal law and the mayor decides to start allowing same sex marriages, I think the entire cause takes two giant steps backwards. Something like that involves shift in social attitude, changes from one generation to the next, not from one year to the next......and that's a huge part of the problem, the lack of children who have gay parents. That's the way things move forward, when the children grow up and become voting citizens and see the need to make changes, that for what ever reason, their parents didn't see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Condoleeza (who names there kid that?) would never have gotten out of the GOP primary season. The GOP is the party of old white men and they would find a reason to choose someone else.
This is what Anonymous Political Junky is talking about.....group think. Domino, wasn't there a young woman running as VP this past election?.....if not that was the hottest looking old white man I've ever seen....lol.

Last edited by Danno3314; 11-13-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 01:18 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,000,398 times
I think it would've been easier for the Obama campaign to associate Rice with the Bush administration, for obvious reasons.

I also think that we put too much emphasis on race and gender. When I hear Obama speak, I don't hear a black man, I hear a modern Bobby Kennedy.

The Republicans don't need anymore gimmicks. They tried that with Palin, hoping that Hillary supporters and independent women would hop on board because she's a lady. Republicans need innovative ideas and solutions, because Americans (finally) see through the b.s.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:34 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,414,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
If Condoleezza Rice had decided to run for president, I wonder how much it would have changed things? The conservative base has never liked McCain and wasn't too happy about him being nominated. Considering his campaign was almost broke and he still managed to get nominated, it tells you what the rest of the registered republican voters thought about their alternatives so, the possibility of Condi having ended up getting the nomination, is very realistic.

If that was the case, with her qualifications (especially with foreign affairs), how many black voters that voted for Obama, would have voted for Condi? How many women voters that voted for Obama would have voted for Condi? Better yet, it could have changed the dynamics of the entire race so much, that Hillary may have ended up being the democratic nominee.....both candidates women. Now how many of the black voters would have voted for Condi in that case?

Now you're really talking about 4 more years of Bush with Condi. How much would it have changed all the theories and accusations regarding race? How about all the gender remarks? What would the ladies on the view have done?....lol. Would we have heard, "If you're white and you vote for Hillary, you're a racist."....or would that no longer have applied (since the candidate that was black, was republican)?

I'm just one of those voters (the majority) that's in the middle, that's tired of having the conservatives think of me as a democrat and the liberals think of me a republican. Actually, they don't think of you belonging to the opposite party, they argue with you as though you belong to the other party. If you're not with them, you're against them, even though there are more of us than them combined and yet they both seem to think they speak for the entire party when they do.

I didn't read past the part in bold.

but I can surely answer that question. It wouldn't have changed things one bit. This was a democrat year, NOTHING short of the democrat (no matter who it was) doing something really really stupid, the dems were going to win this election.

The only chance of the republicans winning this year would have been for the dems to nominate Pretty boy John Edwards then for his sex scandal to come out like it did.

There isn't a human alive who could put the "R" beside their name and win inn this cycle. There has never been a president win the white house when the sitting president was of the same party and had a below 50% approval rating.

Speaking of CR, lets also understand that the last time we elected a cabinet member President, it was Herbert Hoover. And the practice of electing Secretaries of State went out of vogue with the Founding Fathers.

We have absolutely no clue about CRs political stance on pretty much anything. She isn't a politician so she hasn't had to go on record. For all we know she could be left of John McCain. That is no knock on Condi, she is brilliant and I think she has been a great public servant. and I would certainly vote for her if she ran and proved to have policy views that I agreed with. She could be great for the party.

We also don't know what kind of political chops she has. While both brilliant and capable as a public servant, we have no idea if she has the kind of skill set it takes to run a successful campaign. Well qualified people fall short of getting elected because they don't know how to campaign.

Republicans need to remember something Satchel Page once said.
"Don't look back something might be gaining on you!"

There is no reason to look back and say "what if" Its time to review what we've been doing wrong and fix it!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:37 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,414,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I personally would never want a child of mine aborted but, I don't think the amendment should be overturned, nor do I think it ever will. As Supreme Court justice Roberts repeatedly said when repeatedly questioned about cases regarding Roe vs. Wade during the Congressional hearings to approve his appointment, "It's very old well established law".
what amendment?

Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,623,319 times
I saw a recent bio on her which included a few of her personal stances.

Center slight right.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
what amendment?
Excuse me, my mistake, I meant the ruling Roe vs. Wade

Last edited by Danno3314; 11-14-2008 at 06:29 PM..

Old 11-14-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I didn't read past the part in bold.
Well all I can say is, you should have.....your opinions are always more than welcome though.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,581,357 times
Danno you are grabing at straws and if black voters choose Obama it is because they identify with his political ideology and not his skin color. Even if Condi ran instead of McCain it wouldn't have made a difference. The economy was the huge issue along with the war and despite what you may think Social issues due matter to minorties.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:52 PM

MiamiRob

I'm not grabbing at anything....my point is not about how Condi Rice would have made the difference in the republican nominee winning instead of Obama. My point is about having to listen to the two extremes speak as though they're the only people in the country.....having to hear things like, "If your white and you vote for McCain, then you're a racist".....as though there would be no other logical explanation for doing so. In a different scenario, I used Condi Rice as an example.....so let's say it ended up being her and Hillary.......would I have heard the same thing coming from the other side then ("If your white and you vote for Hillary, you're racist"). I hold no preference to either side (that was only an example), the right is just as guilty of dishing out the same kind of conclusions.

BTW, the war took a huge backseat in election compared to where it was through most of the campaigning once the economy became an issue (and giving credit where it's due, General Petraeus taking over, made the "surge" work).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections