Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:37 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,539,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ever hear of provisional ballots? Doesn't sound like it.

The more citizens that vote, the better for the country. We should hang our head in shame at the pathetic turn out in previous elections, and even this one is nothing to crow about as far as turnout.
I'm all for a higher turnout of voters but fraud must be carefully guarded against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 07:05 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,097,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
AP: Same-day registration in N.C. helped Obama : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

Obama took North Carolina, the first Democrat do to so in more than three decades by an unofficial margin of 13,692 votes over John McCain.

Nearly 92,000 new voters registered during the early voting period, which opened after the registration deadline for Election Day voting had passed. And those voters, according to an Associated Press review of registration and exit poll data, were a huge well of support for the Illinois senator.

Without the new law in North Carolina that allows people to register and vote on the same day, McCain would have won North Carolina considering how close it was in the Tarheel State.
I have some questions about the same day registering process. I was in line while folks were doing it and the polling workers were bending over backward and were saying they would accept some items for identification that I would not have accepted like name on utility bill etc.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 6,263 times
Default reason for voting

The only problem that I had this year is some of the younger voters reasons for voting the way they did. My daughters friends all come to my house to hang out. I talked to them about are you voting and for who. Some of the answers for voting for Obama was Macain walks funny-McCain has grey hair and would probley died within a year- my mom told me to vote for him. lol The reason some were voting for Mccain- My dad owns his own business and Obama is going to raise his taxes and I will have to go to Community College instead of Va Tec- Obama is going to make 18 million illegals legal and I will not beable to get a job after college- My bestfiend was killed by a illegal imagrant that got a illegal drivers lic and ran a redlight and killed her and I do not think that illegals should get a drivers Lic.( this one i agree with)

Janice Low

Old 11-15-2008, 07:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,566,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I have some questions about the same day registering process. I was in line while folks were doing it and the polling workers were bending over backward and were saying they would accept some items for identification that I would not have accepted like name on utility bill etc.
A utility bill is a common form of supplemental ID, you have an account, it confirms your address, and it is current, not years old.

Same day registration also means the voter casts a provisional ballot that is not counted until information is verified, and why NC didn't award electoral votes until days after the election. That allows for a speedy process at the polls, which you have interpreted as "bending over backwards". This year over 77,000 provisional ballots were cast, but only 50,000 were counted, meaning 35% were discarded, for various reasons. We have a system of checks and balances, and anything the encourages voters to vote is a good thing.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:47 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,590,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
perhaps the quality of the people. that being said, I assume you all vote for the straight democrat ticket. you probably didn't notice this, but there were lots of people running unopposed for judicial positions in this state. I am also quite embarrassed at the election of bev purdue. munger has a phd in economics from washington university in st. louis. he is also an economics professor at UNC. how in the hell do we elect freaking bev purdue over him? what an embarrassment.
You were the one that said Obama wouldnt win NC

Old 11-16-2008, 05:34 PM

917 posts, read 2,301,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
perhaps the quality of the people. that being said, I assume you all vote for the straight democrat ticket. you probably didn't notice this, but there were lots of people running unopposed for judicial positions in this state. I am also quite embarrassed at the election of bev purdue. munger has a phd in economics from washington university in st. louis. he is also an economics professor at UNC. how in the hell do we elect freaking bev purdue over him? what an embarrassment.
See I knew you were smart, you're just on the wrong side!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections