Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:28 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Wait a minute, there's a Carter with 2 brain cells to rub together???
Sadly yes, this person seems to have about 2 brain cells.

But J. Carter does have a grand-nephew named Luke Usry.

"If it's not going to be on the test just assume it's Communistic hate-speech about Republicans and listen to your Ipod."

I suspect this isnt real....

Last edited by delusianne; 11-13-2008 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 03:39 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
How is anything this guy said any different than the same old tired anti-Obama crap we've been hearing ad-nauseum of late?
I was gonna say... this same stuff, with the same wording, is posted over and over again on here every day. He certainly doesn't get points for originality.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:42 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
What's wrong with UG? Not the greatest but certainly not bad by a long stretch, hell it sure isn't Savannah State.
Cause its fun to make fun of Georgia. Has to do with SEC footbaw

Old 11-13-2008, 04:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I just thought that this letter was interesting. I just thought it interesting since the guy is supposed to be young.

IMAGINE RMN FOREVER

I know this young man personally. He attends the University of Georgia, has been a guest in my home several times.

By the way, he is also the grand nephew of ex President Jimmy Carter.

----Original Message----- From: "William Usry"
Sent: Thursday, November 6, 2008 9:30pm I know it's long but hear me out... feel free to forward. -Luke To My Peers:

I know you were all excited last night and will continue to celebrate this morning (afternoon) when you wake up. I hope you savor the emotional high that will surround our future president from now until his inauguration (that's when he'll be sworn in on January 20th…he's not the president yet nor can he walk on water) because after that, the honeymoon will be over. And you have no idea who you just married.

I won't bother going through everything that you would have known about Barack Obama had you done your own research instead of following the ignorant majority (I'll get to that later). It's too late now anyway and as soon as the media turns on him you'll hear things that will make you wonder what happened to the charming, articulate, change-driven man you voted for. Just wait.

In the meantime, here is some advice I humbly offer to help you avoid making the same mistake twice.

1. Recognize that Hollywood, as entertaining and glamorous as it may be, is populated by a large group of people who think that talent equals intelligence and fame inherently causes one to understand our economy and the way the world works. This is not true. Most of them barely graduated from high school and are morons. The same goes for musicians.

2. Know that public speaking ability does not in any way make a person qualified to lead anything nor should it be used to indicate the validity of what that person is saying. Eloquent oration is a skill that is useful to a president but without being paired with adequate experience and wisdom it is completely useless.

3. Learn not to tie emotion to politics. Period. It makes you susceptible to hollow rhetoric (don't try to tell me you didn't just think about "Hope"
and "Change"). We're all guilty of making emotional decisions once in awhile but allowing our feelings to trump our logic on something as important as choosing our next president is like changing your major after downing a twelve pack of Keystone. Translation: it's a really bad idea.

4. Don't be a sheep! This piggybacks off of numbers two and three but not thinking clearly and not doing your own research is dangerous. Know what you're talking about lest you end up baaaaing your way into an ideology that's like a pasture made of Astroturf…it looks pretty and green but is completely fake and useless. Think about it.

5. Realize that most (and notice I said most…not all) college professors, outside of their little academic niche, are completely retarded. They have no perception of the way the world works off campus and are often too busy staring at themselves in the mirror or listening to themselves talk to care. Don't listen to them. If it's not going to be on the test just assume it's Communistic hate-speech about Republicans and listen to your Ipod.

6. Think.

Just some things to consider. Good luck explaining to your parents how you just voted away a lot of their assets along with their nation's security and moral fiber. In the mean time please keep the above in mind for four years from now. Maybe by then you'll have a job and will understand where money comes from and won't be so enthusiastic about giving away other people's.

-Luke

Gives me hope that there is still a few independent thinking young people.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:35 PM

135 posts, read 224,078 times
Sounds like Luke is an other sore loser... "I must be right, therefore everyone else must be wrong, therefore, here's how they all must have been tricked/duped into voting opposite how I did (since I was right)".

It's a great sign of maturity and paramount to your own growth to understand that there always exists the possibility that you are simply wrong, no matter how right you think you are. Whether Luke is right or not, it sounds like this is a lesson he hasn't yet managed to learn...

Old 11-13-2008, 04:39 PM

135 posts, read 224,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Gives me hope that there is still a few independent thinking young people.
Because everyone that voted McCain did so because they chose to (I'm independant, er... unique, just like everyone else?), and no one merely listened to and followed what they saw on Fox News? I am an independant, as I assume many others are, who voted for Obama, McCain, or a 3rd party, but did so of thier own accord, and not because their friends/parents/etc did so, and not because they were "brainwashed" into doing so or were "independant" like all the other 48M+ "independant thinking" McCain voters (I assume that's what you're inferring).

Sounds like you should also try learning what Luke hasn't managed to yet.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,494,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Cause its fun to make fun of Georgia. Has to do with SEC footbaw

OK, I can live with that, tho I follow little school ball I was a fan of Tarkenton who went to UG if I recall correctly.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:30 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,214 times
The Gators at the Bulldogs for dinner at the big game this year.

Speaking of sheep, could this kid be a Rove or Limbaugh in training?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Sometimes you have to use the same language as the person you are trying to speak with, to get your point across.

Calling people "moron" and "retarded" is a common occurrence among people in college. There is no reason not to use the same type of language in his letter, as it was addressed to his peers.
My kids are in college and they have been taught, by me, that calling people "retarded" is disrespectful. I've never heard them say that around me.

How do we know this letter is for real? Funny that the people who wanted to see Obama's original birth certificate, signed in ink, believe this letter is the genuine article.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:49 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
1. Recognize that Hollywood, as entertaining and glamorous as it may be, is populated by a large group of people who think that talent equals intelligence and fame inherently causes one to understand our economy and the way the world works. This is not true. Most of them barely graduated from high school and are morons. The same goes for musicians.
Okay? So, in essence, they are "Joe the Plumbers".

Quote:
2. Know that public speaking ability does not in any way make a person qualified to lead anything nor should it be used to indicate the validity of what that person is saying. Eloquent oration is a skill that is useful to a president but without being paired with adequate experience and wisdom it is completely useless.
I think most of us know this. And those of us who know this AND thought Obama had better ideas/more wisdom ... voted for Obama.

Quote:
3. Learn not to tie emotion to politics. Period. It makes you susceptible to hollow rhetoric (don't try to tell me you didn't just think about "Hope"
and "Change"). We're all guilty of making emotional decisions once in awhile but allowing our feelings to trump our logic on something as important as choosing our next president is like changing your major after downing a twelve pack of Keystone. Translation: it's a really bad idea.
So what if logic led you to vote for Obama? What if some McCain supporters voted out of their emotion? The world, and politics, is not so generalized or black and white ... as to assume that one party votes out of logic while the other one votes by emotion. It's a mixed bag on both sides.

Quote:
4. Don't be a sheep! This piggybacks off of numbers two and three but not thinking clearly and not doing your own research is dangerous. Know what you're talking about lest you end up baaaaing your way into an ideology that's like a pasture made of Astroturf…it looks pretty and green but is completely fake and useless. Think about it.
Again, the world is not so black and white. There are the same amount of "sheep" and "non-sheep" in both parties. If someone disagrees with you, that does not make them sheep. This is such a teenager thing anyway. Culture A thinks Culture B are the follower/sheep type, while Culture B thinks Culture A are. Maybe we all are?

Quote:
5. Realize that most (and notice I said most…not all) college professors, outside of their little academic niche, are completely retarded. They have no perception of the way the world works off campus and are often too busy staring at themselves in the mirror or listening to themselves talk to care. Don't listen to them. If it's not going to be on the test just assume it's Communistic hate-speech about Republicans and listen to your Ipod.
lol

Quote:
6. Think.
I believe most of us do. Because someone disagrees with you - does not mean they are not thinking. It means they see things differently than you. Just as in this whole "letter". I believe you are thinking. I, however, disagree with the results of your thinking.

Quote:
Just some things to consider. Good luck explaining to your parents how you just voted away a lot of their assets along with their nation's security and moral fiber. In the mean time please keep the above in mind for four years from now. Maybe by then you'll have a job and will understand where money comes from and won't be so enthusiastic about giving away other people's.
Thanks for your thoughts "Luke". I hope you (as I do also continually) come to see how the world is more "grey" than black & white (metaphorical speak - not literal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections