Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:33 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,092,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
He isn't even in office yet.
Repukes don't consider facts,they just spew crap for the sake of hearing their empty heads rattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 09:18 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
I really doubt that McCain woukld except;its all just media hype IMO. Look at the makeup of Obama's appointmtnts so far and its hard to see Mccain severing in the administration. Obama has too many spoecial interest groups beating his door down now to attempt this after what he said about Mccain and McCain about him policywise.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:47 AM

722 posts, read 1,110,113 times
I think Obama knows he is going to need a certain amount of cooperation from the Republicans in order to get things accomplished and I think that McCain would be a good liaison for that purpose. McCain is known for going against his party when he feels it is necessary and I think that Obama will need people who will work with both parties. I see nothing wrong with him offering McCain a job, if he felt McCain was qualified for it. And maybe he is thinking of giving him something that isn't part of his administration but hoping to put him on a special project, like global warming issues?

Besides, if Obama goes into this with the idea of only putting people in key positions who have played nice he just eliminated every player in both the Republican and Democratic party.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:25 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,967,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Besides, if Obama goes into this with the idea of only putting people in key positions who have played nice he just eliminated every player in both the Republican and Democratic party.
Actually, Obama has often mentioned that he's inspired by Lincoln, who felt it was wise to choose a cabinet that included many people who had strongly opposed him.

Lincoln's most surprising choice was Stanton for Secretary of War. Biographies note that his advisors said to him: "Mr. Lincoln, are you a fool? Do you know what Mr. Stanton has been saying about you? Do you know what he has done, and tried to do to you? Did you read all of those derogatory statements that he made about you?"

Abraham Lincoln stood before the advisors around him and said: "Oh yes, I know about it; I read about it; I’ve heard him myself. But after looking over the country, I find that he is the best man for the job."

Obama frequently mentions this story--so I think he would be willing to work with someone who "didn't play nice" if he was the best man for a job.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:38 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,268,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Actually, Obama has often mentioned that he's inspired by Lincoln, who felt it was wise to choose a cabinet that included many people who had strongly opposed him.

Lincoln's most surprising choice was Stanton for Secretary of War. Biographies note that his advisors said to him: "Mr. Lincoln, are you a fool? Do you know what Mr. Stanton has been saying about you? Do you know what he has done, and tried to do to you? Did you read all of those derogatory statements that he made about you?"

Abraham Lincoln stood before the advisors around him and said: "Oh yes, I know about it; I read about it; I’ve heard him myself. But after looking over the country, I find that he is the best man for the job."

Obama frequently mentions this story--so I think he would be willing to work with someone who "didn't play nice" if he was the best man for a job.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer...

Old 11-15-2008, 02:03 PM

998 posts, read 1,514,976 times
I think McCain would be in error to take such a position, were it offered. He's been criticized for years by the GOP for playing in the sandbox with the Left, among other things.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
I think McCain would be in error to take such a position, were it offered. He's been criticized for years by the GOP for playing in the sandbox with the Left, among other things.
The GOP's going to throw him under the bus, anyway. They need a scapegoat, and I'm betting it's going to be the Maverick, not Palin, who'll get targeted.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:09 PM

998 posts, read 1,514,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The GOP's going to throw him under the bus, anyway. They need a scapegoat, and I'm betting it's going to be the Maverick, not Palin, who'll get targeted.
I hope you're wrong, as I think that would be a mistake and a shame.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
I hope you're wrong, as I think that would be a mistake and a shame.
It's already started. South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint declared McCain "betrayed conservative principles in his quest for the White House." The tar is being heated and the feathers are being collected.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times
Doorman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections