Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:34 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,455,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Yes with Bill Clinton there was "hard" evidence
Bahahahahahaha!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 10:36 AM

42,732 posts, read 30,003,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Your hatred clouds your judgment and intelligence.
Do you think this applies to you at all?

Bush entered office with the idea that his father should have destroyed Saddam's regime during the first Gulf War. He surrounded himself with men who agreed. One of the first questions he had about 9/11 was whether Iraq had anything to do with it. The international community repeatedly called for Bush to wait for more information about possible WMD's in Iraq before attacking. There are multiple stories from several sources of Bush's antagonism toward Iraq and how his administration reacted favorably to information against Iraq, and unfavorably when the information failed to come to anti-Iraq conclusions. Bush has greater access to intel than Congressional committees, since the intel community actually falls under executive control rather than legislative control. Bush is the boss.

Certainly Congress voted to support the President based on the case the President made that Iraq was a serious threat. Democrats and Republicans. But the case for war was made and pushed by Bush. Bush led that charge. He even went on television to make that case. He sent Powell to the UN to make that case. These are facts.

I don't know that he lied. I think he believed that Hussein had to be removed, and he used all the evidence at his disposal to convince others of that. I agree that Clinton lied. But he also should never have been asked to testify. Sitting Presidents are protected from lawsuits of this nature. The courts should never have caved in to Republican pressure to force him to answer this lawsuit while he was in office. Grand jury testimony is supposed to be protected. His testimony should never have been revealed to the public. Clinton lied about a personal matter, not a criminal matter. How many people plead innocent, even though they are guilty, because that is how the courts work? You want a trial to tell your side, you want to negotiate with a prosecutor for a more lenient sentence. You have to plead innocent, and it's not considered perjury when you do that, because the court system is set up this way. Clinton is/was a lawyer. He knows that court cases are not resolved according to the spirit of the law, but according to the letter of the law. Specific definitions, exacting meanings count. The wrong address on a warrant, poorly defined search parameters, lawsuits are about technicalities. Monica was irrelevant to the case. In open court, that topic wouldn't have been allowed. Grand juries have more leeway because the proceedings are supposed to be confidential. Confidentiality was breached. Clinton lied, but the people prosecuting him abused the legal system. Both things were wrong.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Look, I am not saying that Clinton didn't lie, OK? I am saying that Bush lied, too. Whether you choose to believe it then that is up to you.

So Clinton deserved what he got, I don't know if Bush lied there is no concrete proof as with Clinton. Show me concrete proof and as I said I am there with you but a man is innocent until PROOF is given to the contrary.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Putting aside Clintons lie but has to make you think where his head was at that he would make such a bad decision as Pres

The bigger issue for me is if he would lie about something so stupid what would he do if faced with some really big issue. I voted for Clinton the first time so I am not a right wing nut but after he lied to me and to the court I lost any trust and faith I had in him. i also have a big problem with any person in a position of authority taking advantage of the people under him.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:41 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,461,633 times
Quote:
So Clinton deserved what he got, I don't know if Bush lied there is no concrete proof as with Clinton. Show me concrete proof and as I said I am there with you but a man is innocent until PROOF is given to the contrary.
Yep, just like OJ.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Do you think this applies to you at all?

Bush entered office with the idea that his father should have destroyed Saddam's regime during the first Gulf War. He surrounded himself with men who agreed. One of the first questions he had about 9/11 was whether Iraq had anything to do with it. The international community repeatedly called for Bush to wait for more information about possible WMD's in Iraq before attacking. There are multiple stories from several sources of Bush's antagonism toward Iraq and how his administration reacted favorably to information against Iraq, and unfavorably when the information failed to come to anti-Iraq conclusions. Bush has greater access to intel than Congressional committees, since the intel community actually falls under executive control rather than legislative control. Bush is the boss.
No Bush is nothing but a figure head just like every other President. Congress and the Senate are the control. The President does NOTHING without their approval. Bush had not only Intel from our people but that of other countries. As late as 1998 Clinton officials were talking about SH having WMD's and Lord knows we gave SH enough time to get rid of anything he may have had. As I said I do think going in at the time we did was a mistake but I also think it was only a matter of time before we would have had to do it. I simply do not blame one man for the mistakes of many.

Quote:
Certainly Congress voted to support the President based on the case the President made that Iraq was a serious threat. Democrats and Republicans. But the case for war was made and pushed by Bush. Bush led that charge. He even went on television to make that case. He sent Powell to the UN to make that case. These are facts.
With all due respect that is not the facts. All Intel including Itel from other countries was showing that SH had or at least was trying to archive WMD's. He had them and had used them before. We also did find Sarin gas and all the plans for his WMD arsienol. The man by no means had given up his quest for WMD's. If I were to blame Bush alone that let's every other county off the hook that was providing us Intel about SH and that is simply not something I am willing to do nor is it fair.

Quote:
I don't know that he lied. I think he believed that Hussein had to be removed, and he used all the evidence at his disposal to convince others of that. I agree that Clinton lied. But he also should never have been asked to testify. Sitting Presidents are protected from lawsuits of this nature.
Really? so being President gives you the right to do and lie about what ever you want? Sorry but no. As President he should be held to an even higher standard and should act accordingly. Clinton did neither.

Quote:
The courts should never have caved in to Republican pressure to force him to answer this lawsuit while he was in office. Grand jury testimony is supposed to be protected. His testimony should never have been revealed to the public.
Why, he not only lied to the court but he lied you the American people, that means nothing to you?

Quote:
Clinton lied about a personal matter, not a criminal matter.
you see you make accuses by saying well yes he lied but it was only a small lie. I see a lie as a lie. I could care less what he lied about it is the fact that he lied period that I have an issue with.

Quote:
How many people plead innocent, even though they are guilty, because that is how the courts work?
Nah, nah, nah!! he lied to the American people, live and in color on the airwaves NOT in a court. He did not plead the fifth he out right lied. Sorry but again I am floored at the excuses that surface to protect him. He lied under oath had you or I done that we would have bee in jail for perjury.

Quote:
You want a trial to tell your side, you want to negotiate with a prosecutor for a more lenient sentence. You have to plead innocent, and it's not considered perjury when you do that, because the court system is set up this way. Clinton is/was a lawyer. He knows that court cases are not resolved according to the spirit of the law, but according to the letter of the law. Specific definitions, exacting meanings count. The wrong address on a warrant, poorly defined search parameters, lawsuits are about technicalities. Monica was irrelevant to the case. In open court, that topic wouldn't have been allowed. Grand juries have more leeway because the proceedings are supposed to be confidential. Confidentiality was breached. Clinton lied, but the people prosecuting him abused the legal system. Both things were wrong.
You write this:

Quote:
Clinton lied, but
For me there is no "but". He lied! Period, show over, closing bell, no "but".

Old 11-19-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:

For me there is no "but". He lied! Period, show over, closing bell, no "but".
So you hate Clinton?

Do your feelings cloud your judgment here even a little?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:55 AM

This is an article that discussed Bush's impact on foreign policy. Hmmm, maybe he had more influence than that of a mere figurehead.

Foreign Affairs - Intelligence, Policy,and the War in Iraq - Paul R. Pillar

Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you hate Clinton?

Do your feelings cloud your judgment here even a little?
Nope I don't hate Clinton at all, I actually voted for him the first time.

So no my feelings do not cloud my judgment at all.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Nope I don't hate Clinton at all, I actually voted for him the first time.

So no my feelings do not cloud my judgment at all.
Funny, I don't often call people I like "lying sacks of ****." But I guess you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections