Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times

Advertisements

It's true -- they're trying to bring back the fairness doctrine.

Oh, wait, actually, they're not. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Nonsense!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
you don't think that the democrats would love to silence "conservative" talk radio? give me a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Nonsense!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
The repubs need to learn when someone's "messing with their head". Schumer's a hoot. Why, at this time, would dems even consider making this a priority when they have so many huge problems with which to deal. Limbaugh et al just preach to the choir.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you don't think that the democrats would love to silence "conservative" talk radio? give me a break.
I notice how you parse your words...LOL....such a tool.

Give us a name of Democrat in office or in the Media that wants to reinstate the fairness doctrine???

Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 AM

I believe the word you were looking for was god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Give us a name of Democrat in office or in the Media that wants to reinstate the fairness doctrine???

Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,692 times
"The fairness doctrine was adopted by the Federal Communications Commission in 1949, under the argument that the airwaves were a finite public resource. License holders were considered public trustees, with a responsibility to present opposing viewpoints on controversial issues. It has become obvious by now that the biggest beneficiaries of the doctrine's demise were the conservative media. Last year, a study by the Center for American Progress (CAP) found that 91 percent of weekday talk radio is conservative, compared with just 9 percent that is progressive. Far from establishing an unencumbered marketplace of ideas, the free-market approach, critics complain, edged most voices out of the debate. It's no wonder, then, that conservatives fear the fairness doctrine's return..

from the OP's link to the New Republic:

Bum Rush

I agree with the Fairness Doctrine that the airwaves are PUBLIC and we have the right to hear more than an extremely conservative and non-mainstream view that is on 91% of the airwaves. I can't wait until the day when the airwaves have more progressives, as it stands now the inequity in views is totally UNFAIR!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 AM

0% of talk radio is conservative. name 1 conservative on talk radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
"The fairness doctrine was adopted by the Federal Communications Commission in 1949, under the argument that the airwaves were a finite public resource. License holders were considered public trustees, with a responsibility to present opposing viewpoints on controversial issues. It has become obvious by now that the biggest beneficiaries of the doctrine's demise were the conservative media. Last year, a study by the Center for American Progress (CAP) found that 91 percent of weekday talk radio is conservative, compared with just 9 percent that is progressive. Far from establishing an unencumbered marketplace of ideas, the free-market approach, critics complain, edged most voices out of the debate. It's no wonder, then, that conservatives fear the fairness doctrine's return..

from the OP's link to the New Republic:

Bum Rush

I agree with the Fairness Doctrine that the airwaves are PUBLIC and we have the right to hear more than an extremely conservative and non-mainstream view that is on 91% of the airwaves. I can't wait until the day when the airwaves have more progressives, as it stands now the inequity in views is totally UNFAIR!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Quote:
"Do you personally support revival of the ‘Fairness Doctrine?'" I asked.

"Yes," the speaker replied, without hesitation.
You can look up the link ursef.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
The Fairness Doctrine is a sour-grapes crybaby idea that doesnt do the left any favors. Leave the market alone.

Funny New Republic piece, OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections