Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:33 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,970,587 times

Advertisements

This was copied from another thread so we could start this topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
According to the Politico article, Interior could play an unprecedented role in shaping the new administration’s attempts to regulate greenhouse gas emissions. Interior might try to use the Endangered Species Act to greenhouse gas emission.
Clip:
Jamie Clark, who was the service’s director under President Bill Clinton, was able to work with then-Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt to extend the act to protect species on private land. Clark is on Obama's shortlist for director.
Interior wants hand in emissions rules - Erika Lovley - Politico.com
Here's some candidates being considered for SOI.
Former Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber.
Former Alaska Gov. Tony Knowles.
Sen. Ken Salazar, D-Colo., former executive director of Colorado Natural Resources Department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I believe Kitzhaber was in office when Oregon legalized medical marijuana. According to the Politico article, Interior could play an unprecedented role in shaping the new administration’s attempts to regulate greenhouse gas emissions. Interior might try to use the Endangered Species Act to greenhouse gas emission.
Clip:
Jamie Clark, who was the service’s director under President Bill Clinton, was able to work with then-Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt to extend the act to protect species on private land. Clark is on Obama's shortlist for director.
Interior wants hand in emissions rules - Erika Lovley - Politico.com
Here's some candidates being considered for SOI.
Former Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber.
Former Alaska Gov. Tony Knowles.
Sen. Ken Salazar, D-Colo., former executive director of Colorado Natural Resources Department.
Tony Knowles????? I can't see Obama making that choice. Knowles supports drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and once sued the Clinton administration to regain state control of federal lands. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!

Some other choices:

Representative George Miller (D-CA 7th) is a member of the Congressional Wildlife Refuge Caucus and is also a member of the House Natural Resources Committee (he was chairman of that committee from 1991 to 1994). He has served in the House since 1975, and has a long and distinguished career as a supporter of America’s wildlife species and public land systems.

Representative Norm Dicks (D-WA 6th) is also a member of the Congressional Wildlife Refuge Caucus and is chairman of the House Interior Appropriations Subcommittee. Dicks recently won the 2008 Ansel Adams Conservation Award from The Wilderness Society, mostly due to his efforts to increase budgets for public land systems (including the Refuge System) that had been starved under Republican House rule.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,649,543 times
Send Richardson back to the UN as Ambassador to Venezuela.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:51 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,262,813 times
Can you even be elected in Alaska with supporting ANWR? If Knowles is a serious candidate and not going to run for office in Alaska in the future, maybe he'll flip once he's in WA or senate will let him vote on last so he can vote aye. They do this with Mary Landrieu frequently. That said, will ANWR even make it out of committee and to the floor with the dems in charge? I checked and Mark Begich supports drilling in ANWR. I guess Alaskans need those royalty checks. I didn't realize they have no sales or state income tax. I don't much about Richardson's record on the environment.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,761,834 times
I'd say those are crumbs for Richardson. This guy sold his soul to get a little something more from Obama.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,649,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'd say those are crumbs for Richardson. This guy sold his soul to get a little something more from Obama.

Not much crumbworthiness for those who sell their souls....

Old 11-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:06 AM

Some more info. Kitzhaber's been contacted by Obama reps, but has not been asked to fill out a questionnaire. Salazar says he's had no communication with reps.
Kitzhaber’s is a noted outdoorsman and land-use record includes creating the Governor’s Growth Task Force to help manage state land, particularly in the Willamette Valley. As governor, he vehemently opposed efforts to weaken the state’s land-use restrictions. He was a strong advocate for conservation and water quality issues.

Salazar hasn't been approached for interior post - The Denver Post

Old 11-20-2008, 11:06 AM

A lot people think Obama needs a westerner in this position because the region has major federal land and water use issues that must be addressed. That would fit Richardson, or maybe someone like Montana's Governor Brian Schweitzer.

Wyoming’s Governor Dave Freudenthal has reportedly turned the job down. Another westerner is Colorado Senator Tim Wirth (D-Colo.), who now runs the United Nations Foundation. I'm not sure what he would bring to SOI, but I hear his name frequently connected with this position, so I guess he has credentials

Or, one of the Udalls might have a strong shot for the job. Rep. Tom Udall (D-N.M.) or his cousin, Rep. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) are related to Stewart Udall, who served as interior secretary for Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Actually, SOI could be an interesting spot during this administration. There are a few big controversial issues to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections