Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Obama's been very clear about his fascination with Abraham Lincoln who brought many of his opponents into his cabinet during a time when the country was at a turning point.
I used to live in Illinois. To play devil's advocate, I will say that many Illinois politicians like to think they are the incarnation of Abraham Lincoln.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
How many people has the black widow felled?

If I were BO, I would run for my life, screaming like a girl!

That sounds a bit sexist to me.

Quote:
Just a question...

If a Republican got elected, would Dems be "rallying around the Flag"
Well, who knows? It's all hypothetical. Obama won, McCain lost! Seriously, I am getting tired of posts that go "Well, if McCain (Palin, other Republican did this), the Dems would all be complaining". It is best to stick with reality, and not delve into science fiction, which some of the more radical Conservative Christians disapprove of, in any event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
if they cared about the country, they would have fixed their own state before running for president. NY and illinois are basically wastelands. NY is over taxed, and chicago is a war zone. instead of doing the job they were hired to do, they decided to screw up all 50 states, or in obama's case, 57 states.
Chicago is frequently called "the city that works".

Quote:
True... I could never be a politician

I know how to balance a checkbook

I don't have special interests in my pockets

I know how to make a statement without beating around the proverbial bush
C'mon Pedro! Everyone has "special interests". I work in health care; that makes it a special interest for me. DH works in telecom, that makes it a special interest for him. Our DDs are students, that makes student issues a special interest for them.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-22-2008 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Fix it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:18 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,143,309 times
Quote:
Just a question...

If a Republican got elected, would Dems be "rallying around the Flag"
No, we would be too busy praying, keeping our fingers crossed and bracing for the final blow. After eight years of The Bush Crime Family, the very thought of a McCain/Pallin Presidency which would more than likely include a cabinet stuffed with people like Phil Gramm and Joe Lieberman is bone chilling.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:24 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's AMAZING how you just KNOW what they CARE ABOUT.
The fact is, you don't KNOW anything about what they CARE ABOUT.
You simply have an OPINION.

Ken
Honestly, isn't that all any of us do here? Express our opinion? Including you? We al have reached conclusions, opinions, based on what we know. How we understand what we know affects that opinion, but to tell someone they know nothing just because they don't have your point of view is simply unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
No, we would be too busy praying, keeping our fingers crossed and bracing ....................
And, along with hoping for the very best, that's exactly what the Republicans are doing. I'm not sure why Democrats don't understand that. If we thought Obama was the best man for the job, we would have voted for him. We didn't so we didn't.

So now, we pray, keep fingers crossed and definitely "brace" because if I'm to believe half of what I hear from both sides, it's going to be a very bumpy ride and some of us will be left in the dust .... and not all of those will be Republicans.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:30 PM

425 posts, read 665,869 times
Quote:
How many people has the black widow felled?

If I were BO, I would run for my life, screaming like a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That sounds a bit sexist to me.
It was supposed to be funny - see the green thing smiling?

Quote:
True... I could never be a politician

I know how to balance a checkbook

I don't have special interests in my pockets

I know how to make a statement without beating around the proverbial bush
Quote:
C'mon Pedro! Everyone has "special interests". I work in health care; that makes it a special interest for me. DH works in telecom, that makes it a special interest for him. Our DDs are students, that makes student issues a special interest for them.
Yes, Katiana, I do have special interests but I do not owe them a dog gone thing...

Quote:
I used to live in Illinois. To play devil's advocate, I will say that many Illinois politicians like to think they are the incarnation of Abraham Lincoln.
That was funny

Old 11-22-2008, 12:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
OK, I missed your humor. Glad you liked mine.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:12 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,864,104 times
Just think, Hillary would only have to knock off 4 people to become president!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:28 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
Probably a payoff for her ending her opposition to him earlier this year. She was sayin she had some pretty negative information on him, then she suddenly stops opposing him and backs him. Now he's got to pay her off.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:35 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,635,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
classless, unnecessary, and lying ...... he honors her this way, and makes her a key part of his team. Her political future was essentially in his hands. This is class, folks!

Picking someone who is classless, does things that are unnecessary, and is liar is now "classy". Wow. Amazing logic. I bet we can expect more classless liars to be selected by Obama and his supporters to brag about how classy it is to surround himself with classless liars.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:03 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,346,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Probably a payoff for her ending her opposition to him earlier this year. She was sayin she had some pretty negative information on him, then she suddenly stops opposing him and backs him. Now he's got to pay her off.
The tinfoil hat crowd speaks again.

Ken

Old 11-22-2008, 05:49 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,336,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I could swear I remember Obama saying he was going to change Washington ... now I'm guessing he meant "change it back"
I heard that from FOX news too. What they should have said was Obama's people have ties to Clinton, but for it to look like a Clinton Admin being transplanted to Obama is wrong. The advantage is they already have on-the-job training from the Clinton era.

Clinton
Secretary of State: Warren M. Christopher, 1993, Madeleine Albright, 1996

Obama
Secretary of State: (pending) Hillary Clinton - no position in Clinton Admin. (for a moment dealing strictly with facts.)

Clinton
Secretary of the Treasury: Lloyd Bentsen, 1993, Robert E. Rubin, 1995–1999, Lawrence H. Summers, 1999

Obama
Secretary of Treasury: (pending) Tim Geithner (was a Clinton aide.) at present President of the NY Fed. Vice Chair Federal Open Market Committee.

Clinton
Attorney General: Janet Reno, 1993

Obama
Attorney General: (pending) Eric Holder (aide to Reno) - at present litigation partner "who handles, among other matters, complex civil and criminal cases, domestic and international advisory matters and internal corporate investigations." Covington and Burling LLP

Clinton
Chief of Staff: Mack McLarty 1993–1994, Leon Panetta 1994–1997, Erskine Bowles 1997–1998, John Podesta 1998–2001

Obama
Chief of Staff: Rahm Emanuel (Clinton adviser) House Democratic Caucus chairman, Representing Illinois: at present - Chief of Staff

What they seem to generally have in common is federal government experience, ties to the most previous democratic administration as aides.

Now I know the news media considers people pretty stupid where they connect an aide to Reno as Reno herself or an aide to Clinton as Clinton himself but excuse me for not making the jump that the aides are their bosses under Clinton, void of individual particulars within their individual philosophies. So though I am at present a Republican and I acknowledge they all have ties to a Clinton Administration, some as underlings, I do not agree with the numerous News outlets including FOX that an aide represents the Clinton Administration thereby we have the same old thing... that this isn't a change for Washington, sorry I at present, just don't agree.

Care to further articulate your reasoning why it is McMolly?

Last edited by MadAtMcCain; 11-22-2008 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections