Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,560,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Did you actually read any of your links? Had you, you would have seen them say that members of Congress pay into Social Security just as you do, and that they are subject to the same 401-k rules as you are. There was no mention of private schools. It remains perfectly obvious that those members actually having children residing in DC may choose to send them to private schools (and pay for it) just as you may.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:57 PM

695 posts, read 1,381,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Did you actually read any of your links? Had you, you would have seen them say that members of Congress pay into Social Security just as you do, and that they are subject to the same 401-k rules as you are. There was no mention of private schools. It remains perfectly obvious that those members actually having children residing in DC may choose to send them to private schools (and pay for it) just as you may.
Had you read any of my posts, you'd see that I'm not saying they don't pay into Social Security.

You COMPLETELY missed the point.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Even though your 18-month old article refers to a mayor and school chancellor who are no longer in office, I can just give you the schools. While there are a number of fine schools in the District, the majority of them are in the more upscale neighborhoods, and the citywide system is in need of a lot of attention, which is what it is currently in fact getting.

Meanwhile, you original statement was...

Our nation's capital city is one of the single worst cities - in virtually every category - in the entire nation.

Are you now claiming that public schools are the only category that exists? Or did you have some way to back up your claim in other areas? Culture? Mass transit? Diversity? Job market? Outdoor opportunities? Higher education? Shopping? Dining? Crime? Did you know that DC's overall crime rate has recently been running somewhere in between that of Wichita and Omaha? No, you didn't, did you...

Old 11-25-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Had you read any of my posts, you'd see that I'm not saying they don't pay into Social Security. You COMPLETELY missed the point.
This was your point:

So here's my pondering, chin-scratching question... How quickly might things improve (such as public schools, social security, etc.) if our elected officials had to live like the rest of us?

With respect to Social Security in particular (since this is where it was introduced...by you), in what way do members of Congress get to live differently from the rest of us?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,653,658 times
Quote:
Had you read any of my posts, you'd see that I'm not saying they don't pay into Social Security.

You COMPLETELY missed the point.
Well, Jeffrey, in all fairness, when you consider that you put those links up explicitly in response to a specific set of comments it is not unreasonable for your correspondent to think you meant your links to be directly related.

Perhaps he missed your point because you were... too subtle?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:24 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,653,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
3. Until Barack published his books, they were NOT rich by anyone's standards.
I'm mostly on the same side as you in this discussion, but I couldn't let that comment go by.

A roof. Reliable heat. No hunger or fear of hunger.

Rich by the standards of millions of Americans. Rich by the standards of 10's and probably 100's of millions, world wide.

The family living in their car in the winter would argue with you.

The family living in a cardboard shed on a mud slope in Hong Kong mightn't even have the energy to do that.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:24 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,355,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I don't blame them. I wouldn't send my kid to DC public schools either.

I agree its insane to send Presidents children to the over crowded public school where secret serrvice has a huge problem.

The childrens safety must have priority.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:25 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,773,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I would think 'WE' pay for the Secret Service 24/7.
Yes we do..........

Old 11-25-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Even though your 18-month old article refers to a mayor and school chancellor who are no longer in office, I can just give you the schools. While there are a number of fine schools in the District, the majority of them are in the more upscale neighborhoods, and the citywide system is in need of a lot of attention, which is what it is currently in fact getting.

Meanwhile, you original statement was...

Our nation's capital city is one of the single worst cities - in virtually every category - in the entire nation.

Are you now claiming that public schools are the only category that exists? Or did you have some way to back up your claim in other areas? Culture? Mass transit? Diversity? Job market? Outdoor opportunities? Higher education? Shopping? Dining? Crime? Did you know that DC's overall crime rate has recently been running somewhere in between that of Wichita and Omaha? No, you didn't, did you...
Crime in Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, that good old Washington DC is like the Garden of Eden. There were only about 200 murders, and about 180 reported forcible rapes in 2007.

And by the way, violent crime jumped almost 10% last year in DC. Yeah, it's a GREAT place!
Crime in Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't forget all that clean, pollution-free drinking water they have. I suppose the only reason kids aren't seen swimming in that picture is because it's supper time.
Water Pollution, Washington DC, Pollution Pictures - National Geographic

And I cannot, for the LIFE of me, figure out why Washington DC isn't on the TOP of the list of "most livable cities" in the United States.
America's Most Livable Communities - Home

You know, you're right. I think I'm going to start packing my bags RIGHT NOW so I can go live in Washington DC!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Well, Jeffrey, in all fairness, when you consider that you put those links up explicitly in response to a specific set of comments it is not unreasonable for your correspondent to think you meant your links to be directly related.

Perhaps he missed your point because you were... too subtle?
Okay, here's the non-subtle truth - in case anybody couldn't figure it out themselves: MEMBERS OF CONGRESS DO NOT LIVE LIKE THE REST OF AMERICANS.

I'm hoping that clarifies it a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections