Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Umm........thats not quite right, there are obstacles, for example, in the Senate, there are a minimum of 44 Republican Senators who break records with their filibusters. And thats not mentioning the Michelle Bachman's and her ilk in the House.

There are plenty of obstacles holding us back from progress, but we will prevail, we must prevail, in spite of Republican attempts to continue the Bush legacy of misery, debt and death.
Bush had a majority of Democrats in both the Congress and the Senate -- and obviously they weren't excuses for his administration. You can't just flip around now and say a minority of Republicans is going to NOW be some kind of excuse not to get things done.

Seriously -- if a MAJORITY of democrats couldn't prevent Bush from making mistakes, how can a MINORITY of republicans get in Obama's way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:14 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,555,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Bush had a majority of Democrats in both the Congress and the Senate -- and obviously they weren't excuses for his administration.

Check your facts.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 PM

And apparently the liberal democrats never heard of using a filibuster when they saw that Bush was about to spend extraordinary amounts of money? Money that didn't exist? Why wouldn't they have filibustered to prevent such damage, damage they obviously should have seen was taking place.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:17 PM

7 posts, read 15,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Since both major parties share plenty of the blame for the mess we are in (don't even try to deny the Democrats had a hand in this mess too)...when we get a viable 3rd party that can bring us back to our Federalist Republic roots. Then, and only then, will we truly be in good shape again.
The American people had a part too. They are so far in hock they are unable to stay afloat paycheck to paycheck. Most people have burned the equity in their homes and maxed out their credit cards...now they whine like a pig..."please Government...Bail Me out"

Old 11-21-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
He certainly should be able to do so. Heck -- if Bush was in such a position to control the debt, then Obama can certainly turn it around. Not all at once of course but he can undo what Bush did and start getting that debt down fast.

Bush isn't really the "All-Powerful" after all. He was a mere man who made some decisions that can be unmade. If Bush singlehandedly brought the debt up in such a short time, then Obama with a Congress and Senate solidly behind him can reverse the process -- but again, I'd give a 2 month leeway.

By March the debt should be dropping.
I'm amazed at you being a Bush apologist and not getting paid for it. Are you doing all this work pro bono?

Because convincing people that George W. Bush is not the central figure of blame for the past 8 years of spectacular failure is gonna be a hard sell.

Good luck

Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,448,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Why not? He said he would. I thought he did. I thought he was the answer.
Excuse me. I am not one of those people who thinks he is the Messiah. I think he is a man who is going to try to do what he can to help this country. You got any better suggestions? Why don't you be reasonable enough to give the man a chance?

Quote:
Check your facts.
I know the facts. I know what the stock market looked like two years ago and Bush has had a democrat Congress AND Senate for the last two years.

The stock market was soaring up until just recently -- and we all realize that Bush on his own turned that around. 7 years of wealth just wiped out -- but Obama should certainly be able to start at the point we were 8 years ago and rebuild it.

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Why not? He said he would. I thought he did. I thought he was the answer.

In fact, it isn't even all about politics. It's about people, a lot of greedy people ... both those at the top and those at the bottom and some in between. Some of it is people just like you and me who bought houses they couldn't afford. It's people burying themselves in debt and purchasing beyond their means with no ability to pay. There's plenty of blame to go everywhere.

And it's still going on. Lines of people around the block to buy phones costing $200 a pop. These aren't bread lines, folks. This is still materialism run amuck even as we're told we're seeing the "worst times since the Great Depression". I don't think so. Even I've see worse than this.

Yes. Suddenly Obama's people fear that people's expectations are too high. Everyone is expecting too much. And who was it that built up those expectations?

This is so right on. Bush was blamed for 9/11. He'd been in office all of 8 months and it was all his fault. So you can't have it both ways.
So if Obama is successful and things go right all the credit goes to him. But if not? It's Bush's fault, right?

Right now it's all about confidence ... and right now there is none. Personally I think we'll be starting to pull out of this recession by the end of 2009. The market should be up sometime mid year.

Unless, of course, the Democrats muck it up. Then we could wallow in this for years.
Pardon me but, that is one of the stupidest comparisons that I have ever heard. Would you please elaborate on how Bush was not responsible after receiving warnings that "Osama Bin Laden was determined to strike within the U.S." and failed to do anything about it? Bush/Cheney and cronies have left devestation behind and they are not even finished yet. I just started a thread about The Washington Post printing an article on how Bush is deregulating on steroids before he finally leaves. Bush is leaving a legacy akin to a dirty, slimy, filthy, swamp. Clean it up? Can you clean the Black Plague? I think that most Obama supporters are sympathizing with the crud that he is inheriting and are realistic about how much he will be able to do. He will do the best that he can because I believe that he loves America.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 11-21-2008 at 08:41 PM..

Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I'm amazed at you being a Bush apologist and not getting paid for it. Are you doing all this work pro bono?

Because convincing people that George W. Bush is not the central figure of blame for the past 8 years of spectacular failure is gonna be a hard sell.

Good luck

Actually I'm not a Bush apologist. I very much dislike the way he ran things, the way he failed every time to find his veto pens.

I just happen to know how and where the spending bills originate -- hint -- not the White House, not the Executive branch.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I know the facts. I know what the stock market looked like two years ago and Bush has had a democrat Congress AND Senate for the last two years.
I know the right wing smear merchants on talk/hate radio are spewing forth blame on DEMOCRATS and even OBAMA already, but only the real bottom of barrel goobers would be dumb enough to believe something like that.

Bush ramped up his disaster WITH A REPUBLICAN HOUSE AND SENATE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections