Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:49 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,851,667 times

Advertisements

My only real regret in voting for Bush (given the alternatives of Gore and Kerry) is he did not turn out to be a fiscal conservative as promised and never went after illegal immigration. Aside from that, I have few complaints that rest only at his door-step. If you want to get into gov't as a whole, well, that is a whole seperate argument lol.
He wouldn't have been my first pick at all but we seem to have a shortage of Washingtons, Jeffersons, and Lincolns the last 100 plus years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 08:54 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,022,861 times
I can honestly say I do not regret voting for Bush and I won't be made to feel I should b'c someone else says so--speaking of those who try to taunt now and make people feel low for their choices. I did what I thought was best at the time as did Bush. Let's get serious, do you honestly think he tried to do what he thought would be bad for the country? Leave the guy alone and let him move on now.

Btw, that last statement was for the Bush bashing mentality in general, no one in particular.

Last edited by Whyte Byrd; 11-22-2008 at 09:03 PM..

Old 11-22-2008, 08:59 PM

51 posts, read 91,634 times
Whoever you are YOU SUCK!!! I voted for Bush and would again, And again. I do not wish to burn in Hell because I want money over my Soul. And all of the democrats who claim that they are christian or going to Heaven we shall see because God does Not support killing babies FOR ANY REASON, but if you want to blame Bush go ahead but he will not be burning in Hell you will.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:59 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times
Given that I went for Bush as the lesser of 3 evils, I don't regret it. Too bad about all the spending, though. I don't like govt spending.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:00 PM

51 posts, read 91,634 times
Read the Bible.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,178,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I haven't felt my privacy threatened in any way. I have nothing to hide, so it wouldn't bother me if "they" did have to monitor for the security of our nation....which by the way, has been pretty darned secure ever since 911. Maybe I have been sleeping through all these terrorist attacks on our homeland?
"What no one seemed to notice. . . was the ever widening gap. . .between the government and the people. . . And it became always wider. . . the whole process of its coming into being, was above all diverting, it provided an excuse not to think for people who did not want to think anyway . . . (it) gave us some dreadful, fundamental things to think about . . .and kept us so busy with continuous changes and 'crises' and so fascinated . . . by the machinations of the 'national enemies,' without and within, that we had no time to think about these dreadful things that were growing, little by little, all around us. . .
Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, 'regretted,' that unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures'. . . must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. . . .Each act. . . is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next. You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join you in resisting somehow.
You don't want to act, or even talk, alone. . . you don't want to 'go out of your way to make trouble.' . . .But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That's the difficulty. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves, when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. . . .You have accepted things you would not have accepted five years ago, a year ago, things your father. . . could never have imagined." :
From Milton Mayer, They Thought They Were Free, The Germans, 1938-45 (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1955)

Old 11-22-2008, 09:07 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,560,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
As you, I'm still waiting to hear from those who feel they have lost their liberties, just exactly what liberties they have lost. Mistakes? Hardly. Good post, sir!
You have lost a lot of right that just haven't effected you, yet. It doesn't matter that you have not been effected, they are gone. The loss of freedoms is a slippery slope, and before anyone realizes it, they are all gone, and they will not be restored without an armed revolution.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:36 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,041,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
First point: The old "if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear" argument. The fact that YOU don't feel threatened is pretty irrelevant. You still going to feel that way with Liberal President and the people HE puts in power? The fact is, the government shouldn't be allowed to do those things without a warrant. Privacy laws are in place to PREVENT abuse of the law - not just today, but in the future, by whatever administration is in place at the time. The power to intrude on privacy can be used for lots of things besides protecting our homeland - and the possibility of abuse for OTHER purposes - such as spying on the political opposition - is pretty high.

Second point: The old "we haven't been attacked so law is obviously working argument" is pretty silly. First off how do you know there would have been successful attacks WITHOUT the Patriot Act? Secondly, you conveniently ignore the fact that there was LOTS of time BEFORE the Patriot Act when there were no attacks (a LONG time passed between the two WTC attacks) - and you have NO idea how many potential attacks were prevented by existing security laws in that time.

Ken
While I understand the point you're making, how is that any different from the economic restrictions generally imposed by Left? Isn't the fundamental principle behind redistribution of wealth an invasion of privacy? By taking away the freedom of choice, you might as well be tapping phones, reading emails, etc. Think about it, sure they aren't on the same "level" per se, but do you really want the US to be like European nations that don't even allow people of different income brackets to be neighbors?

Sure, I agree the Patriot Act takes away some privacy and freedom, but the fundamental qualities of Liberalism do very much the same. Thank goodness we only have to put up with one at the time.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:19 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You have lost a lot of right that just haven't effected you, yet. It doesn't matter that you have not been effected, they are gone. The loss of freedoms is a slippery slope, and before anyone realizes it, they are all gone, and they will not be restored without an armed revolution.
I think you missed the point.

Everyone seems to be asking what liberties were lost?

Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,151,367 times
Well, back to the topic of the thread.

I did not vote for Bush either time and the only regrets I have are that so many did vote for Bush. (Or did they? Many think both elections were stolen.)

My regret is that I voted for Nixon twice.

As far as the Bush elections go, I agree that Gore and Kerry were not very viable alternatives. I was almost glad Bush won. As I told my friends, with Bush I can say, "I told you so." With Kerry and Gore I might have had to say, "I am sorry." Our choices weren't great either time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections