Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,259,142 times

Advertisements

Hillary's appointment as SOS will be announced 10:40 EST tomorrow along with members of Obama's security team. Bill Clinton has gone above and beyond what was required of him regarding conflict of interests. He also turned over a list donors to his library which he has refused to do in the past. The article contains the complete list of concessions.
Clip:
Obama’s transition team gave the green light to Clinton’s nomination after lawyers worked out a remarkable agreement addressing potential conflicts of interest for former President Bill Clinton, who has extensive financial ties abroad.
Most remarkably, the former president agreed to release the long-secret list of 208,000 donors to his presidential library and foundation. As one of nine concessions, he has promised to put out the list by the end of the year.
“It speaks to President Clinton's willingness to do more than what's asked of him," said a Democratic official familiar with the protracted negotiations between Clinton emissaries and Obama transition aides.
Print Story: Clinton, Obama seal the deal - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081130/pl_politico/16057/print;_ylt=Ar.sI373HWiWuJPQW41a3RPCw5R4 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:29 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,435,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Hillary's appointment as SOS will be announced 10:40 EST tomorrow along with members of Obama's security team. Bill Clinton has gone above and beyond what was required of him regarding conflict of interests. He also turned over a list donors to his library which he has refused to do in the past. The article contains the complete list of concessions.
Clip:
Obama’s transition team gave the green light to Clinton’s nomination after lawyers worked out a remarkable agreement addressing potential conflicts of interest for former President Bill Clinton, who has extensive financial ties abroad.
Most remarkably, the former president agreed to release the long-secret list of 208,000 donors to his presidential library and foundation. As one of nine concessions, he has promised to put out the list by the end of the year.
“It speaks to President Clinton's willingness to do more than what's asked of him," said a Democratic official familiar with the protracted negotiations between Clinton emissaries and Obama transition aides.
Print Story: Clinton, Obama seal the deal - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081130/pl_politico/16057/print;_ylt=Ar.sI373HWiWuJPQW41a3RPCw5R4 - broken link)

I think appointing Hillary SoS is a mistake by Obama... Her so called foreign policy experience is suspect and Bill's concessions aside, this has all the earmarks of a Clinton soap opera inside an Obama WH.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:00 AM

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. From what I've read Obama wanted her as SOS for several months. Apparently, Obama believes Hillary has the global stature required, is a team player and will function well in his cabinet. I studied their individual platforms and there wasn't much difference between the candidates. It boiled down to personality. Hillary wasn't baking cookies during her stay in WH, and did manage to visit 80 countries. I'm happy with the appointment. Interesting article over at Salon. I don't necessarily agree with Sirota's "dear leader" comments, but food for thought.
Clip:
Though many Obama supporters feel strongly about particular issues, and though polling shows the country moving left, the Obama movement undeniably revolves around the president-elect's individual stardom -- and specifically, the faith that he will make good decisions, whatever those decisions are. With that kind of following, Obama likely feels little obligation to hire staff intimately involved in non-Obama movements -- especially those who might challenge a Washington ruling class he may not want to antagonize.
Salon.com | In Barack we trust?

Old 11-30-2008, 11:02 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,997 times
Hurray for Mrs. Power Hungry.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Hurray for Mrs. Power Hungry.
Any one who runs for president on either side of the aisle wants power.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:17 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,997 times
Quote:
Any one who runs for president on either side of the aisle wants power.
That shouldn't be their concern; if it is, they're in the wrong business. Their concern should be making America better which is going to be a very difficult thing to do for anyone, the Great One.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
I'm not thrilled with the Clinton appointment but what will be will be.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:47 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,435,238 times
Quote:
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. From what I've read Obama wanted her as SOS for several months. Apparently, Obama believes Hillary has the global stature required, is a team player and will function well in his cabinet. I studied their individual platforms and there wasn't much difference between the candidates. It boiled down to personality. Hillary wasn't baking cookies during her stay in WH, and did manage to visit 80 countries. I'm happy with the appointment.

She may not have been baking cookies but she sure as heck wasn't dodging sniper fire either. I just think Obama could have made a much less controversial and equally qualified pick.

I'm willing to give it a chance but don't be surprised if sometime during the first year or two the Obama WH is beset by a Clinton scandal.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
She may not have been baking cookies but she sure as heck wasn't dodging sniper fire either. I just think Obama could have made a much less controversial and equally qualified pick.

I'm willing to give it a chance but don't be surprised if sometime during the first year or two the Obama WH is beset by a Clinton scandal.

I agree. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by most of Obama's appointments so far. But not this one. Ugh.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 PM

553 posts, read 837,406 times
I couldn't understand why he would put her in this position.. Why not just have her as the VP?

In this position she will be able to stay involved yet remain distant enough to distance herself from Obama when the time is right. She'll also be able to have her people as staffers, rather than having to work with a cabinet chosen by Obama... He would have had more control over her as VP.... I wonder what Biden is thinking through all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections