Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Was The WORST Democrat To LOSE The Election?
Hubert Humphrey 3 5.66%
George McGovern 2 3.77%
Jimmy Carter (vs Reagan) 7 13.21%
Walter Mondale 8 15.09%
Michael Dukakis 15 28.30%
Al Gore 6 11.32%
John Kerry 8 15.09%
Other 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Me and my daughter were discussing past Presidential candidates of the Democrat Party and I told her there was only one that made me vote Republican because I could not stand the man! That was Michael Dukakis. Although Walter Mondale comes in a close 2nd! Who do you think is the WORST Democrat to run for President and lost as the party nominee in recent years???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 AM

102 posts, read 157,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Me and my daughter were discussing past Presidential candidates of the Democrat Party and I told her there was only one that made me vote Republican because I could not stand the man! That was Michael Dukakis. Although Walter Mondale comes in a close 2nd! Who do you think is the WORST Democrat to run for President and lost as the party nominee in recent years???
Win or lose...worst candidate ever...barack obama.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
McGovern, who is a good man, had the worst-managed campaign although Dukakis came close. Both had well-managed, committed opposition willing to lie and race-bait. Both were flat footed in responding to attacks.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
That's interesting. In my younger days, I used to frequently vote for 3rd party candidates, in part b/c Colorado always went for the Repubs and it didn't seem to matter. The first time I voted for a mainstream candidate, I voted for Dukakis.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's interesting. In my younger days, I used to frequently vote for 3rd party candidates, in part b/c Colorado always went for the Repubs and it didn't seem to matter. The first time I voted for a mainstream candidate, I voted for Dukakis.
The main thing that really galled me about Dukakis was that tank stunt he pulled. I was in the service (USAF) and my father came home from Korea with a hole in him and 2 Purple Hearts. I take that kind of thing seriously and when somebody puts on the uniform of this nation and goes out- having never served a day in the Armed Services of the United States- and makes a clown of himself in that uniform, it is more than I am willing to put up with. There is, to me, a certain honour that is attached to that uniform and to the people who wear it- especially in war and what Dukakis did is no different to me than an imposter who buys an Army uniform and joins a Vietnam veterans parade. I find it disgusting. I am a good loyal Democrat. I have held my nose and voted for many Democrats out of the loyalty to my party and its ideals. But there certain lines that I will not cross.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:26 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:

Probably Dukakis, clowning around in that tank did look stupid. I will say, however, that no one, absolutely nothing for any reason, could cause me to sell my soul and vote for a Republican.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Presidential candidate? Dukakis.

But if you really want to know about the worst democrat candidate ever... my vote goes for Willie Outhouse, candidate for mayor of Miami Springs, FL back in the 1960s.

Willie was a strange man. I think he ran for mayor because he got a kick out of telling people his name and seeing the look on their faces. So naturally he thought it was even more fun to run for mayor.

As you may imagine, Willie had some catchy outhouse-related campaign slogans. Unfortunately, he had no actual interest in doing the job. In fact, by election day he became afraid he might win--and he actually began campaigning against himself.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyGrace View Post
Win or lose...worst candidate ever...barack obama.
Wow, you really are bitter, and way too partisan for words.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
The main thing that really galled me about Dukakis was that tank stunt he pulled. I was in the service (USAF) and my father came home from Korea with a hole in him and 2 Purple Hearts. I take that kind of thing seriously and when somebody puts on the uniform of this nation and goes out- having never served a day in the Armed Services of the United States- and makes a clown of himself in that uniform, it is more than I am willing to put up with. There is, to me, a certain honour that is attached to that uniform and to the people who wear it- especially in war and what Dukakis did is no different to me than an imposter who buys an Army uniform and joins a Vietnam veterans parade. I find it disgusting. I am a good loyal Democrat. I have held my nose and voted for many Democrats out of the loyalty to my party and its ideals. But there certain lines that I will not cross.
Remember when Bush did it on the Navy boat with the banner that said "Mission Accomplished"? Lol.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:22 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
I was a little to young to follow politics during the Dukakis run but from what i've read & studied he was pretty bad....I didn't particularly like how Kerry ran his campaign and how he allowed the right to shred to pieces his honorable war record...Bush should have been out in 2004 all things considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections