Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:43 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Why would you appease religious terrorists? They shouldn't be allowed to murder innocent people. Even if Robinson wasn't elected, I'm sure fundamentalist Muslims would still be killing the non-Muslims.
Please, use some sense. The point here is the stupidity of elevating an activist clergyman just to "appease" the GLBT lobby and some liberal groups while knowing that it may incite violence. Would Obama choose a well-known Zionist activist to offer a prayer at the inauguration, knowing how that would be perceived in the Arab world? Nope.

I'm figuring he doesn't know much about Robinson's activities and his history. He's about to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
While disagreeing with your opinion about prayer, I will always remember Robert Frost's moving appearance at JFK's inaugural. He read this....

The Gift Outright

The land was ours before we were the land's.
She was our land more than a hundred years
Before we were her people. She was ours
In Massachusetts, in Virginia.
But we were England's, still colonials,
Possessing what we still were unpossessed by,
Possessed by what we now no more possessed.
Something we were withholding made us weak.
Until we found out that it was ourselves
We were withholding from our land of living,
And forthwith found salvation in surrender.
Such as we were we gave ourselves outright
(The deed of gift was many deeds of war)
To the land vaguely realizing westward,
But still unstoried, artless, unenhanced,
Such as she was, such as she would become.

Robert Frost; 1874-1963
Absolutely gorgeous and so very appropriate. I LOVED Maya Angelou's poem at Clinton's inauguration, too.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You need to read what I wrote about Robinson's agenda causing strife between Anglican Christians and Muslims in Africa. There ARE political ramifications to this.

You also need to realize that the Muslims consider us "infidels" because of what they see as our licentiousness. When the American version of Anglicanism named a homosexual activist as one of its leaders, the Muslims in Africa viciously attacked (and continue to attack) Anglicans. When this activist, Robinson, decided to use his position to champion GLBT causes worldwide instead of simply serving the diocese that elected him, it created a dangerous situation for Anglicans in countries where they are a minority or there is a 50-50 split and they are attempting to coexist peacefully with their Muslim neighbors.

Moreover, Obama has made much of his Kenyan ancestry. The Muslims there will undoubtedly use his selection of Robinson to further persecute Anglican Christians, as they've looked for triggers in the past.

Perhaps you don't care about such things? Well, some of us do.
Thank you for this excellent and well-reasoned post. I only hope that people will read it, learn from it, and consider it in the spirit in which it was wrtten.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:52 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,778 times
Quote:
Please, use some sense. The point here is the stupidity of elevating an activist clergyman just to "appease" the GLBT lobby and some liberal groups while knowing that it may incite violence. Would Obama choose a well-known Zionist activist to offer a prayer at the inauguration, knowing how that would be perceived in the Arab world? Nope.

I'm figuring he doesn't know much about Robinson's activities and his history. He's about to find out.
I wasn't asking in a rude way, I'm just curious. Fundamentalist Muslims like that would kill people anyway, now they just have an excuse. Either way, they'll be pissed and act barbaric and chop people up with machetes. I don't see how electing that guy makes them any more psychotic than they already were. And, sorry, but some religions believe in outreach and diversity, maybe that's why they elected a "gay activist."

Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,700 times
At least Rev. Robinson is honest about himself, is sincere about bringing constructive change, and he is not a hypocrite which is a lot more than might be said for the Rick Warrens of the world.

Today's Bible literalists, and fundamentalists like Rev. Rick Warren are a lot less religious than they are political as we have seen over the past eight years.

As is traditional with people like them they cherry pick their Biblical admonitions to suit their political purposes, they change their definitions of evil, and who practices it according to their political needs, and what will get them the most donations. The biggest "fundamental" about them is their need to label somebody, anybody, as evildoers.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
Obama can't win.. there will always be an objection to any of his choices.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I wasn't asking in a rude way, I'm just curious. Fundamentalist Muslims like that would kill people anyway, now they just have an excuse. Either way, they'll be pissed and act barbaric and chop people up with machetes. I don't see how electing that guy makes them any more psychotic than they already were. And, sorry, but some religions believe in outreach and diversity, maybe that's why they elected a "gay activist."
No, that's really not the case. The Muslims and Christians generally have to find a way to coexist in Africa. Now, I can't generalize because the situation varies from one country to another, but I do know how hard our Anglican bishops and clergy work in Africa to keep relations peaceful. They really don't need something like this to provoke violence.

Moreover, if this goes ahead, Obama's own family in Kenya could be put at risk. Kenyans are keeping a close eye on Obama's election and it's not like they won't know.

You can't seem to understand the difference between reaching out to others and engaging in activism that's divisive, exclusionary and intended to elevate oneself. EVERYONE is welcome in our churches but not all ACTIVITY is condoned and supported. I'm afraid you seem to support the typical American uglyism that says having standards and not necessarily cheering everything people decide they want to do is "hating." It's utterly ridiculous.

One of THE most compassionate and concerned voices the Anglican Church has given the world is that of Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Tutu did not elevate and promote himself first and foremost, as Robinson does. He does not grandstand, deny the teachings of our faith, or celebrate himself above God, claiming that God agrees with him, as Robinson does. Do realize that not every person who speaks out or tries to lead is really worth listening to or following. Some are egomaniacs.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
Quote:
You need to read what I wrote about Robinson's agenda causing strife between Anglican Christians and Muslims in Africa. There ARE political ramifications to this.
I read what you wrote. IMO, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. If this even qualifies as a mole hill.

But hey, you're having fun, so why stop with this? Has anyone checked out the sexual orientation of the engineer driving the train that Obama and Biden are riding on for the inauguration?

Oh. My. God. What if he's a homosexual?
Oh. My. God. What if he isn't a homosexual?
Oh. My. God. I'll bet he's said something at some point that offended somebody.

Oh. My. God!

Quick, run for the doomsday shelter! This is a BIG political misstake, yessirree the BIGGEST one yet!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:27 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,700 times
Quote:
One of THE most compassionate and concerned voices the Anglican Church has given the world is that of Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Tutu did not elevate and promote himself first and foremost, as Robinson does. He does not grandstand, deny the teachings of our faith, or celebrate himself above God, claiming that God agrees with him, as Robinson does. Do realize that not every person who speaks out or tries to lead is really worth listening to or following. Some are egomaniacs.
I hope you realize that Desmond Tutu is fully supportive of gay rights...and gay clergy.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,778 times
Quote:
No, that's really not the case. The Muslims and Christians generally have to find a way to coexist in Africa. Now, I can't generalize because the situation varies from one country to another, but I do know how hard our Anglican bishops and clergy work in Africa to keep relations peaceful. They really don't need something like this to provoke violence.

Moreover, if this goes ahead, Obama's own family in Kenya could be put at risk. Kenyans are keeping a close eye on Obama's election and it's not like they won't know.

You can't seem to understand the difference between reaching out to others and engaging in activism that's divisive, exclusionary and intended to elevate oneself. EVERYONE is welcome in our churches but not all ACTIVITY is condoned and supported. I'm afraid you seem to support the typical American uglyism that says having standards and not necessarily cheering everything people decide they want to do is "hating." It's utterly ridiculous.

I still tend to disagree. I think they were looking for an excuse and they found it in Robinson, now he's your scapegoat when really a violent interpretation of religion is to blame. We can't always blame other people for our actions. You keep talking about divisivism, but why does that not apply to Warren? Because you agree with him? Some people view him as divisive because of his views on gay marriage. Why should straight, conservative Christians be the only religious people represented at the inauguration? It would be better if they just picked some nobodies to do the prayers to avoid this controversy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections