Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:10 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,550,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Apparently this is not the issue that the OP thinks it is. He worked for the IMF for awhile, and they didn't do taxes the way that is normal for Americans. When the problem was discovered, he paid the taxes with penalties.

The housekeeper was legal when hired, but her papers expired while she was employed - and she wasn't employed that long.

I've read this much, and I don't know the full truth of either issue. But I know that if arctichomesteader and ELO are jumping up and down about it, you'd do well to ignore it.
One thing if it's your average person...he should have known better, and he's going to be put in charge of all of it as treasury secretary? Yikes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,227,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
One thing if it's your average person...he should have known better, and he's going to be put in charge of all of it as treasury secretary? Yikes...
Yeah, well, you should know better than to post trivia all the time. Doesn't mean you won't keep doing it.

This is a complete non-issue, and more evidence that the wingnut fringe of the GOP is more interested in smear than truth.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,974,000 times
Goodness, I wish that we would quit putting people that are unscrupulous in positions of power.

If I had 34K in back taxes I'd probably be in prison.

I want nothing but good for this administration but time and time again it appears that we are getting much more of the same individuals.

I had to get a Secret clearance at my last job. If I was in debt to the IRS I would have been disqualified and probably reported to the IRS for prosecution.

How is it that these politicians (Republicans AND Democrats) get away with so much? We are going deeper and deeper into the same type of corrupt political system that was the downfall of Rome.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,227,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Goodness, I wish that we would quit putting people that are unscrupulous in positions of power.

I want nothing but good for this administration but time and time again it appears that we are getting much more of the same individuals.

I had to get a Secret clearance at my last job. If I was in debt to the IRS I would have been disqualified and probably reported to the IRS for prosecution.

How is it that these politicians (Republicans AND Democrats) get away with so much? We are going deeper and deeper into the same type of corrupt political system that was the downfall of Rome.
And your evidence that the IRS treated him any differently than they would have treated any other person in the same situation is .... what?

And "same situation" means more than just $34k in back taxes. It means someone who worked for a foreign entity, who dutifully filed and paid taxes the entire time, who had accountants review those filings, and who paid the tax bill with penalties when the problem was discovered.

I could make a similar complaint: "How did Bush get off? If I tortured people and illegally wiretapped them, I'd be in jail!" But that would be a stupid argument, leaving out a lot of detail.

So again - how was Geithner treated any differently?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:06 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,546,637 times
Quote:
Yeah, well, you should know better than to post trivia all the time. Doesn't mean you won't keep doing it.

This is a complete non-issue, and more evidence that the wingnut fringe of the GOP is more interested in smear than truth.
Becoming Treasury Secretary but not being able to handle one's own finances is a non-issue?

It might not be a huge issue in your opinion but why blow it off as a non-issue?

Quote:
Tom Ochsenschlager, vice president of tax for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, said it would be difficult for someone preparing a tax return for a self-employed person to skip the Social Security and Medicare tax lines.

"It's such a basic mistake that I kind of wonder if we know all the facts," Ochsenschlager said of Geithner's situation.
Should have used Turbotax I guess.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM

492 posts, read 963,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Since the vast majority have held or currently do hold national security clearances, your comments seems sort of... well stupid, for lack of a better word.
Or, maybe it's time to examine the national security clearance process. Little bit of effort, we can get Sandy Berger back in to White House counsel.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:43 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,942,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Source: Treasury nominee failed to pay taxes - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090113/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/treasury_nominee - broken link)
For all of you that will give excuse after excuse and say this is no big deal, you are wrong. Having been self employed myself and my wife having her own business (self employed) for over 14 years this was not an oversight. Another thing is his claim that he did not know that he owed the taxes. Another lie but if we decide to give him the benefit of doubt the story gets worse. I am common folk and know the IRS rules. I am definitely not qualified to be the Treasury Secretary. What does that say for someone who claims that they did not know?

When will you people ever realize that these people are living in a different world than us? A world where the rules we follow don't apply to them. He should be rejected. Somebody with either the brains or honesty to be aware and pay their self-employment taxes on time and not days before you announcement of nomination is made should be put in his place.

Wake up people before it is too late!

Transition officials discovered last fall that Geithner also had not paid the taxes in 2001 or 2002. He paid $25,970 in back taxes and interest for those years several days before Obama announced his choice, the committee documents showed.

Tom Ochsenschlager, vice president of tax for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, said it would be difficult for someone preparing a tax return for a self-employed person to skip the Social Security and Medicare tax lines.
"It's such a basic mistake that I kind of wonder if we know all the facts," Ochsenschlager said of Geithner's situation.

Treasury pick failed to pay self-employment taxes - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090113/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/treasury_nominee - broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Apparently this is not the issue that the OP thinks it is. He worked for the IMF for awhile, and they didn't do taxes the way that is normal for Americans. When the problem was discovered, he paid the taxes with penalties.

The housekeeper was legal when hired, but her papers expired while she was employed - and she wasn't employed that long.

I've read this much, and I don't know the full truth of either issue. But I know that if arctichomesteader and ELO are jumping up and down about it, you'd do well to ignore it.
Read the entire article then come back and comment. This was not a simple mistake. My wife and I have been self-employed and never forgot to pay these taxes. It is tax preparation 101. He only paid them because he was forced to. It is hypocrisy at it's lowest form. This is so stupid that anyone would make excuses for this guy.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:

It is a shame that some people check their brain at the door when supporting Obama blindly. Only extreme partisans can't see how wrong this is, Democrat or Republican. And we trust him to run the treasury when he can't even make sure his taxes are paid?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

Anyone that has had to deal with the IRS realizes the truth behind this and would pull the nomination immediately. This is a no brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections