Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
After a 2006 Internal Revenue Service audit identified the lapse on his 2003 and 2004 tax returns, Mr. Geithner paid tax and interest of $17,230 and the I.R.S. waived penalties, according to the transition.
But Obama vetters discovered the same lapse for 2001 and 2002 and brought it to Mr. Geithner’s attention last Nov. 21, after which he paid tax and interest of $25,970, transition officials say.

That leaves for Mr. Geithner the question of why he did not correct the earlier years’ non-payment of self-employment taxes after the 2006 IRS audit identified the problem for 2003 and 2004.

I guess it was more than once? Yep it was an honest mistake twice? Maybe he just did not realize after paying the first time? He was just waiting fro the IRS to find the second mistake? Yep it was just a few honest mistakes? Sheep will swallow anything.

Geithner, Choice for Treasury, Questioned on His Tax Returns - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com
Statue of limitations had kicked in so not paying was legal. You can argue that as the President of the New York Fed he should have paid them anyway as you and I would have to be a good citizen and role model. This is covered in a number of the articles out there. His accountants advised him he didn't have to for limitation purposes and he didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 PM

IMF Informed Geithner on Taxes - WSJ.com
Tax professionals noted that even trained preparers sometimes miss the subtleties involved in taxation of employees of international organizations.

The IRS in late 2006 launched a settlement initiative aimed at noncompliant employees of foreign embassies, as well as international organizations such as the IMF. At the time, the IRS said as many as half of affected employees were out of compliance with tax rules in one way or another.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Statue of limitations had kicked in so not paying was legal. You can argue that as the President of the New York Fed he should have paid them anyway as you and I would have to be a good citizen and role model. This is covered in a number of the articles out there. His accountants advised him he didn't have to for limitation purposes and he didn't.
So it was only important to pay them when he was nominated, I see. This is the change I wanted to see out of Obama's new administration, hypocrisy at its finest.

Tired of sheep and even more tired of their excuses now that they need them every day. And we thought the Republicans were elitist with no moral high ground to stand on. The next four years may make the last 8 look like a walk in the park in comparison. I may be wrong but the stench is beginning to grow every day.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Tax professionals noted that even trained preparers sometimes miss the subtleties involved in taxation of employees of international organizations.

The IRS in late 2006 launched a settlement initiative aimed at noncompliant employees of foreign embassies, as well as international organizations such as the IMF. At the time, the IRS said as many as half of affected employees were out of compliance with tax rules in one way or another.
You do realize that the link you provided cast more dispersion on why he did not pay. Like I said hypocrisy and elitism. We wonder why year after year we get the same old garbage out of DC. This looks just like more of the same.

Current and former IMF officials said the fund provided numerous warnings to U.S. employees about payroll taxes. According to IMF documents released by the Senate Finance panel, Mr. Geithner regularly received information about his tax obligations.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times
This guy may not make it or at least Obama will have to cut some sweet deals to let him slide through. Holder is in pretty much the same boat.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
You do realize that the link you provided cast more dispersion on why he did not pay. Like I said hypocrisy and elitism. We wonder why year after year we get the same old garbage out of DC. This looks just like more of the same.

Current and former IMF officials said the fund provided numerous warnings to U.S. employees about payroll taxes. According to IMF documents released by the Senate Finance panel, Mr. Geithner regularly received information about his tax obligations.

You hire accountants to minimize your tax obligation not to make sure you pay every penny you have. What happened is not unusual when regs are convoluted as these were and tax lawyers have a field day interpeting the law to the advantage of their client. When it goes to court it is then that the law gets tested for how well the intent matched the letter of the law. I suspect this is one of the many cases like that. When nominated for the Treasury position it then became goody two shoe time. I suspect most tax payers are trying to minimize their tax obligation and find every deduction they can. Since half of the people in that category failed to pay something I wonder if it was a email that circulated telling them not to pay or if their accountants felt the regs as they interpreted them didn't require them to. You don't get tax/investment advice from your employer you get that from your accountant or financial planner.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
This guy may not make it or at least Obama will have to cut some sweet deals to let him slide through. Holder is in pretty much the same boat.
Despite taxes, little heat for Geithner - Alexander Burns - Politico.com
Rush Limbaugh is fulminating. The New York Times editorial page is indignant. All the ingredients of a political firestorm are in place.

And yet, the Timothy Geithner controversy seems to be fizzling.

It’s not that the usual voices are silent. But faced with a made-to-order personal financial scandal, there’s been only a half-hearted response in the political echo chamber, and the consensus among Washington and media elites seems to be that the economic moment is too serious to be distracted by Geithner’s tax problems

The above is all from the link. Any issues should be directed at Politico.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Obama's AG pick on track for confirmation - White House transition- msnbc.com
At the hearing, many Republicans chose not to aggressively attack Holder, despite pre-hearing bluster that they would challenge his record as a Clinton administration official and flex their muscle as the minority party.

"I'm almost ready to vote for you right now," said Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., after Holder agreed with the senator that the nation is at war with terrorists.

Yup it would appear you are right. Both Holder and Geithner appear well on their way to confirmation. At least MSNBC and Politico think so.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
There are serious issues with this but he was not in debt to the IRS and paid them after the audit. What is most serious is that he just recently voluntarily corrected the problem for 2001-02 which was prior to the years audited.
He corrected it at the request of the Obama transition team. What does that say about the transition team. Do they think Obama supporters are that stupid to not see what is going on. Come on folks, a little honesty, give me a break!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Everyone imagine if he had never been nominated for the Treasury position and it was now revealed that the President of the New York Fed district while in that postion had been audited for failure to pay taxes, for part of the time at the IMF without any followup audit for the time not covered by the original audit. What would those headlines now be? That is also part of this story what happened then and what didn't happen then. What was the internal discussion at the IRS and who was notified and who made what decisions after the initial audit?
I don't particularly care when, what, why. He was wrong and should be held accountable. Grossed up to cover the taxes and he still did not pay. No excuses, I play by the rule so should our government officials at all levels, Democrat, Republican, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections