Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,074,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Not at all. I'm not the one interested in other men's bodies, after all. And I'm not saying that the fact that they are makes them bad people or guilty of some terrible crime. It is just that such situations are not conducive to military unit discipline or morale. Surely even you can see that.

Sorry, pal. Putting the onus on straight people for being uncomfortable because they're not gay is a bit much. The mission of the military is defend the nation, not to loosen up people's attitudes about sexual preferences.
Kind of like being uncomfortable showering with a black person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,356,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Oh really? Then what is it that you are so against?
Any conduct which threatens unit cohesion and the morale of our forces.

I would hope that you agree.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,699,815 times
Quote:
The U.S. does not "ban gays from the military." It does forbid military personnel from officially inquiring as to a service member's sexual orientation, or replying to such inquiries. This keeps the focus on actually fighting wars, which the Luxemborgs and Belgiums of the world rarely need concern themselves with.
It's irrational to allow heterosexual military members to talk about their girlfriends and wives while the non-heterosexuals just have to sit there and keep quiet lest they risk being fired from their jobs.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,356,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Kind of like being uncomfortable showering with a black person.
Right. Except for the racist component.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Any conduct which threatens unit cohesion and the morale of our forces.

I would hope that you agree.
I do agree that conduct is what it's all about. Simply being openly gay is not a conduct that threatens unit cohesion and morale. I don't even see it as a "conduct".

Again, there already are gays in the military. Do you think that repealing DADT will suddenly mean gays will think they have a right to play "grab ass" in the shower?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,583,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anunidentifiedmale View Post
i do agree that conduct is what it's all about. Simply being openly gay is not a conduct that threatens unit cohesion and morale. I don't even see it as a "conduct".

Again, there already are gays in the military. Do you think that repealing dadt will suddenly mean gays will think they have a right to play "grab ass" in the shower?
excellent point!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:09 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,033,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
excellent point!
Why do people think that just because someone is gay they will go after them in the shower? When will this archaic thinking end?

Last edited by minibrings; 01-21-2009 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 03:21 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,640,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's irrational to allow heterosexual military members to talk about their girlfriends and wives while the non-heterosexuals just have to sit there and keep quiet lest they risk being fired from their jobs.
Wasn't there a case some years back with a member of the military being discharged for being seen by a superior going into a known gay bar or something? I seem to remember that there was, but not how it turned out.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:38 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,713,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's just the usual ignorance and homophobia at work. A lot of people seem to believe that gay men can't control themselves. I guess these same people must believe that they're irresistibly attractive.

As stated before, GAY MEN (and women) ARE ALREADY IN THE MILITARY! The "gay panic" is stupid.
First...does an ugly woman have less of a case in trying to keep men out of her shower than an attractive woman?

Second, exactly, they're already in the military...nothing at all is stopping them from serving. So what's the big deal, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Why do people think that just because someone is gay they will go after them in the shower? When will this archaic thinking end?
Why do women think that if the military let straight men in their showers, that the men would go after them?

Geez, that's just not fair, is it?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
they're already in the military...nothing at all is stopping them from serving. So what's the big deal, exactly?
No one should have to fear losing his job simply from mentioning who he's dating or who he's involved with.

Quote:
Why do women think that if the military let straight men in their showers, that the men would go after them?

Geez, that's just not fair, is it?
If the homophobes are so wimpy, maybe they can advocate having separate showers for the gay guys.

Get over yourself. You're being absolutely ridiculous about this. I don't understand the panic over homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections