Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 PM

273 posts, read 342,831 times

Advertisements

his father was african, so he is african american, his mother was white, so he is biracial. He is not the decendant of slaves, however. Which makes some of the rhetoric around him a little awkward for me. But his election to POTUS is still historic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Sorry. He's African-American anyway you put it. I am sure you haven't bothered to research race classification in this country. However, there was a standard called the "one-drop rule" which said that if a person in this country has one drop of black blood in their body, that they were to be considered black.
was being the operative word here.

why insist on living in the past?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

No, the word IS.

Is it documented anywhere that the 1 drop rule is not in effect anymore?

If a white man wanted to join the KKK and they found out that he qualified for the one drop rule, what would they say?

They sure wouldn't say "Why live in the past, that rule doesn't exist anymore"

Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Quote:

Dunno. Why not ask a conservative.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:42 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:

Because you don't sweep history under the carpet? Racial discrimination was as still IS a huge part of America. As much as you and others want to sweep history under the carpet in a poorly executed attempt to take this moment away from millions, you can't. Sorry.

Your president is a black man.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
i dont know, whats a full blooded american? full blooded puerto rican etc

same thing different story,since AA re an ethnic group out of many black groups in america one could assume though when someone says this is that their fully ethnically/culturally AA!

why does AA only get a bad rap but others who use those phrases do not?
The only full-blooded Americans are the native Americans who have not inter-married. The rest of us have some European, African, Asian, etc. blood in our mixtures. I am a European-American because my ancestors came from Belgium and the Netherlands.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:49 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusername2008 View Post
PPPlease!!!! how have the blacks suffered? I wish I could lay on my ass in a house paid by hud, have 5 kids so I can reap the federal benifits and not do a damn thing with my life...blacks suffer becuase they choose too!
You know, when I visit my local Wal Mart near my house, I see just as many if not more white people using food stamps. Our government subsidized apartments have whites and Hispanics in them--more often than they have blacks in them. Most of these people--of all races--are having to take food stamps and live in government housing because their salaries are so low or they have health issues and have been bankrupted paying for health care. I have worked in public administration for a good number of years in the late 80's and early 90's. The families I dealt with sometimes included lazy people who abused the system. Guess what! They were of all races.

More often, we helped people who had two or more minimum wage jobs between the mother and father and were working their asses off but could not get ahead because minimum wage just doesn't cut it. I could tell you hundreds of stories and give you hundreds of examples of hard working people of all races who could not catch a break. Often they hated being on welfare and/or food stamps, and they worked as hard as they could to get off of it.

Don't paint a whole race of people with the same brush. This is racism in its purest form.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
It is so funny how black are calling him the first black president...I couldn't care less, but I'm laughing about it....

Oprah the women who always wants to get rid of racism and on the other hand is doing nothing than holding "black celebraty days, black woman day, etc...", was showing up with her hubby, Gail, Jzee (or whatever you might write that name), Jesse Jackson jr, etc...all black...so much for her way of getting people together and forget about race issues!

She is #1 on the list of hypocrite people!

I also laugh about the Dem. who wants to rub it in that they have a president and Rep. have to shut up and don't whine about it....while they whined and bashed for 8 years and never took it as decent people...but we have too...very easy, because most Rep. arent behaving as Dem. and spent their days better than whining...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It is so funny how black are calling him the first black president...I couldn't care less, but I'm laughing about it....

Oprah the women who always wants to get rid of racism and on the other hand is doing nothing than holding "black celebraty days, black woman day, etc...", was showing up with her hubby, Gail, Jzee (or whatever you might write that name), Jesse Jackson jr, etc...all black...so much for her way of getting people together and forget about race issues!

She is #1 on the list of hypocrite people!

I also laugh about the Dem. who wants to rub it in that they have a president and Rep. have to shut up and don't whine about it....while they whined and bashed for 8 years and never took it as decent people...but we have too...very easy, because most Rep. arent behaving as Dem. and spent their days better than whining...

This idiocy doesn't even deserve a response..............

Old 01-21-2009, 07:06 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
This idiocy doesn't even deserve a response..............
You're so right. But I did it in another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections