Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times

Advertisements

I predict that no one will want to run against Obama. The GOP will find some currently unknown governor without enough sense to wait another 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
There's a lot of talk about Bobby Jindal. Personally I think he is an idiot!!!!
I don't know much about Jindal, BUT if he's indeed an an idiot, then he's already won half the battle to get the GOP nomination.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 PM

709 posts, read 1,498,462 times
My money is on Republicans in 2012. By that time people will stop judging Obama by the color of his skin, which is favorable, and start judging him by the content of his character, which isn't. Plus it will become more apparent that the Iraq War, though a mistake, was no Nam 2.0. And the "red states" get ~7 new electoral votes in 2010.

Romney, probably the best "mainstream" candidate from 2008, might run again. Look at the top Republican Governors for the list of most likely candidates: Jindal and Crist are the most likely two, but also Pawlenty and Sanford.

I don't think Gingrich, Perry, or Jeb will run - too much baggage. Huckabee and Palin might, but they'll be even more of a joke.

My man Ron Paul will probably make another "quixotic" run, if his health permits, in which case there'll be at least one candidate in that election telling you the truth. Needless to say, he'll lose big time.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by KevK
I think Huck would be more comfortable in the Democrat Party and we should make an effort to recruit him. You know he is a secret liberal because he cares about regular working people.
In fact I think Huck will soon announce a party switch and he will run for Senator from Arkansas. Then in 4 years Biden will announce his retirement and it will be Obama and Huckabee in 2012!
Switch to the Democrats? Nah that'll never happen. But I actually like Huckabee a lot. Don't know if I'd vote for him, but he's a decent man, and his conservatism has a much more compassionate side that I'm comfortable with. Rush Limbaugh says he's not a conservative...so what?

Aside from him, I say it'd be a choice between Romney or Palin.

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesAbilene
I hope you are correct and that the USA does not exist in its current form by 2012. I hope our economy is better. I hope that we are no longer involved in two wars. I hope that we quit violating the Constitution--you know--little things--like illegal wiretapping. I hope we are well on our way to controlling the deficit and maybe, just maybe, seeing an eventual surplus; that won't happen by 2012, but we might be on our way. I hope we have gained the respect of our allies which has been lost in the last 8 years. I hope we are no longer pandering to the wealthy and giving welfare to corporations and their overpaid CEO's. I hope we are using tax credits and other means to encourage viable corporations to keep their facilities, jobs, and manufacturing plants in America. I hope that the poor and middle class American doesn't have to choose between food and prescription drugs. I hope we have revisited NCLB and cleaned it up so that our kids can learn higher level thinking skills instead of learning only how to take a multiple choice test. I hope our infrastructure, which has been neglected too long, is improved. I hope our politicians are talking about issues that matter and that they can make a difference with and stay out of people's bedrooms and decisions about health care (i.e. Terry Schiavo). I hope more students with good minds and little money have the opportunity to attend college. I hope the Social Security mess is cleaned up or changed. I hope that we are no longer violating international law (torture, waterboarding). I hope we again care about cleaning up the environment. I hope we have developed alternative energy policies that will reduce our dependence on foreign oil. I hope oil companies, Halliburton, and the vice-president are not making our energy policy. I hope we again look at proven scientific data when making decisions about human health care and the environment. Yes, I hope the United States is a quite different place in 2012--a place that cares about all of its citizens ,their welfare, and our Constitution.

End of rant. I know you have talking points to counter all of this. I have heard them all. And, I respectfullly disagree with them.
I couldn't rep you for this one, but it was very very well put.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It will probably be Palin- Romney or Romney- palin.
What a disturbing thought.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I predict that no one will want to run against Obama. The GOP will find some currently unknown governor without enough sense to wait another 4 years.
At least part of your statement has happened once. I hope it happens again, and the radical right Republicans will remain out of office. I wonder if the main stream Republicans--those who are currently supporting Obama rather than the radical right--will seize control of the party. If they do, the election will be much easier for them to win.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:12 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Default Gop

I think that you'll see the same candidates with one possible exception. I think that Romney will be the favorite to win the nomination but you'll also see Jindal, Pawlenty, and possibly Huckabee. I think that you may see Jeb Bush run in '12 or '16 but some of the bad feelings that 'W' has left behind will have to disapate before he can be considered. I've learned one thing, however, and that's too never count out a Bush. I'm not completely sold on Huckabee running. As far as Palin, I think she's self aware enough to stay out of the race in '12 but you may see her in '16. At that point, it may be Clinton vs Palin. Now, that would be just as interesting as the race this year.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Huckabee is making a fool of himself by trying to be a celebrity and author. Palin can be viable, but she needs to read up on the issues and stay out of the limelight. Unfortunately, her chances are slim as her image is so bad.

Romney will be around, but he was Gov of Massachusetts. He must be somewhat liberal to have done that. Jindal said he won't run; I think he should wait a bit. Pawlenty (MN) might have a chance. Same with Mitch Daniels (IN). The GOP has some great members in the House, like Ryan (WI), Pence (IN), Cantor (VA). Remember, the Dems who did poorly in the primary were the ones that have been around forever (except Clinton, who just ran on hubby's coattails). It may be the same with the GOP in the sense that someone we know little about now will do well.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Is there anyone out there on the radar yet? Wake me up in 2011. Unless we have another GWB, Huckabee or McCain, in which case please just shoot me.
Judging by their last two candidates I would guess Bob Dole and Britanney Spears.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM

442 posts, read 790,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfood View Post
If you mean that the republican candidate in 2012. Will be another old white man like GWB, Hucalbee, and McCain then the answer is yes.
Seems like old white men are too outmoded for liberals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections