Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:29 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,062,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post

Fair enough. Tell me again why my tax dollars should go towards abortion?
Because women should never be forced to go through pregnancy if they do not want to. To do so is nothing less than cruel and unusual punishment. If they cannot afford an abortion, then what makes you think they could afford pregnancy and the resulting child? If they cannot afford the pregnancy, the responsible choice is an abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,714,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Because women should never be forced to go through pregnancy if they do not want to. To do so is nothing less than cruel and unusual punishment. If they cannot afford an abortion, then what makes you think they could afford pregnancy and the resulting child? If they cannot afford the pregnancy, the responsible choice is an abortion.
Killing a baby is more responsible than simply not getting pregnant in the first place?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,950,337 times
Quote:
Depends on the law. Generally, the point of viability is the cutoff point.

And I believe that if a woman cannot even afford an abortion, much less a pregnancy, she should be able to seek federal aid.
If I have a heart attack and require life saving surgery, guess who's on the hook for the bill? I am.

If I need an organ transplant, guess who's paying for it? I am.

Does the federal government pay for "life saving" surgery? No.

So why should taxpayers be paying for an elective surgery?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
If I have a heart attack and require life saving surgery, guess who's on the hook for the bill? I am.

If I need an organ transplant, guess who's paying for it? I am.

Does the federal government pay for "life saving" surgery? No.

So why should taxpayers be paying for an elective surgery?
And I believe that the government should pay for a life saving surgery.

Goes with the whole belief in universal healthcare.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,013,793 times
Quote:
He's always been a pretty hard core proponent of murdering babies.

I guess he figures this way, he can get some babies murdered...which appeases a certain portion of his base. But they're foreign babies, so less likely to raise a fuss among another portion of his opponents. Win-win, I guess.

I actually wish he was murdering more babies. At my meeting of liberals last week we specifcally put in our plank to encourage Obama to murder more babies. No matter the cost. And any organs be donated to our clinics in France run by homosexuals conducting stem cell research for the benefit of Communist Party members in Cuba.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 PM

659 posts, read 1,088,314 times
Quote:
And I believe that the government should pay for a life saving surgery.

Goes with the whole belief in universal healthcare.
But what you believe doesn't change what is. I believe that we should be able to do anything we want (short of killing, raping, or stealing from somebody), but we can't do we want. Beliefs mean nothing in this world unless you have some funding and support to back them up.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
But what you believe doesn't change what is. I believe that we should be able to do anything we want (short of killing, raping, or stealing from somebody), but we can't do we want. Beliefs mean nothing in this world unless you have some funding and support to back them up.
I agree. And I also think that it is wrong that there will be federal funding for abortions before heart attacks.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,536,538 times
Quote:
And medical advancements push the "point of viability" back all the time.
No, they don't, and neither will they anytime soon. We are within a day or two one way or the other of the natural limit of viability and have been for many years. It isn't a matter of technology. It's a matter of nature. Organs that aren't formed can't be supported. All technology has done for early preemies is increase the odds that -- with massive intervention -- one might survive to leave the hospital. Massive disability is typical. Survival rates at one year have barely improved. Most medical boards continue to recommend that no steps be taken to resuscitate preemies earlier than roughly 22 weeks, and there aren't any changes to that in the pipeline.

Quote:
What about when the day comes that we can fertilize an egg and grow the child to birth in, say, an artificial womb? That would essentially mean that the "point of viability" is the moment of conception...would your views change then? Or is the "point of viability" argument, as I suspect, nothing more than a cop out?
It's the moment of conception argument that is a fraud. Meanwhile, the chance that anyone alive today will live to see the development of a safe, effective, and widely available artificial womb is very small indeed. Should that ship magically come in, yes. The situation would require review, just as it did when the one-time miracle of IVF became widely available. In the meantime, however, your argument is moot.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,714,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, they don't, and neither will they anytime soon. We are within a day or two one way or the other of the natural limit of viability and have been for many years. It isn't a matter of technology. It's a matter of nature. Organs that aren't formed can't be supported. All technology has done for early preemies is increase the odds that -- with massive intervention -- one might survive to leave the hospital. Massive disability is typical. Survival rates at one year have barely improved. Most medical boards continue to recommend that no steps be taken to resuscitate preemies earlier than roughly 24 weeks, and there aren't any changes to that in the pipeline.

It's the moment of conception argument that is a fraud. Meanwhile, the chance that anyone alive today will live to see the development of a safe, effective, and widely available artificial womb is very small indeed. Should that ship magically come in, yes. The situation would require review, just as it did when the one-time miracle of IVF became widely available. In the meantime, however, your argument is moot.
Yay! You're here!

Dude...there are some people that are fun to debate. Some people just beg to be refuted. Some people actually present reasonable arguments and it's a challenge, but worth it.

You don't fall into any of those categories, unfortunately. Every so often, in maybe 1 or 2 of yours posts that I've read in my time here, you accidentally make a good point. The problem is that if I respond to it, it's only encouraging you. It's frankly not worth it.

Tell you what, though...just for old time's sake...can you explain to me again how a kid that drowns in a pool is somehow less dead or less tragic than a kid that dies from gunfire?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,536,538 times
Slur + Whine = Typical. This time accompanied by an off-topic attempt at thread-hijacking. Your statement above was and still is false. You are not well informed on the issue.

As to the thread topic, the Global Gag Rule was yet another Bushie gesture contemptuous of science and human welfare. It was (just like the Reagan version before it) a meaningless sop for religious fundies that undermines women's health, children's welfare, and the autonomy of family units around the world. The returns on this mindless policy have been more unintended pregnancies, more abortions, and more maternal deaths from pregnancy and childbirth. Knowledgeable and compassionate people everywhere applaud Obama's pending recision of the existing order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections