Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I'm all for helping women in third world countries understand how to take care of themselves. However, the reality that you say we need to face is that the leaders and men of the third world countries I don't think are necessarily on the same page, and I don't really see anyone trying to change [i]their[i] minds. Do you know that not too long ago men in Africa believed they could cure AIDS by having sex with a baby. Here's a shocking article.

South African men rape babies as 'cure' for Aids - Telegraph

I would really hate to see the status quo being maintained in third world countries while women rush to have abortions because of the inability to change the status quo and because they can. Families in third world countries sell their daughters to be slaves because they can't feed them, and see this as a solution at least to keep the child alive. Abortion is a resolution to the result of a bigger problem being ignored.
, except for the notion that women in these countries just rush out to have an abortion on their way to the movies, "because they can." Just because they're not white and American doesnt mean they dont have feelings and grieve. Their situations are different as you point out.

There are many other NGOs that, in their niches, do what they can to help improve lives and the quality of life.

Quote:
If no one wants abortion as you say, then why the advocation of abortion rights, making it easy, comfortable, acceptable, even for minor children.
I meant - mothers, the women having the abortions.
Quote:
I believe it is about people wanting people to have abortions. I don't see abortion clinics giving alternatives to abortion when their patients walk in the door. I don't think they see abortion as horrible. See this link for example.

Freedom of Choice Act would Guarantee Roe Protections in U.S. Statutes

I understand it's about rights. I understand too that the people who regret having abortions and try to tell women and teenagers about those requests are told to shut the heck up or that they're stupid because it's the "rule of law." People will applaud, even herein, if the Freedom of Choice Act, which removes all abortion bans, is passed, so, to me, people do want people to have abortions, and they want all Americans to like it.
Now you're talking about the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 11:12 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
They do, they do....and a lot more damage was occurring until yesterday, too. Please respond to the earlier post.

The frog in the kettle metaphor - I dont get it. Before we know it... what? Please spell it out for me.

I do get the feeling you wouldnt care about abortions in other countries at all if your tax dollars werent involved. You tack mention of your taxes onto almost every statement, and show no interest in the already-born people and their families involved in this tragic story. JMO; if Im wrong please correct me.
Your counsel is to keep on killing, in this case not frogs but innocent human beings.

I do care about the deliberate killing of unborn human beings much more than I care about taxes. I am just trying to make a point that yesterday Obama in effect made me and all Americans complicit to those summary executions of innocent unborn children.

Yes, abortions are likely to happen anyway, people often make selfish choices, but putting the American people on the line as being in favor of the killing, as Obama did yesterday, is likely going to greatly increase the number of innocents slaughtered at the hand of paid (by American tax money) professional killers.

Oh, and about those "already-born people and their families involved in this tragic story." With the possible exception of a very few, it is their own free choices that created the tragedy. The tragedy is that they deliberately chose because they were enabled and encouraged to so by Americans to kill a son, daughter, brother, sister...

Old 01-24-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
But I and millions of other Americans do not need to "do a little studying." We already know the issue and where we stand on it.

I admit, there are evil things happening all over the world because of human choices and selfishness. But I flat out DO NOT WANT my tax money being used to kill unborn children anywhere!

Obama dictated that must happen all over the world as of yesterday. I cannot see the taking of innocent human life as a form of birth and population control contributing to a positive image for America or Americans. Condoms, education, yes, that's already happening.

Only the funding of abortion and the consequent denial of the right to live to certain innocent people all over the world happened yesterday. That was Obama's choice.
Well, not to be rude, but how do you propose to preserve the inviolability of that particular fraction of whichever of your tax dollars is marked for this program? It could be a quantifiable number - just do some digging.

If there's no way to determine the actual cost to you, maybe you could offset the damage by doing something useful in your community concerning AB. If you counsel, say, X-number of American girls or women into not having abortions, you could reconcile that number with the number you're paying for in foreign countries.

Just be sure they're the kind of American girls or women the birth of whose babies in your considered opinion wont wind up costing you even MORE in tax dollars! Now there's a frog-in-the-kettle metaphor for ya

Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Is what you are suggesting should be done the approved government method in Alaska?
What does Governor Palin's run for vice president have to do with Obama signing the executive order yesterday approving the funding of abortion groups all over the world?

Old 01-24-2009, 11:21 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
What does Governor Palin's run for vice president have to do with Obama signing the executive order yesterday approving the funding of abortion groups all over the world?
Where did I say Palin or her run for Vice President? Are you aware of their 2006 surge in teen pregnancies (highest in nation) and the changes in policy that occured in the years previous to that. Are you? I assumed that people so interested in this topic were aware of recent press coverage of teen pregnancy as a data point and not anyone person. I was responding to a post about what policy should be and was giving an example of what happens in the absence of what that poster was advocating. Sorry I assumed more then I should have about people knowing their topic.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Oh, and about those "already-born people and their families involved in this tragic story." With the possible exception of a very few, it is their own free choices that created the tragedy. The tragedy is that they deliberately chose because they were enabled and encouraged to so by Americans to kill a son, daughter, brother, sister...
Again not to be rude, but you're really demonstrating a selfishness and insensitivity that just makes me shake my head. Im sure you dont mean to be this way, but you're refusing to look at the big picture. That's all right, though - again, good luck to you!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I did read the thread title and the first line of the OP which is.
"President Obama promised that he'd paste a friendly happy face on the USA image abroad. But one of his first acts as president is to arrange for the killing of unborn babies in foreign countries! "

It doesn't say promised to make you happy.

Thus are my posts not on topic? Are you saying I haven't digressed from the topic like others have. The thread title talks about smiley face and the first line deals with our image abroad. Once again then the gquestion begging to be answered is are people abroad less happy with us today then they were prior to the election? Has this decision lessened the appeal of America to those of other nations.
My read of polling data and international news is that they are very

Sorry for being on topic
Wow, that was fast then! So polls have already been taken in foreign countries among the common folk who would be most affected by abortions and they are happy that Obama did what he did yesterday because there is now a much greater chance that they can kill their babies in a sterile environment free of charge? How about a link to those polls of yours?

And international news?? So some foreign journalist somewhere writes a story about everyone in his nation being "happy." Is that really how you want our president to rule, by the opinions of foreign journalists?

Anyway, I know that some people make polls and popularity their preferred method of governing the greatest nation on earth. But most Americans I am convinced still think their leaders should govern by sticking to integrity and moral values, you know those pesky tried and true Judaeo Christian principles that made this nation great and gave us the freedoms we take so much for granted...

Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Sounds like comforting advice for the proverbial frog in a kettle of water that is slowly being brought to a boil. Don't worry, everything's fine, it'll all work out, gotta be realistic you know, sure the water's getting warmer but that's just the way life is, deal with it, don't jump out now, that would be insane...

It is likely that with very few exceptions abortions happen because a mother was told she could kill her child and get away with it rather than put up with the inconvenience of raising her son or daughter, or putting him/her up for adoption.

Killing unborn children should never in my opinion be authoritatively taught as a viable method of birth control or of population control. But that's what I as a USA tax payer am being forced to fund apparently all over the world.

Why not educate people and provide such things as condoms instead of offering to kill the unborn child? As I understand it, that's what was happening until yesterday when Obama pandered to the extreme left wing of his political party and forced all Americans to contribute to the killing of innocents.
Would you suggest Alaska consider such?
KTUU.com | Alaska's news and information source | Alaska teen pregnancy rate higher than nation's
More than 45 percent of births in Alaska are unplanned, much higher than the national average, which is 31 percent. That number includes all pregnancies

Teen Pregnancy Rates Rising With Alaska Leading The Way: CDC Report
According to the newest numbers from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, teen births increased by 3 percent nationally in 2006, reversing a 15-year decline of more than a third. And Palin's home state of Alaska -- one of 26 states to see a rise -- led the way, with a 19 percent increase in the teenage birthrate from the previous year.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Wow, that was fast then! So polls have already been taken in foreign countries among the common folk who would be most affected by abortions and they are happy that Obama did what he did yesterday because there is now a much greater chance that they can kill their babies in a sterile environment free of charge? How about a link to those polls of yours?

And international news?? So some foreign journalist somewhere writes a story about everyone in his nation being "happy." Is that really how you want our president to rule, by the opinions of foreign journalists?
Are you serious with this?

Okay, Im gone now. *exits*

Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
How misleading can ya get.... Not you personally TuborgP

Alaska teen pregnancy rate higher than nation's
More than 45 percent of births in Alaska are unplanned, much higher than the national average, which is 31 percent. That number includes all pregnancies.

According to the newest numbers from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, teen births increased by 3 percent nationally in 2006, reversing a 15-year decline of more than a third. And Palin's home state of Alaska -- one of 26 states to see a rise -- led the way, with a 19 percent increase in the teenage birthrate from the previous year.

I bet the military forces returning back and Alaska having a huge military presence has no influence on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections