Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
All-time, favorite post.
There is no way for me to avoid repping you, you sneaky girl.

lol...it was sincere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:14 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,351,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post

I actually voted for Obama in my states primary, but upon closer examination I realized that he was just way to inexperienced. I must add that I have yet to be impressed with his job performance thus far but it has nothing to do with his race.
OK, so what exactly was I supposed to respond to?

Ken

Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 AM

485 posts, read 1,456,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
OK, so what exactly was I supposed to respond to?

Ken
Well maybe you could say "Maybe I was buying into those stereotypes about the south - a part of the country that I really know nothing about." Oh well I guess I was just dreaming.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,213,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I can't help but laugh a bit when I see all the die-hard Obama haters posting their vitriol on this and the Politics forum - and think of what a contrast those postings are to the general mood of the American public...

Over 60% of Americans approve of the job Obama is doing...

An even larger majority agree that he is trying to fix the problems he inherited and support his Stimulus Package.

Just not too many on this forum, that's all..

It helps put things into perspective when you realize that this forum in no way, shape or form represents the nation's support of Obama and wishes for him to succeed.

what was George W Bush's approval rate when he first took office?
it was higher than Obama's
Jimmy Carter??
I would laugh at this thread if it did not speak to the blindness of what is going on,
let's see how loved your hero is in about 6 months, if that long.
He and his clowns are sinking us fast.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
Well maybe you could say "Maybe I was buying into those stereotypes about the south - a part of the country that I really know nothing about." Oh well I guess I was just dreaming.
Why, because you voted for Obama?
Does that change the fact that the south is overwhelmingly Red?

Dixiegirl7 claimed that simply because the people she knows don't like Obama that somehow that means that the national polls giving Obama high approval rating are somehow wrong. Are you now claiming that simply because you voted for Obama that the results of the election showing the south as overwhelming Red are somehow wrong as well?

Tell me, since the turn of the century, how many Black Congressman and Senators has the GOP elected? How many from the south?

As far as I can determine the answer to that last question is "one".
Tell me again what your point is.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-04-2009 at 07:30 AM..

Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
what was George W Bush's approval rate when he first took office?
it was higher than Obama's
At this point in his Presidency?
No it wasn't. It was close though - showing that the American people were willing to give Bush the benefit of the doubt - unlike the Obamabashers on this board who were blaming Obama for the economic woes of the country BEFORE he even took office.

President Bush's Approval Ratings

Ken

Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Dixiegirl7 claimed that simply because the people she knows don't like Obama that somehow that means that the national polls giving Obama high approval rating are somehow wrong. Are you now claiming that simply because you voted for Obama that the results of the election showing the south as overwhelming Red are somehow wrong as well?

Tell me, since the turn of the century, how many Black Congressman and Senators has the GOP elected? How many from the south?

Ken
I was not referencing the fact that the south is overwhelminly GOP (which I don't feel is necessarily a bad thing), but your statement about the south being racist and that being why they are (YES) overwhelmingly GOP.There are undoubtedly some racists in the south just as there are undoubtedly some racists in other parts of the country. I personally feel that the south has moved further in the direction of racial equality than many other parts of the country, but many people, like you, still cling to the old stereotypes. Case in point there were primaries held yesterday for an open state senate seat. There were 7 candidates in the 2 primaries. Two Dem candidates were Black and one GOP candidate was black. That works out to 3 black and 4 white in a district that is (I believe) 20% black. One of the black candidates is a college student which I think bodes well for the future of blacks in southern politics. Of interest as well was the fact that there was only one female candidate while the district is most likely 50% female. Where is the outrage over that!

I also feel very strongly in the importance of the two party system, something that many posters on this forum seem to hold in disdain. What a boring place we would be if we all walked in lock step!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:38 AM

Marysally -

It sounds like a lot of racial progress is being made - and I'm glad to see that.

Ken

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,036 times
Quote:

Ken

I never claimed any such thing. You misrepresent a lot of things which means you must be insecure in your positions. There are stereotypes about folks from your part of the country also, but I don't resort to such stupidity because I know that everyone is different, even those that get lumped together in classification....like Republican or Democrat.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Marysally -

It sounds like a lot of racial progress is being made - and I'm glad to see that.

Ken
Yes, I believe that it is! Maybe we should start working on some other parts of the country and bring them up to southern standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections