U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:26 PM

10,194 posts, read 25,451,164 times

Advertisements

It appears there is noise that Bloomberg is considering a run for President--three New Yorkers?

What do you think?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032501334.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 PM

500 posts, read 2,740,936 times
What do I think? Bring him on! Bloomberg for President!

New York has never had a better mayor. He'd make a great president.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:01 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
What do I think? Bring him on! Bloomberg for President!

New York has never had a better mayor. He'd make a great president.
Oh really? So what has he done differently than Rudy? What were the major changes? I haven't lived in NYC for a while. I don't keep up with the local politics there as much as I used to.

I credit Rudy with a LOT of NYC's success. If would like to know what Mayor Bloomberg has done that goes beyond what Rudy had already implemented. This is a serious question, not sarcasm.

~TT

Old 03-26-2007, 04:05 PM

I never could get a handle on Bloomberg whilst living in NYC and working for the Gov'nor!

What Bloomberg does have is pots of personal funds--no need to get or give favours, and a level financial head. Not sure how he'd handle such a big international mess. I do know some of his appointees in the City, and he did select intelligent, hard-working and proven folks. Therefore, I am going to guess he'd probably get together a top-ranking cabinet.

Could work! Or not! This idea of his running is too early to call.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:09 PM

-TT

Bloomberg has made some great strides with finance in the City--he is a purse-holder manager to say the least.

He's also looked at and worked at improving some of the infrastructure of the health, human services and education departments--with more than moderate success.

And, he is a man that takes himself seriously, by which I mean, he walks his talk and doesn't cave in. He also seems to have established some good to excellent working relationships with several of the more truculent pols.

He is not much of a show-man but a do-er!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I never could get a handle on Bloomberg whilst living in NYC and working for the Gov'nor!

What Bloomberg does have is pots of personal funds--no need to get or give favours, and a level financial head. Not sure how he'd handle such a big international mess. I do know some of his appointees in the City, and he did select intelligent, hard-working and proven folks. Therefore, I am going to guess he'd probably get together a top-ranking cabinet.

Could work! Or not! This idea of his running is too early to call.

There is a downside to having too much money.

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good" ~ Gordon Gecko, lol

When kept in check, greed keeps some of these politicians behaving themselves. I really don't want someone in there that has the attitude that they can do whatever they want because they have nothing to gain. Everyone should have SOMETHING to gain, because if they have nothing to gain, they have nothing to lose.

Aside from that, I think you both need to look at what Rudy did for that city which ENABLED Bloomberg to be the mayor he is. Crime control or quality of life is the basis for a successful city. That is one thing nobody can deny that Rudy handled extremely well. Yes, some will argue because they were slighted by his actions, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. It can't be a "free-for-all" for one group, while the other is held to a code of conduct.

Seriously, what do you both have against Rudy, and most importantly, why?

~TT

Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
-TT

Bloomberg has made some great strides with finance in the City--he is a purse-holder manager to say the least.

He's also looked at and worked at improving some of the infrastructure of the health, human services and education departments--with more than moderate success.

And, he is a man that takes himself seriously, by which I mean, he walks his talk and doesn't cave in. He also seems to have established some good to excellent working relationships with several of the more truculent pols.

He is not much of a show-man but a do-er!
Ok, wait a second. You are talking about many things Rudy accomplished. Yes, there has always been a problem with NYC education. I'll give you that Bloomberg may have made some strides. However, the rest of the city infrastructure? The claim is laughable.

This is Rudolph Giuliani we're talking about, right? Where are you getting your information from, the NY Times?

~TT

Old 03-26-2007, 04:23 PM

I admire Rudy for many of his attributes. However, it is my opinion, that he is a tyrant in many ways, and ways in which don't do the team much good. We've seen one President not appear to be a team player--and by that I mean, on the international stage. My biggest concern with RG is that he'll not keep his temper, and do some of the sames things Bush has done with international leaders.

I know you are a strong supporter of his, but TT, I've worked in the NYC government scene for 10 years and it is a tough crowd. Bloomberg is a different fish than Rudy, just like Rudy was a different fish than Koch, etc. Each brought their own personality and style to the office.

I'd like to see someone tough, but not mean-spirited in office--and only time will tell. Bloomberg isn't my candidate, btw, I merely am sharing the thrill of 3's Company! - And perhaps moreso because I am not a Hillary Clinton fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
There is a downside to having too much money.

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good" ~ Gordon Gecko, lol

When kept in check, greed keeps some of these politicians behaving themselves. I really don't want someone in there that has the attitude that they can do whatever they want because they have nothing to gain. Everyone should have SOMETHING to gain, because if they have nothing to gain, they have nothing to lose.

Aside from that, I think you both need to look at what Rudy did for that city which ENABLED Bloomberg to be the mayor he is. Crime control or quality of life is the basis for a successful city. That is one thing nobody can deny that Rudy handled extremely well. Yes, some will argue because they were slighted by his actions, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. It can't be a "free-for-all" for one group, while the other is held to a code of conduct.

Seriously, what do you both have against Rudy, and most importantly, why?

~TT

Old 03-26-2007, 04:25 PM

I missed this! No, I got my information by working in the City of New York as a public advocate for public health. I had to work with the City's appointed and elected officials. I don't take my info from any newspaper!

Don't play games and make accusations, okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Ok, wait a second. You are talking about many things Rudy accomplished. Yes, there has always been a problem with NYC education. I'll give you that Bloomberg may have made some strides. However, the rest of the city infrastructure? The claim is laughable.

This is Rudolph Giuliani we're talking about, right? Where are you getting your information from, the NY Times?

~TT

Old 03-26-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I missed this! No, I got my information by working in the City of New York as a public advocate for public health. I had to work with the City's appointed and elected officials. I don't take my info from any newspaper!

Don't play games and make accusations, okay?
More sarcasm than accusation, and a poke at the NY Times. I hate'em, lol.

Anyway, is anyone reading this thread noticing a common trend?

Ok, this might be offensive to you, but it has to be said.

New York City had some of the WORST government employees on staff a decade and a half ago. Rudy changed that. Many of the citizens of NYC loved him for it. Those that are not fond of his methods........

You guessed it, city employees.

Everyone I meet that has something negative to say about Rudy has either worked for the City of New York, is married to someone who did, or is closely related to someone who did. Do I care? Absolutely not. I can appreciate working for a boss, or in this case it would be like working under a CEO who is a royal pain. However, as Rudy made clear, you either tow the line or find another job. I'm sorry, but THAT is who I want running the country. I don't want someone who is looking to pat his subordinates on the head and let them continue to drag the entire organization down. In this case, it would be OUR COUNTRY.

Sometimes, if for the RIGHT REASONS, making enemies of those in your employ is a good thing. Especially when they're not making the grade.

Rudy FULLY admits to this type of conduct. Read his book "Leadership" and you will see, as well as see why.

~TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or