Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is going to happen in the 2012 Presidential Election?
Obama will be voted out and will be a one term President 8 42.11%
A Third Party Candidate will catch the public's imagination and win 1 5.26%
A fellow Democratic will win the nomination (after Obama is finally blamed for the economy) 2 10.53%
Obama will be re elected and serve a second term 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 AM

943 posts, read 3,166,754 times

Advertisements

I suspect that the campain for the 2012 Presidential Race will start next year. It is going to be the longest most expensive race for the President in history. I have a few questions for you:

Will Obama have a serious challenger for the Democratic Nomination like Jimmy Carter had in 1980? (Ted kennedy). Maybe a more conservative Democrat or maybe someone from the verbal liberal wing who was frustrated Obama did not end the war in Iraq or did to much for Wall Street.

What will be the major campain themes?

Will Obama be a One Term President?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:15 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,065,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I suspect that the campain for the 2012 Presidential Race will start next year. It is going to be the longest most expensive race for the President in history. I have a few questions for you:

Will Obama have a serious challenger for the Democratic Nomination like Jimmy Carter had in 1980? (Ted kennedy). Maybe a more conservative Democrat or maybe someone from the verbal liberal wing who was frustrated Obama did not end the war in Iraq or did to much for Wall Street.

What will be the major campain themes?

Will Obama be a One Term President?
1) No he is their rockstar celebrity
2) the usual lies ..
3) Not as long as Republicans and Democrats are the only viable parties.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,643,761 times
When will the campaining for the 2012 Presidential Race start?

NOT SOON ENOUGH!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:54 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,814,394 times
The poll is totally opposite of the title of the thread.
It's too early to tell if Obama will be given a second term by the people or not.
I didn't vote for him the first time and I won't vote for him again.
I'll probably vote Libertarian in the 2012 race.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,964,020 times
It's already started.

Republicans who are thinking about challenging are testing the waters, repositioning themselves, feeling out the voters, solidifying their bases.

It's just very tentative right now because at the end of the last election the economy raised its head and became the driving issue. With the economy still unstable, potential candidates are in holding patterns while they try to figure out how to package themselves and their positions in a way to appeal to voters.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,065,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's already started.

Republicans who are thinking about challenging are testing the waters, repositioning themselves, feeling out the voters, solidifying their bases.

It's just very tentative right now because at the end of the last election the economy raised its head and became the driving issue. With the economy still unstable, potential candidates are in holding patterns while they try to figure out how to package themselves and their positions in a way to appeal to voters.
Yes they are , they are getting their scripts ready and finding out what Americans want to hear. So they can just tell Americans what they want to hear and then do the complete opposite once in office.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,306,488 times
I don't think he ever stopped campaigning. He is still giving his "campaign speeches".

I think he will be a 2 term president. Not that people will love him but he will leagalize all the 20 million illegals and hand then programs to secure their vote for next time. The welfare gang will carry him over the finish line. They did it this time but next time there will be a whole lot more of the "hand up" people.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:45 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,221,303 times
Obama has never stopped
he is still going
his problem is his huge ego, he has already shot himself in the foot, he is just too stupid to know it yet, but he and his hirelings will find out soon enough.
I don't know who will run against him, but he will not get re-elected

Old 05-08-2009, 06:05 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,441,240 times
None of them ever stop campaigning....democrats or republicans. I think the only things most are concerned with is their political careers and staying in power or regaining power (along with the rest of their party), rather than working together to get the job done that they were elected to do.

To be fair though, it seems when a politician does try and work with the other party to get things accomplished, they quickly get criticized by some of the supporters of their own party as traitors.

There are too many people in this country for things to be done all one way or the other. In my opinion, if there is to be any level of success that remains over time (and not just until the next election is over or the next administration takes office), it must be born out of compromise.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,713,718 times
It is totally impossible to gauge if Obama will be re-elected or not. He could either succeed like Reagan or flop like Carter...we just do not know. We have not even seen the full effect of his policies on the battered economy. I think we may have a better guess following the mid-term elections next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections