Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Republicans proposed raising taxes on the wealthy....
It would not change my vote. 12 75.00%
I would be more willing to vote for a Republican. 4 25.00%
I would be more willing to vote Democrat. 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:48 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Proposin' aint doin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 05:53 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
This will NEVER happen. Republicans look out for the wealthy.
Republicans look out for the 50% of people in the US who pay taxes, which is overwhelmingly the wealthy. The top 5% of wage earners pay 60% or more of federal income taxes.

The other 50% who are represented by Obama and the Democrats are the ones who take from the folks represented by Republicans.

Who Pays Income Taxes? See Who Pays What

Old 06-12-2009, 06:06 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmetroguy View Post
Would you be more willing to vote for a Republican?
I don't know the point of your poll. For this reason, I didn't vote. I have a few thoughts about it:
  1. Generally, Republicans have not been a party to favor a "soak the rich" tax policy. This is because Republicans believe that success shouldn't be "punished" with excessive taxation. But achievement, hard work, and the success it can bring, should be encouraged. That is what made America great. Rugged individualism, hard work, inovation, and acheivement, and the freedom to be whatever you dream, without an oppressive government on your back.

Thus, your first question goes against core principles of our founders, and conservatism. Acheivement, inovation, and individualism are good, and make us strong as a nation.
  2. When President Kennedy cut taxes, it stimulated the economy, and it increased revenue to the Federal Government.

This is because there is a point at which taxation, if it becomes excessive, causes people to change there behavior, and plan their lives and finaces around a tax avoidance strategy, doing things that will put off taxes for later years when their total income may be lower. More favorable tax treatment has the opposite effect; people may be more willing to pay some taxes and realize some capital gain.

President Reagan also reduced taxes, resulting in a huge increase of revenue to the Federal Government. Along with that the economy grew by a huge amount, and Reagan brought us out of the dismal Carter years of double digit inflation, double digit interest rates, and high unemployment.
What Obama is doing makes no sense in the weakening economy that we had when he took office. He has taken a bad situation and made it infinitely worse, to the point our economy is very close to total colapse.

Democrats can no longer blame Bush. This is the Obama economy, and Democrats have been willingly going along, rubber stamping every Obama policy and proposal. It is an unmitigated disaster, and everyone knows it.

Therefore, in asking your question, one must wonder: Why? Why would they want to? For what purpose? That isn't something that traditional Republicans would do, nor should they. It's a recipe for disaster.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Never happen. The Republicans know the rich are the ones that keep the economy strong. Raise their taxes and more jobs go overseas and/or prices rise to the average consumer. This is something Democrats need to learn.
And isn't this exactly what we are seeing in this Obama economy? Fewer jobs, less revenue to the Federal government (down 34% as reported this month) high unemployment (resulting in fewer taxpayers).

Obama is following failed policies. There is nothing new about what he is doing. It won't work, has never worked, and he is simply Jimmy Carter II, only hundreds of times worse. This is a total disaster. We are in grave trouble. We are dead, to put it bluntly. We are about to enter the second "great depression", which could have been avoided.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And isn't this exactly what we are seeing in this Obama economy? Fewer jobs, less revenue to the Federal government (down 34% as reported this month) high unemployment (resulting in fewer taxpayers).

Obama is following failed policies. There is nothing new about what he is doing. It won't work, has never worked, and he is simply Jimmy Carter II, only hundreds of times worse. This is a total disaster. We are in grave trouble. We are dead, to put it bluntly. We are about to enter the second "great depression", which could have been avoided.
Great posts! Obama is proposing policies that have been proven failures time and time again. It's not a matter of hoping Obama fails or succeeds; it's about being honest and knowing that these policies will fail if implemented and trying to do what you can to stop them!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:36 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
I would not change my vote. Until government starts spending my money more responsibly, I would not vote for anyone wishing to raise taxes.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I would not change my vote. Until government starts spending my money more responsibly, I would not vote for anyone wishing to raise taxes.
Wouldn't you prefer spending cuts as opposed to 'wiser' spending?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Wouldn't you prefer spending cuts as opposed to 'wiser' spending?
I would like both. Cuts and better spending, but we have to make a start somewhere.

Logic would say that you make spending changes first, then do the cuts. Or there would be more pain involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections