Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,932,150 times

Advertisements

Oil shale does contain hydrocarbons that can be processed into fuels. Doing this is not worth while at current and near term oil prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,154,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsdfz View Post
When Gas was $3.00 under George W. Bush everyone was calling for his head.

People were crying that gas was $3.00, they couldn't afford gas, they had to ride their bikes to work, they couldn't afford groceries, and the end of the world was near. People said this is what happens when a man in cahoots with the oil company is in office, and he should be impeached impromptu.

Now gas is almost $3.00 (it's $2.78 here) and no one cares. Obama gets a free pass, and no problems at all. Gas is high, Obama is president, and life is great.

Well, let me be the first to say - he should be impeached. Him and his greedy oil buddies are effecting my life, my kids are starving, and I cannot afford to drive my car anymore.

Did you cry this much when it was 4 bucks a gallon and over last year? Did you call for GWB's impeachment? Or did you just start to notice this after January 20?

Old 06-25-2009, 03:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,968,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Did you cry this much when it was 4 bucks a gallon and over last year? Did you call for GWB's impeachment?
Really. I've got news for some of you. Oil will be $5.00/gal. one day. Just when is the open question. Don't whine about it, don't cry about it, don't even bother fearing it happening. Get a clue and push for alternative engergy sources for your car. Now while there can still be an orderly migration to the new technology

Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,296,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Really. I've got news for some of you. Oil will be $5.00/gal. one day. Just when is the open question. Don't whine about it, don't cry about it, don't even bother fearing it happening. Get a clue and push for alternative engergy sources for your car. Now while there can still be an orderly migration to the new technology
yeah and one day we WILL run out of oil

Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,932,150 times
We may run out of cheap petroleum based oil but with proper application of appropriate technology we will never run out of oil. Liquid oil like hydrocarbons can be made out of any source of carbon and water under the proper conditions.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:36 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,617,814 times
What if I don't care if gas prices are higher regardless of the president.
Live closer to where you work. Healthy people can get to work, etc.., without a car. Living far away from your daily activities is a recent and wasteful circumstance. Just because we currently can, does not mean we are entitled to it.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,069,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We may run out of cheap petroleum based oil but with proper application of appropriate technology we will never run out of oil. Liquid oil like hydrocarbons can be made out of any source of carbon and water under the proper conditions.
Not in the quanties needed or a price consumers can afford. It might be cheaper than alternative since they will take massive infrastruture cost to be ocome commonly availble;but still a long ways of be mass produced. But at least it would also make keep the thousands of products made from oil still available.That the problem with all other sources of oil like Shale oil and especailly alternatives;it will take years and at very high cost then we have to repalce those products.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,785,484 times
Well here comes Cap and Trade, so get ready for $5 to $6 a gallon gas. It is a good thing for the environment and I am now looking for land to build a solar house on. I really want a little solar house so this is not that big a deal to me. I do feel for those who will not be able to turn on their air conditioner, especially in AZ., or turn on their computers, especially if they work at home. Wow, just think about how much that McDonald cheeseburger is going to cost us now. Just think about all the hidden pork that got shoved into this bill the last 24 hours. They even stated that they did not know what was in this bill.
I am thinking about how things really do start to get painful when democrats are in power and how the poor and elderly really are usefull fools and see non of the benefits of this power.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,492,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
What if I don't care if gas prices are higher regardless of the president.
Live closer to where you work. Healthy people can get to work, etc.., without a car. Living far away from your daily activities is a recent and wasteful circumstance. Just because we currently can, does not mean we are entitled to it.

I can see the bill in the House right now:

Mandated - "Live within 10 miles of where you work".

Mandated - "If you are healthy ( approved by a physician paid through National Healthcare ) you must walk to work.

Living far away from my daily activities is a wasteful circumstance?

Should I live in a big city because environmentalists say so? I suppose I should save a whale today too.

Quote:
Just because we currently can, does not mean we are entitled to it.
I live in America's countryside. Who in the hell can tell me where I am or am not ENTITLED to live.

Put a brick in your toilet to save water. I will live as I damn well please.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:22 PM

404 posts, read 562,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Its called a double standard.
It is also called hypocrisy...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections