Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the GOP Gain or Lose Seats in 2010 ??
GOP will add seats. 45 69.23%
GOP will lose seats. 17 26.15%
Seats won't change much. 2 3.08%
Not sure / No opinion. 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:10 PM

817 posts, read 855,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
She was going to run in 2012 anyways. Who cares? That's like saying the (D)s were doomed in '04 and '08 b/c Kucinich was in the race.

The (D)s have such big margins, they're basically going to run against themselves. If they implemented moderate and reasonable pro-growth policies, they could essentially wipe out the GOP for a long time. If they act as Communists (which they are now), the GOP will do well if for no other reason that the (D)s are over-reaching. The (D)s won in '06 and '08 b/c the GOP dropped the ball not b/c they had any good ideas. Obviously their ideas are disastrous as we have tanked since took over Congress in '07 and the WH in '09.
If the economy hasn't improved the republicans will gain seats and probably a majority. We are better off when one party doesn't control everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 07:20 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,360,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
If the economy hasn't improved the republicans will gain seats and probably a majority. We are better off when one party doesn't control everything.
The Economy will not have improved by then, if Obama and the (D)s continue to promote the garbage that they're pushing now.

Keep in mind the policies that (D)s advocate HURT the Economy: higher taxes, more regulations, bigger Government, higher energy prices, more unions, etc. NOTHING (D)s support is pro-growth; it's pretty much all anti-growth.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:43 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,172,484 times
It all depends on the economy really and I don't see obamas polices helping any.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It all depends on the economy really and I don't see obamas polices helping any.
I agree, but not only are Obama's policies not helping any, they are HURTING the recovery. This is an important point to highlight. The (D) party is destroying the Economy and it's hard for me to believe they're dumb enough not to know (i.e. they're doing it on purpose).

Old 07-04-2009, 05:14 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,395,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
The GOP will gain seats in the House, but that's not that surprising. The (D)s carry a lot more districts that lean (R) than the opposite. Typically, the president's party loses seats in the first MidTerm election. The question is how many seats the (R) party will gain. I hope it's a LOT so there can be some checks and balances in the House.

Senate races actually favor the (D)s b/c there are more competitive races held by (R)s than (D)s. Hopefully, the Rs can minimize the damage in the Senate.
Personally, I think the Republicans will gain, and I think it's going to be big. I'm guessing, of course, but people are mad as hell out here. They aren't getting what they thought they were voting for.

Remember the phrase, "It's the economy, stupid"? Well, just look what the Dumbocrats have done to the economy, and they are doing nothing to fix it. In fact, everything they do is making it worse, and people know it. They feel it, and they are living it. Jobs are being lost, none are being created, and they have no hope of being created because this administration is doing everything it can to destroy business. It cannot get better until people feel confident that the government is not going to mess with them in a big (expensive) way, and so far, there is no indication that government is going to stop doing what they are doing. It's tax, tax, tax. That is what we are hearing, and that is all we are hearing.

More taxes, less business. It's that simple.

The Democrats will be red meat in 2010. And they are going to be dead meat.

But, I didn't think the voters would elect Obama either.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:31 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,721,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
In the US House or Representatives which way will the power swing?
The GOP is going to gain seats but will not get the House back and probably not the Senate (just because Vitter and Bunning will probably lose their Senate seats, and McCain might lose his Senate seat, which will make up for a GOP gain of 7-10 Senate seats). OTOH, Dem control of the Senate will be only by a very, very small majority, like 52-48 or 51-49, maybe even 50-50 (in which case the Dems would still have tenuous control because of Biden being a tiebreaker). Say goodbye to the filibuster proof Dem majority. GOP control of the Senate by 51-49 is possible but IMO probably won't happen.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:36 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,721,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Personally, I think the Republicans will gain, and I think it's going to be big. I'm guessing, of course, but people are mad as hell out here. They aren't getting what they thought they were voting for.
I do think the Republicans will gain 20-30 House seats in 2010.

However, remember that the Democrats currently have an 80 seat majority over the Republicans over the House, so they'll still be in control.

GOP control of the Senate is more likely than GOP control of the House, but still not probable. Dems controlling the Senate by the barest of majorities is much more likely, considering that there are only two Republicans who are sure to lose their seats in 2010 (Vitter and Bunning) while a few Dems are sure to lose their seats (Dodd, Bayh, Dorgan, Gillibrand, Inouye, the guy who replaced Biden whose name I forget), a few others might lose their seats, and the vacant seats currently held by Republicans not running for re-election will stay red. Even if the GOP wins the Senate they'll still have the barest of majorities.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 AM

646 posts, read 1,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I do think the Republicans will gain 20-30 House seats in 2010.

However, remember that the Democrats currently have an 80 seat majority over the Republicans over the House, so they'll still be in control.

GOP control of the Senate is more likely than GOP control of the House, but still not probable. Dems controlling the Senate by the barest of majorities is much more likely, considering that there are only two Republicans who are sure to lose their seats in 2010 (Vitter and Bunning) while a few Dems are sure to lose their seats (Dodd, Bayh, Dorgan, Gillibrand, Inouye, the guy who replaced Biden whose name I forget), a few others might lose their seats, and the vacant seats currently held by Republicans not running for re-election will stay red. Even if the GOP wins the Senate they'll still have the barest of majorities.

Republicans will probably lose a few more seats in the House and possible one or two in the Senate. Overall the Republicans have more seats up for election. I think the Democrats will win the day again.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The GOP is going to gain seats but will not get the House back and probably not the Senate (just because Vitter and Bunning will probably lose their Senate seats, and McCain might lose his Senate seat, which will make up for a GOP gain of 7-10 Senate seats). OTOH, Dem control of the Senate will be only by a very, very small majority, like 52-48 or 51-49, maybe even 50-50 (in which case the Dems would still have tenuous control because of Biden being a tiebreaker). Say goodbye to the filibuster proof Dem majority. GOP control of the Senate by 51-49 is possible but IMO probably won't happen.
Vitter will win his seat as the DC madame scandal is a bit dated. He's a real conservative and, last I checked, his numbers are good (and the search for a good opponent is weak). Rand Paul (son of Ron) is running for Bunning's seatl hopefully he can win that seat and keep it (R).

Old 07-07-2009, 03:23 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,472,794 times
Default Will Republicans gain seats or lose seats in 2010?

The GOP could very well pick up a few seats in the House, but not enough to make a difference. In the Senate, I wouldn't be suprised to the see the Dems gain another seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections