Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the GOP Gain or Lose Seats in 2010 ??
GOP will add seats. 45 69.23%
GOP will lose seats. 17 26.15%
Seats won't change much. 2 3.08%
Not sure / No opinion. 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,399,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't see the Dems gaining seats in the House. The economy's crappy and the opposition party usually wins seats in the first off year election during an administration. In essence, this is 1982 all over again, with the parties reversed ; Obama's Reagan and the GOP then are the Dems now (in terms of positioning). Given the margin that the Dems have in the House, they'll keep the House. The Senate is another story. That'll be very close. Whoever controls that will control it by the barest of majorities. I'm starting to think that control of the Senate will be a toss-up. Members of both parties will lose seats but more Dems will lose seats than Republicans. Although with Burris not running for election his seat (Obama's old seat) will stay in Dem hands. As stated before the only Republicans sure to lose their seats will be Vitter (who faces a strong challenge from Charlie Melancon, although Melancon would hardly be a loyal Dem vote in the Senate) and Jim Bunning (who has an undistinguished record in the Senate, an approval rating in the 20s, and some strong Dem challengers). As for the person who mentioned Rand Paul's possible challenge to Bunning, he'd get treated as badly by the national GOP as his dad did in 2008, and a primary challenge would just strengthen the Dems.
I do not know if it will be that close in the senate. Bear in mind republicans need to win 11 seats for control and only 18 Dem seats up for election. Some like the 2 seats in NY, and the seats in DE, AR, HI, ND, WI, IN, OR, MD, VT, and WA are considered safe democratic. Leaving only 6 who may lose their seats and in CA, CT, CO, IL, PA and NV and many of those are not likely to change either. One prediction I will make is that while republicans certainly can make gains in the senate I do not think they will be able to take it over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 09:07 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
I've added a poll to this thread, though late, in hopes of capturing some easy to see opinions.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
We have to start now to prevent the disastrous loss of control that will be created by Republicans winning ANY more seats in the House or the Senate. We need the time to change the direction of the country from neocon madness to the current centrist policies.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,596,239 times
I think if all of them all of a sudden turned gay and checked into rehab, they would still win by a landslide. The Dems are finished in Congress....and Govs too...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,819,712 times
Democrats will take most of the seats.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I do not know if it will be that close in the senate. Bear in mind republicans need to win 11 seats for control and only 18 Dem seats up for election. Some like the 2 seats in NY, and the seats in DE, AR, HI, ND, WI, IN, OR, MD, VT, and WA are considered safe democratic. Leaving only 6 who may lose their seats and in CA, CT, CO, IL, PA and NV and many of those are not likely to change either. One prediction I will make is that while republicans certainly can make gains in the senate I do not think they will be able to take it over.
I disagree about Gillibrand's seat and the seats in DE, HI, ND, and IN being safe Dem seats. Those seats are all likely to go GOP. CT's assured to go GOP. Dodd, Dorgan, Inouye, Bayh, and Gillibrand are all going to lose, and the open seat in DE is going to go to former DE GOP governor Mike Castle. Add those to the 6 seats that you mentioned and that's 12 seats.

Therefore, Obama will probably face a Republican Senate (held by an exceptionally slim majority) and a Dem House albeit one with a 50-60 seat majority instead of an 80 seat majority.

Another factor to take into consideration: what if Robert Byrd and/or Ted Kennedy die before the 2010 election? While the appointees who'd fill those seats are likely to keep them, there's a possibility that Byrd's seat or, if the NE GOP comeback is strong enough, even Teddy's might be taken by a Republican (although this is less likely than Byrd's seat going GOP).

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I disagree about Gillibrand's seat and the seats in DE, HI, ND, and IN being safe Dem seats. Those seats are all likely to go GOP. CT's assured to go GOP. Dodd, Dorgan, Inouye, Bayh, and Gillibrand are all going to lose, and the open seat in DE is going to go to former DE GOP governor Mike Castle. Add those to the 6 seats that you mentioned and that's 12 seats.
You're way too optimistic. Even if the GOP wins Gillibrand's seat, it will just be a NorthEast Republican which is not much better than a moderate (D) though Gillibrand is no moderate. Same with Delaware; Castle is a joke who supported Cap and Trade. As much as I would like him to lose, Bayh will carry IN again. Dorgan will also win.

CT is competitive and I would like to see Peter Schiff win, but it is a solid blue state. I would not rule CT as a GOP lock.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,331,240 times
Democracy (to some extent) in the U.S is a joke! For one since you only have two real parties you are forced to vote for the lesser of two evils (Bush vs Kerry, Gore vs Bush) you get the point. Secondly, when was the last time a "commoner" won a congressional or senate seat? The majority of the politicians are so out of touch with the average joe it is absurb! The vast majority of office holders are lawyers, which by the way is properly the most despised occupation in the country.

This brings to mind, why politicians are more loyal to a party than the people that they are suppose to represent?

Sorry 'bout the rant I just wanted to get that off of my chest

Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,485,092 times
Ya know,

I can't say this with full confidence. But, Sarah Palin became Governor of Alaska as an average Joe.

The media did everything but shove a stake through her heart.

I'm not a huge Palin fan .... but, when you have a media that only has one agenda, that's what you get.

I think it's time to put the pitchforks to the media.

100 channels on cable, and all you get is a one sided media. It's already seemingly OK to be gay. What else do they want?

The United States has to get the Democrats out in 2012. Every time this happens, everyone remembers why Democrats shouldn't be in power. They always **** away our freedom.

Republicans will win more Congressional seats because people like Barbara Boxer are so obviously loons. Why would anyone pay her $150,000 a year to act like a loon?

Old 12-22-2009, 09:05 PM

5 posts, read 5,301 times
Unless we want more taxes and government spending, Republicans had better gain some seats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections