Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,593,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
im a conservative, but I cant stand Hannity or Beck. I use to really like Beck, but he kind of got wierd
I felt the same way but I really like O'reilly again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:04 AM

14,413 posts, read 22,593,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Fox News is the best run of the political cable networks. I have to admit. Their shows are entertaining. A credible news source, ehhh, not so much.
Many shows on FOX is not about giving people the current news. When they do that they are as credible as any other station. They have to be. If you watch a live police car chase in Dallas on FOX you will see the same one on CNBC, If a man kills his family in Indiana you will have the same facts from all the news station.

Fox News is a mix between regular news as they happen and discussions and debates.
O' Reillys show is not about telling people about the latest up to date news. It is a show were he gives HIS opinions about current events. That doesn't mean they are right. It is his opinion, and he has guest on the show that are there to argue with him.

I love FOX.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,418,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Many shows on FOX is not about giving people the current news. When they do that they are as credible as any other station. They have to be. If you watch a live police car chase in Dallas on FOX you will see the same one on CNBC, If a man kills his family in Indiana you will have the same facts from all the news station.

Fox News is a mix between regular news as they happen and discussions and debates.
O' Reillys show is not about telling people about the latest up to date news. It is a show were he gives HIS opinions about current events. That doesn't mean they are right. It is his opinion, and he has guest on the show that are there to argue with him.

I love FOX.
Except that the name of the channel is fox NEWS, therefor giving the impression that its a news channel, when really the actual news is only on for maybe an hour. Even then it is sprinkled with Republican bias. Fox news is worthless for anything other than republican circle jerking.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,175,504 times
What Fox does is give positive reinforcement to conservative, neo-con ideas. Much like a mother does with her child during potty training.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:16 PM

829 posts, read 1,284,532 times
Online Poll: Jon Stewart Is America's Most Trusted Newsman

As I mentioned earlier, John Stewart outranks everyone at Fox, NBC and CNN as the nations most trusted news person.

What does that say about entertainment and news being blended? Well, it says that news is not as interesting unless it gives off a stimuli. CNN realized this when inventing the 24 hour news network. Fox realized it when creating a right wing leaning network with glamour models as anchors and plenty of flashy graphics. MSNBC realized it when they saw that Fox had taken the right wing market and left wing watchers had no news station that supported them.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:59 PM

24,538 posts, read 33,448,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Online Poll: Jon Stewart Is America's Most Trusted Newsman

As I mentioned earlier, John Stewart outranks everyone at Fox, NBC and CNN as the nations most trusted news person.

What does that say about entertainment and news being blended? Well, it says that news is not as interesting unless it gives off a stimuli. CNN realized this when inventing the 24 hour news network. Fox realized it when creating a right wing leaning network with glamour models as anchors and plenty of flashy graphics. MSNBC realized it when they saw that Fox had taken the right wing market and left wing watchers had no news station that supported them.
Yeah, "most trusted" according to a poll from the left-wing Time magazine!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 PM

3,105 posts, read 7,398,102 times
People are turning to Fox News Channel because it is so obvious the other news shows are only reporting what the White House tells them.
Agree or disagree - at least you get info at Fox News you don't get elsewhere.

There is ONE exception - I do like Joe Scarsborough on Morning Joe on MSNBC. He doesn't seem to be a WH talking head.
Didn't agree with Joe this AM however - he was making fun cuz Fox (not Fox News Channel) is showing So You Think You Can Dance instead of Obama's speech on healthcare tonight.

Don't know if I'll be watching the dancing but I won't be watching the Obama speech.
I don't believe what he will be saying.
I've heard some of what Obama has declared over this health bill -- then I hear experts on the other side tell what the details REALLY entail.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:17 PM

1,520 posts, read 3,802,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Doesn't mean diddly poo because FOX was more popular than MSNBC and CNN during the election season and how did that work out? Many people, like myself, watch it for entertainment, not to be informed. I mean what's more entertaining, hearing about how crappy the war in Iraq is going or watching some blowhard Meth addict pretend to cry over a piece of legislation? Kind of like how Jerry Springer is more entertaining than the tonight show
Though I lean to the right, there might be some truth to this. I heard on the radio the other day that more people list to Limbaugh's show that hate him than the people who agree with him, LOL!

Seems Limbaugh and his methodological bretheren, Howard Stern and Tom Leykis all share the following philosophy of getting an audience...

"Pick a constituency... then do everything you can to p1ss everyone else off"...

(Paraphrased from Leykis.)

That said, I also think there's some truth in the idea that Obama can't really do a whole lot one way or the other because he's one person in D.C. Beyond that, he probably found out why some things are the way they are *after* he got into office.

Funny how Obama continues to support the Bush policy of wire taps, for example.

Hmm... maybe the external problems are the same, no matter who's at the wheel.

And just maybe the solutions look about the same too.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:20 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,108,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Nah they are just number one for no reason at all.

To hear most libs here say it that the country is full of left wingers so they must be watching Fox then right?
Like I've said about 3 or 4 times in this thread, FOX's ratings mean nothing. Their ratings were better than CNN's or MSNBC during the election. What does that tell you? Obviously there's a mass of people who don't watch it for knowledge or the desire to be swayed to a certain view. I'm a FOX viewer and I know I fall into that category. It's kind of like choosing between regular 10:00 news and Jerry Springer. One of them is better for you but the other is trash but it's still your guilty pleasure you can't turn away from.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 PM

3,105 posts, read 7,398,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
That said, I also think there's some truth in the idea that Obama can't really do a whole lot one way or the other because he's one person in D.C. Beyond that, he probably found out why some things are the way they are *after* he got into office.

Funny how Obama continues to support the Bush policy of wire taps, for example.

Hmm... maybe the external problems are the same, no matter who's at the wheel.

And just maybe the solutions look about the same too.
Great point and so true.
Our Presidents aren't dicatators, they are mostly "figureheads", "talking heads", whatever you want to call them for the group who is really calling the shots. Don't know exactly who this group is, a group of Senators, Congress, or ??????

When things tank, the President takes all the blame and that shadow group keeps on keeping on.

In some ways, you have to feel somewhat bad for Obama. So often he comes across quite smug in his speeches - wonder if he has that much confidence that the shadow group will get their way or does he really think he is calling the shots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections