Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,489,769 times

Advertisements

I think that views have either become more fogged --- or sharper.

Everyone should note that politics is not about which politician wins, for the sake of a large portion of American citizens getting to tout "WE WON".

Americans have the freedom to vote for leaders that they believe in.

It seems that once someone is elected to represent us ... they think that means "spend like a drunken sailor".

I've never voted for someone with the intention that they would spend my tax money like a monkey in a banana shop. But, that's just me.

Some people believe that spending trillions of dollars is the only way to dig ourselves out of a deep ditch. If we run out of money - we can print some more.

OK ... You know where I stand.

What makes the party you Identify yourself with better than any other political party? Would you ever change your mind in the voting booth if you thought that your lifelong political party was moving in a direction that you disagree with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 03:12 PM

980 posts, read 1,149,487 times
Post The Reactionary, The Conservative and The Progressive

First off, it seems to be "true" that both parties are beholden to one Establishment and That Establishment is soft on Communism and pro-World Government. So, you should be realistic. Examine The Establishment and accept it, then cast your vote. Remember, you are not going to vote The Establishment out of office (for starters, they control The Media and Public Schools; that is a huge amount of power, to mold the minds of The General Public).

With that said, I vote Republican, because they spend less money, are less radical, in regards to race, gender and religion and, in general, appoint judges that are less Radical than Democrats do. Radicalism = a desire to abolish Rank. In other words, it is a desire to establish what our Media and Public School Brain-Washers/Zombie-Makers call, "Equality." Naturally, Republicans don't want to be labeled: sexist, racist, homophobic, anti-semitic, islamaphobic, mexaphobic, etc, etc and as a result, become somewhat radicalized themselves. Moreover, Conservatives, from a Marxist point of view, have always guarded and supported the radical changes made by Progressives. Thereby, ingratiating themselves to The Establishment and, as a result, gathering its' support! However, they generally resist the new changes Progressives want to make and that's why I vote for them, because, in the end, I'm a Reactionary and Reactionaries want to undo the Radical changes made by Progressives and guarded by Conservatives. So, when Ron Paul says, "I want to abolish The IRS and The Federal Reserve," I nominate him, because those institutions are Progressive Institutions, which as a Reactionary, I want to abolish. However, when the nominations are made, I vote for The Conservative, because they always win The Nomination. Still, I suppose folks can demand more from their party, but letting a guy like Obama win, seems like a huge sacrifice to make. So, I didn't buy into that voting strategy.

(John McCain, for example, supported The Bailouts, but his spending proposals and record of spending were much, much, much more frugal than Obama's. Still, I don't think our Media reported that very well and, given the goals of our Establishment, I'm not surprised. I think they were hoping a Negro would be elected President, even or perhaps, especially if he had a Waspy Mother.)

Old 08-30-2009, 04:07 PM

97 posts, read 110,932 times
I consider myself a Democrat, and I voted for Obama (and I don't regret it because I don't feel things would be better had I voted the other way). I mostly affiliate with the Democratic Party still because I'm more of a traditional "Kennedy" Liberal (and I don't mean Ted) and I guess I hope that my party might actually go back to being more center-left. And I agree with the Dems on most issues, but in more moderation than many policies that people like Speaker Pelosi support. I don't really agree with Republicans because they're also becoming more radical it seems. I have thought a lot about becoming an independent but I just maintain my affiliation because independents can't vote in MD primaries, so there is nothing to be gained by removing my affiliation. I guess what I'm saying is my party is moving in the wrong direction, I am willing to switch, but there is no other option that is even remotely better.

As for the "we won" mindset, it's interesting you should bring that up. I'm reading this book called "The Political Brain" all about the psychology of politics. About 2/3 of Americans are considered "partisans" who have developed an emotional attachment to their party. I know that sounds weird, but think about it - it's something that happens whenever you feel like you're a part of a group. They will defend their party and it's members even when they are clearly wrong, even if they themselves personally disagree with the actions. They think anything "their party" is better than anything "the other party." This attachment is broken over time if the party increasingly disenfranchises its members, something we are seeing a lot with both parties these days.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:09 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,029,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I think that views have either become more fogged --- or sharper.

Everyone should note that politics is not about which politician wins, for the sake of a large portion of American citizens getting to tout "WE WON".

Americans have the freedom to vote for leaders that they believe in.

It seems that once someone is elected to represent us ... they think that means "spend like a drunken sailor".

I've never voted for someone with the intention that they would spend my tax money like a monkey in a banana shop. But, that's just me.

Some people believe that spending trillions of dollars is the only way to dig ourselves out of a deep ditch. If we run out of money - we can print some more.

OK ... You know where I stand.

What makes the party you Identify yourself with better than any other political party? Would you ever change your mind in the voting booth if you thought that your lifelong political party was moving in a direction that you disagree with?
The Democratic Party. While I don't think that it does as much as it could do, it is not hijacked by the religious interests that keep this country from socially progressing. Yes, I could change parties if I felt that it strayed too much and in fact have seriously considered it. But when the right wing crazies come out of the woodwork, I feel compelled to vote for the Democrats.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:17 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,345,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The Democratic Party. While I don't think that it does as much as it could do, it is not hijacked by the religious interests that keep this country from socially progressing. Yes, I could change parties if I felt that it strayed too much and in fact have seriously considered it. But when the right wing crazies come out of the woodwork, I feel compelled to vote for the Democrats.
The (D) party is controlled by the likes of MoveOn, the unions, blogs (Kos, etc), environmentalists, pro abortion groups and others.

I would say that both parties have their fringes and, IMO, it's hard to say that the (R) lunatics are worse than the (D) lunatics.

I've been disappointed with the GOP as of late, but their platform (IMO) is much better than the (D)s. The GOP talks an excellent game but, when the rubber hits the road, many elected (R)s do not deliver. That said, there are many (R) officials that do make the right votes (Paul, Pence, Coburn, Bachmann, many other TX Congressional reps, etc.)

Old 08-31-2009, 11:56 PM

980 posts, read 1,149,487 times
I don't know what people expects from these parties anymore. Our elites don't seem to have much respect for us. They treat as if we were things, they can use for their own selfish reasons.

The ties that bind us together as a nation have been undone. It seems like they're trying to do that to everyone else in The World. People like to blame it on "capitalism in the raw." As if. Take Mercantilism, from America's 19th Century and Japan's recently lost "golden age," and Mercantilism seems pretty successful. Protectionism, Economic Nationalism, all of today's bogey men

Homogeneous Nations = today's enemy number one. What exactly is wrong with a nation being religiously and racially homogeneous or "pure." Last I checked, around The World and in History, those places made people feel like they belonged and were valued. That's a far cry from today's diversity celebrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections