Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,470,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
The unemployment rate may spike a few months from now but it will slowly and surely go down. The DOW is back up over 10000, demand is increasing, which in turn means jobs, the more money people have, the housing market will get better and so on. It's a domino effect that takes a long time. Look how long it took FDR. What about this don't some of these conservatives understand?
This is one 100% conservative (social and fiscal) who sincerely hopes you are right. In fact, I PRAY every night that you are right because if you are not, my life as a "boomer" could easily end as a pauper. However, you should be aware that things here in west Texas continue slowing even though we escaped much of the earlier economic downturn. Right now money here is just not moving. One of my renters just left this month seeking work in Arizona and another left for the east coast. I have only three renters.

Don't think all conservatives wish disaster on this President. Some of us have as much or more to lose as he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:58 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,360,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
The unemployment rate may spike a few months from now but it will slowly and surely go down. The DOW is back up over 10000, demand is increasing, which in turn means jobs, the more money people have, the housing market will get better and so on. It's a domino effect that takes a long time. Look how long it took FDR. What about this don't some of these conservatives understand?

You couldn't be more wrong. We're broke now b/c of previous Big Government policies, namely Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. Government spending does not mean wealth or prosperity. We need production. To get production, we need to provide productive people with less regulations and lower taxes. Obama supports more regulation and higher taxes.

The DOW is rising, but the currency is weakening. If you look at the DOW in terms of an ounce of gold, it has gone down drastically. Look at gold prices surging. The true unemployment rate is closer to 18-20%. The budget deficit this year was $1.4 Trillion and the national debt is skyrocketing along with the deficit. The currency is getting weaker. There is no good news.

What do Obama and the (D)s support? Higher taxes, more unions, more regulations, higher energy prices, open border, Government run Healthcare. If you think these policies will help the Economy, you're wrong. Look at the cities and states that the left runs. Everything the left runs, it runs into the ground.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:01 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,360,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
This is one 100% conservative (social and fiscal) who sincerely hopes you are right. In fact, I PRAY every night that you are right because if you are not, my life as a "boomer" could easily end as a pauper. However, you should be aware that things here in west Texas continue slowing even though we escaped much of the earlier economic downturn. Right now money here is just not moving. One of my renters just left this month seeking work in Arizona and another left for the east coast. I have only three renters.

Don't think all conservatives wish disaster on this President. Some of us have as much or more to lose as he.
It's not wishing a disaster on Obama. It's that Obama is a disaster and his policies are disastrous. This is fact. He supports policies that have failed time and time again. When Limbaugh said 'I hope he fails,' I think the statement was incorrect and should have been 'Obama will fail' (whether I like it or not).

If you shoot yourself in the head, you will die even if you hope you live. In the same sense, Obama's policies WILL fail regardless of what we believe. The reason is that the policies are flawed from the start. I may as well say I can fix the Economy by urinating out of my window. My method won't be any less successful than Obama's 'stimulus,' as both were doomed to fail from the onset (except taking a leak does not cost $787 B).

Old 12-04-2009, 12:56 AM

24,908 posts, read 39,374,717 times
Why is Obama losing support?

Because he is a liar.

Any other questions?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:09 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,756,583 times
We're going through very difficult times and many Americans have little patience. They had unrealistic expectations for his first year in office.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:19 AM

24,908 posts, read 39,374,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
We're going through very difficult times and many Americans have little patience. They had unrealistic expectations for his first year in office.
Is it unrealistic to expect him to keep promises? For instance, he said he promised that he would do everything in an air of bipartisanship? Has he?

He promised that there would be "transparency". Has there been?

He PROMISED that any legislation, any amendments would be posted for AT LEAST 72 hours so citizens could read and respond to the proposals. Has that happened?

At todays job summit? Guess who WAS NOT invited to the table?

Face it - the expectations that Obama presented were BS - he has NOT kept his word. HIS OWN PARTY is so ticked off at him - more are ready to jump ship.

Heck - BUSH looks better than Obama

Old 12-04-2009, 01:28 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,756,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Is it unrealistic to expect him to keep promises? For instance, he said he promised that he would do everything in an air of bipartisanship? Has he?

He promised that there would be "transparency". Has there been?

He PROMISED that any legislation, any amendments would be posted for AT LEAST 72 hours so citizens could read and respond to the proposals. Has that happened?

At todays job summit? Guess who WAS NOT invited to the table?

Face it - the expectations that Obama presented were BS - he has NOT kept his word. HIS OWN PARTY is so ticked off at him - more are ready to jump ship.

Heck - BUSH looks better than Obama
Most of us are too biased to make a rational judgement about the things you listed. I just go by Politifact's Obameter:

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

He's kept a lot more promises than he's broken so far. If you're hell-bent on disliking him, though, a rational, non-partisan evaluation is meaningless.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 AM

37,848 posts, read 41,209,489 times
In no special order:

1. Poll after poll shows the top concerns of Americans are jobs and government spending and yet they see this President concentrating on cap and trade (a jobs and price buster that will cost them more money - under my plans electric costs will skyrocket) and healthcare (56% oppose Obamacare now). Do as I say, not as I do: Telling people to be fiscally responsible at the same time you spend like a drunken sailor. Only 36% say the stimulus was good for the economy. I'm sure this polling data is why the President decided to have his jobs summit but does the public see it as a dog and pony show?

2. Not having your own healthcare plan. Let Congress play Stevie Wonder at a Lighthouse for The Blind convention. No sweat off your back. If it's unpopular, you can always distance yourself from the details.

3. Only 43% give Obama high marks for the handling of the Fort Hood shooting perhaps because it doesn't take a brainiac to figure out that a guy in touch with with radical imams in Yemen, who advocates for jihad, isn't your run of the mill nutjob...but let's not jump to conclusions.

4. The NYC trial of terrorists makes no sense whatsoever if you say it's to showcase the American Justice System to the world then in the very next breath you are saying even if they are found "not guilty" you aren't going to let them go. Giving up intelligence material for a dog and pony show is not keeping us safe, either. And how cold-hearted is it to do it near the gaping hole in the ground?

5. Dithering A REALLY LONG TIME on Afghanistan when the General you appointed asks for 40,000 - 60,000 troops and when you finally get around to it, you can't even hit his minimum number of 40,000. Then there's an image of al Qaeda and the Taliban, filing their nails and waiting for the magic date of troop withdrawal. (Nobody is saying you shouldn't have a schedule. It's announcing it that's problematic.)

6. Bowing to every Tom, Dick and Harry with a title.

7. Big Brother Government: what you eat, what you drive, how your health is managed, what your thermostat is set on, how your house is insulated, etc.. Working your ass off to be successful only to have the government step in and hand off your money to those less responsible in life definitely cheeses off people who play by the rules. "We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded."

8. Cheating, lying, criminal and goon tactics overlooked: SEIU thuggery, ACORN, Black Panthers at the voting places but pouncing on Massachusetts cops with no evidence. Tony Soprano tactics with big business/financial operations. If I give you money, you are beholden to me.

9. Surrounding yourself with people (czars) who ponder, theorize and advocate the merits of shoelace tying but have never done actually it themselves.

10. Running a car company.

11. The audacity of not vetting. Surrounding yourself with commies, Mao lovers, tax evaders, and former criminals, none of which could probably get a security clearance to work as a Grade 3 clerk in the federal government.

12. A corrupt media, stupid electorate buying the - I sat in Reverend Wright's church for 20 years and never heard a darn thing he said. Bill Ayers was just a radical bomber guy in the neighborhood that happened to host my political coming out party and I sat on a few boards with but I never actually looked at him. Just because I have been friends with crooked Tony Rezko since 1990 and we bought property doesn't mean I actually knew him. "I had this thrill going up my leg" overt Obama fanboys in the news media.

13. Turtle tunnels.

14. It has finally dawned on the elctorate that no poor person has ever given them a job and maybe those rich guys who employ people shouldn't be taxed to the max, after all.

15. I'm 20 - 25 and I'm going to have to have how much debt when I'm older?

16. al-Qaeda isn't the biggest threat. Former members of the US military, the US Chamber of Commerce, Rush Limbaugh, tea party people, old folks at town hall meetings and those critics at Fox News are. Do they have magazines? Maybe if they put me on the cover....

17. What do you mean it doesn't look good if I take two plane loads of people to NYC for a date with the wife?

18. Nobel Peace Prize (not Obama's fault but doesn't play well) for not being George W Bush...and a speech.

19. Just because my ears stick out doesn't mean I've heard about that bogus climate change stuff threatening my agenda. I hear nothing. We will forge on.

20. That death panel talk is ludicrous. We're not going to cut your benefits, seniors. Everybody will be covered if they have hip, heart or eye problems. It's just that Britney will get surgery and grandma will get a pain pill. See, both have the same benefits. They're both covered. So, maybe the treatment is a little different...but after all, geezers, you got yours when you were in your 30s. Now just lay down and die. And that doctor stuff...do you really need to have your tonsils removed or is that family doctor, who doesn't even do the surgery, trying to make a fast buck off the system?

21. How's that talkin' to Iran workin' out?

Old 12-04-2009, 02:11 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,108,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. We're broke now b/c of previous Big Government policies, namely Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. Government spending does not mean wealth or prosperity. We need production. To get production, we need to provide productive people with less regulations and lower taxes. Obama supports more regulation and higher taxes.

The DOW is rising, but the currency is weakening. If you look at the DOW in terms of an ounce of gold, it has gone down drastically. Look at gold prices surging. The true unemployment rate is closer to 18-20%. The budget deficit this year was $1.4 Trillion and the national debt is skyrocketing along with the deficit. The currency is getting weaker. There is no good news.

What do Obama and the (D)s support? Higher taxes, more unions, more regulations, higher energy prices, open border, Government run Healthcare. If you think these policies will help the Economy, you're wrong. Look at the cities and states that the left runs. Everything the left runs, it runs into the ground.
Keynesian economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,081,368 times
It is crystal clear why he is losing support, outside of his general incompetence of governing.

This is a center right country, obama ran as a moderate democrat. His agenda has been anything but moderate. His multi-trillion dollar, massive government expansion, massive tax increase for obamacare when ALL the polls show this is NOT what the American people had in mind when thinking about HC reform (which no longer even MEETS his stated goals anymore), his disastrous job-killing, massive tax hike for Cap&Tax, his takeover of the GM and Chrysler, his "Pay czar" determining compensation not just for those evil CEO's, but for down the line executives and white collar workers, his waffling and dithering while violence erupted in Afghanistan, his failed stimulus that threw another trillion down the crapper.... I could go on, but you get the picture.

I give you the new CNN poll; 48% approval, a 7% decrease in just 3 weeks.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/im.../04/rel18a.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections