Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:02 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,389,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The current system certainly does NOT exclude Illegal immigrants and treating them in Emergency Rooms is, al least, twice as expensive as treating them in Clinics would be. Hospitals will not throw sick patients out into the street.
The bill as currently written covers illegals. This was reported this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:23 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,232,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So you think this government take over of health care will fix all this? You've got everything all wrong. This administration has caused most of the problems we have right now (high unemployment, inflation, and the threat of hyperinflation, huge debt and deficit, etc) and what this administration didn't do themselves, was cause in large part by past Democrat policies (as in the CRA, which caused the sub-prime mortgage and the banking meldown etc.)

What we need is a good strong dose of Capitalism! And get the government the hell out of the way! That is the only thing thing that will fix our ailing economy. More government will only make things far worse. Look at the damage this administration has caused in only 7 months!
I am not going to try to argue your point. Obviously, you feel that the Democrats are at fault. When Clinton was President, this country was in better shap but you will argue that point as well.

The damage that Obama caused? The damage was already done if I remember right. Obama had to fix it and indeed he has cleaned up some of the mess that before him. Lower interest rates, people are spending more on houses, cars, etc. He bailed the banks out and now they are lending. There was a time where banks weren't even lending money to banks and that was under the Bush Admin. The stock market is starting to rise.

What purpose is it that Republicans are so doom and gloom while you have a Democrat in office? And we have seen how captilism works under the Bush Admin. This is the reason why our country is so messed up. You tell a 5 year old child he has full reign of the house and in no time that house will be torn apart. A teenager who has full reign of the house, no parents, he has access to the liquor cabinet. Wall Street got drunk and so did many corporations, with our money. Phewy, look how many millionares and billionares got to hide their money, legally..in other countries so they wouldn't have to pay taxes here in this country.

I laugh outloud when I hear the likes of Beck, Rush, and other mean spirited Repubs, bashing the Democrats. However; when it comes time for them to die, you won't see the streets lined up, people crying, people telling a story how Kennedy helped them.

When the Repubs are in office, the rich benefit and when the Dem's are in office everyone benefits . End of story.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:30 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,731,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
The Administration believes that comprehensive health reform should:
  • Reduce long-term growth of health care costs for businesses and government
  • Protect families from bankruptcy or debt because of health care costs
  • Guarantee choice of doctors and health plans
  • Invest in prevention and wellness
  • Improve patient safety and quality of care
  • Assure affordable, quality health coverage for all Americans
  • Maintain coverage when you change or lose your job
  • End barriers to coverage for people with pre-existing medical conditions
Now what is wrong with this?
Where is the stopping of lawsuits?
How can folks afford this in the future if they cannot now?
Cobra already covers you, if you can afford it.
Come on convince me, how I as a working person who has coverage through my employer and have covered my entire family at cost to me, how will this help me?
If you have assests including a home it is your responsibiltiy to pay your way! No free give outs.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:06 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,701,958 times
Is there any rational person who doesn't think that tort reform would positively alter the way doctors practice medicine and reduce costs dramaticly? Then Why has it been taken off the table? Can any health care reform advocate give me any explination besides a political payoff for the Trial Lawyer's Association?

Is there any logical reason why a drug purchasing pool option has been taken off the table by the reformers except as a payoff to the Drug industry? Doesn't anyone realize how cheap drugs would be for all of us if medicare and medicaid bought in bulk? Why isn't this obvious option, that would bring immediate financial relief to all not even being considered?

The actions of the health care reformers to even consider these options makes everything else they want to do suspect in my eyes. It demonstrates to me that the people drafting the health care reforms are not operating from a "Moral" pulpit but are bowing to the "Sacred cows" and power brokers of the health care industry. I do acknowledge that many advocating for reform on this forum and many others do so with the highest principles in mind. Conversely, many against reform are operating from the lowest common denominator. They care little about reform one way or the other. They just want to bring down the Obama administration and they smell blood in the water over this issue.

If you want a "Petre Dish" of a government run health care program just look at the job they have historically done to the Veteran's Hospital system. It's a disgrace and the Gov. has had decades to mold it into an efficient , cost effective system.

I do agree that we should support the government putting a leash on the private insurance system. These folks have had an open checkbook with patient's money for too long and only government oversight will bring them back in line.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-30-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 01:11 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,731,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Is there any rational person who doesn't think that tort reform would positively alter the way doctors practice medicine and reduce costs dramaticly? Then Why has it been taken off the table? Can any health care reform advocate give me any explination besides a political payoff for the Trial Lawyer's Association?

Is there any logical reason why a drug purchasing pool option has been taken off the table by the reformers except as a payoff to the Drug industry? Doesn't anyone realize how cheap drugs would be for all of us if medicare and medicaid bought in bulk? Why isn't this obvious option, that would bring immediate financial relief to all not even being considered?

The actions of the health care reformers to even consider these options makes everything else they want to do suspect in my eyes.

If you want a "Petre Dish" of a government run health care program just look at the job they have historically done to the Veteran's Hospital system. It's a disgrace and the Gov. has had decades to mold it into an efficient , cost effective system.

I do agree that we should support the government putting a leash on the private insurance system. These folks have had an open checkbook with patients money for too long and only government oversight will bring them back in line.

Hope the OP will come back and reply, I really want someone to tell me how this will help me, yep just me.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,218,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
if you are mad as hell, i don't understand why you would favor a plan that does not SPECIFICALLY exclude illegal immigrants.
What I don't understand (seriously) is how this healthcare reform bill affects illegal immigrants one way or the other. If we are to believe what we hear and read about illegal immigrants, we are led to believe that they already receive FREE medical care in the form of Medicaid. If this is true, then how does specific language in the healthcare reform bill (language that supposedly "excludes" them), make any difference anyways?

Seems to me that the only people that are constantly getting neglected are the middle class who is paying for EVERYONE, including the old (through Medicare) and the poor (through Medicaid). I have no clue why we would want to protect the status quo (private insurance companies) who use discriminatory practices to cover and pay, all the while operating like monopolies. Seems to me that they need some competition in order to change as they certainly won't change when all the cards are stacked in their favor. Why would they want any change? They are sitting pretty right now.

If healthcare reform fails, the only losers will be the middle class again; the ones that are priced out of healthcare coverage and the ones that cannot get healthcare coverage due to pre-existing conditions.

We won't even get into the part where the insurance companies pick and choose what they will or will not cover (regardless of what's stated in black and white printing - they still go around and around with it playing games of semantics).

Back to the "illegal immigrant" situation as it pertains to healthcare coverage...if they're already covered now by Medicaid (based on the ranting and ravings of those who claim that they've sat in crowded emergency rooms for 4-5 hours while illegal immigrants get preferential treatment and come and go swiftly), then what's the difference if there's language excluding illegal immigrants or not in the health reform bill???

Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I find it amazing that people have no trouble with public funding for schools, police, fire, roads, medicare, prisons, attorneys for those unable to pay, wars, money to rebuild the countries those wars destroy, etc. etc. But when it comes to something that EVERY SINGLE CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD has realized as a basic human right......medical care....people fight it tooth and nail. Could it be that it is because there are no lobbyist feeding those who are unable to reason for themselves lies about all these other publicly funded programs while the insurance companies are spending hundreds of millions of dollars to poison the minds of the sheep to, once again, fight agains their own interest?
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding - you are exactly right! With 6 lobbyists to every 1 congress person, does the average American even stand a chance? Definitely not. We would have more success with space aliens from other planets representing the average working peon than our congress people. That's the sad part about all of this.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
First of all, I am a advocate for better health care. I have been accused of being with ACORN, this is untrue. Why is that? Because some of you are upset with what I have to say.
The whole "acorn" thing is a smokescreen and a diversion tactic when they can't come up with an answer that makes sense. I think they received Lumberg's memo that said, when in doubt, just scream, "acorn, acorn, acorn" and repeat as necessary.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So you think this government take over of health care will fix all this? You've got everything all wrong. This administration has caused most of the problems we have right now (high unemployment, inflation, and the threat of hyperinflation, huge debt and deficit, etc) and what this administration didn't do themselves, was cause in large part by past Democrat policies (as in the CRA, which caused the sub-prime mortgage and the banking meldown etc.)

What we need is a good strong dose of Capitalism! And get the government the hell out of the way! That is the only thing thing that will fix our ailing economy. More government will only make things far worse. Look at the damage this administration has caused in only 7 months!
Wait!!! "This" administration has caused everything that is wrong?? From where I'm sitting, it seems that we've had problems brewing for years and years. If I'm to believe you (that all our country's problems have all occurred during the last 7 months), then by golly, that Obama is one heck of a fast worker; he is a miracle worker!!! He must really BE the Messiah! Yessirree!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,146,990 times
Quote:
The Administration believes that comprehensive health reform should:
  • Reduce long-term growth of health care costs for businesses and government
  • Protect families from bankruptcy or debt because of health care costs
  • Guarantee choice of doctors and health plans
  • Invest in prevention and wellness
  • Improve patient safety and quality of care
  • Assure affordable, quality health coverage for all Americans
  • Maintain coverage when you change or lose your job
  • End barriers to coverage for people with pre-existing medical conditions
Now what is wrong with this?

Because it will be done on certain taxpayers backs;look at the funding options they have gone thru. Tyhe there is no way that cutting funding overall is going to result in better care. What it will do is see people get ceetain care for certain conditions and then zip. You'll be released as received best benefit pof treatment meaning the funding for your care ranout on the compuer of approved treatments and test. If the governamnt can't run a fairly small veteransd healthcare any better than the scandal we have seen ;do you think they can run a huge system . This adminitartion can run a simple cash for clunkers program without screwing up their part.That os nothing compared to healthcare.That list reqads like the noraml rethoric goals this administrtion has put out like the stimuls keeping unemployment to *5 if passed. The problem is they can even manage it or their second prioity the housing plan that was coming;coming ;coming then gone six months later.As my father said;I am gonna ;never got anything done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections