Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

"'I'm running like I'm 20 points behind and I'll continue to run like I'm 20 points behind,' says Pat Toomey, the presumptive GOP nominee for Senate in Pennsylvania -- who in fact now leads Sen. Arlen Specter 45 percent to 31 percent among likely voters in the latest Frank & Marshall College poll."

Six months ago, Toomey was down by 8 points.

Rising revolt in Pennsylvania - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,078,382 times
NY Post said so. Therefore, it is false.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Twenty four percent of those likely voters don't know who they will vote for. Trust me, when they realize Toomey is a Santorum clone, they'll figure it out.

And, of course, there are all those liberals who are hoping Specter won't be the Democratic candidate....

Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,473,387 times
This appears o be some very odd likely voter sample. They are tied at 30 with a 35% undecided for registered voters. The undecideds look to be mind numbingly high.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This appears o be some very odd likely voter sample. They are tied at 30 with a 35% undecided for registered voters. The undecideds look to be mind numbingly high.
I think it might be a case of "you have to get the nomination first." A lot of polls, like the ones in Nevada match the incumbent with all possible opposition candidates in the other party, so if you are for Candidate C and they ask you who would you vote for Candidate A (R) vs Candidate B (D) in the general election, you are likely to say you are undecided for that pairing. In Pennsylvania, isn't there another Democrat running agaist Specter who was annoyed when he changed parties or am I confused about the state where that happened? Maybe that's who the Undecideds support. That other Democrat.

In 2008, since the Republican nominee was established first, there were probably some polls done for Clinton vs McCain and Obama vs McCain before the Democrat nominee was established. I'm thinking if the pollsters asked you about Obama vs McCain and you were a Clinton supporter, you might have been more likely to have said you were undecided for that McCain/Obama match-up because your candidate (Clinton) hadn't been eliminated yet.

That's just a guess on why so many undecideds.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:42 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
I won't be surprised if Specter loses his primary election to Joe Sestak.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think it might be a case of "you have to get the nomination first." A lot of polls, like the ones in Nevada match the incumbent with all possible opposition candidates in the other party, so if you are for Candidate C and they ask you who would you vote for Candidate A (R) vs Candidate B (D) in the general election, you are likely to say you are undecided for that pairing. In Pennsylvania, isn't there another Democrat running agaist Specter who was annoyed when he changed parties or am I confused about the state where that happened? Maybe that's who the Undecideds support. That other Democrat.

In 2008, since the Republican nominee was established first, there were probably some polls done for Clinton vs McCain and Obama vs McCain before the Democrat nominee was established. I'm thinking if the pollsters asked you about Obama vs McCain and you were a Clinton supporter, you might have been more likely to have said you were undecided for that McCain/Obama match-up because your candidate (Clinton) hadn't been eliminated yet.

That's just a guess on why so many undecideds.
Yes, the Dems have another candidate. Congressman Joe Sestak who represents the 7th district in suburban Philly is challenging Specter in the Primary. Sestak is running to the left of Specter and was thought of as a likely Democratic candidate for the Senate seat prior to the Specter switch, and decided to stay in.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:51 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Specter will drop out once its clear he's going down to defeat. Right now I wouldn't be suprised if Ed Rendell doesn't step down as Governor and say he'll run in Specter's place at the last minute.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Specter will drop out once its clear he's going down to defeat. Right now I wouldn't be suprised if Ed Rendell doesn't step down as Governor and say he'll run in Specter's place at the last minute.
I doubt Rendell will jump in, but I don't think Specter will be the nominee. He will stay in, but Sestak knocks him off in the Primary.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"'I'm running like I'm 20 points behind and I'll continue to run like I'm 20 points behind,' says Pat Toomey, the presumptive GOP nominee for Senate in Pennsylvania -- who in fact now leads Sen. Arlen Specter 45 percent to 31 percent among likely voters in the latest Frank & Marshall College poll."

Six months ago, Toomey was down by 8 points.

Rising revolt in Pennsylvania - NYPOST.com

What a difference Washington can make in six months' time. Go Toomey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections