Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,448,423 times

Advertisements

The California Assembly race for the 53rd District* is the most watched and talked-about race in the state. There are currently 8 Democratic candidates vying for the nomination in the June 8th Primary.

Up until recently, there have been a few candidates grouped at the head of the pack; Betsy Butler, who is endorsed by the former Speaker, Karen Bass; Nick Karno, who has been garnering almost all of the big Labor endorsements; Kate Anderson who is being backed by the "Waxman/Berman machine" (she used to work for Henry Waxman); and James Lau, who has consistently been the top fundraiser.

Yesterday the California State Democratic Party held their Pre-Endorsment Conference. With 8 candidates in the race, no one thought that any single candidate would meet the threshold (50%+1) to make it to the Convention in April and get the Party's endorsement, it was assumed that the votes would be fairly evenly split, at least among the top contenders, and that no one would get the endorsement. Here's how the votes came out:

James Lau 60%
Betsy Butler 12%
Kate Anderson 7%
Edgar Saenz 7%
Mitch Ward 5%
Peter Thottam 4%
Nick Karno 0%
Diane Wallace 0%

Is anyone in the District watching this race? I'm wondering what all your thoughts are?

*District 53 includes Venice, parts of Westchester, Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance and Lomita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 02:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
The California Assembly race for the 53rd District* is the most watched and talked-about race in the state. There are currently 8 Democratic candidates vying for the nomination in the June 8th Primary.

Up until recently, there have been a few candidates grouped at the head of the pack; Betsy Butler, who is endorsed by the former Speaker, Karen Bass; Nick Karno, who has been garnering almost all of the big Labor endorsements; Kate Anderson who is being backed by the "Waxman/Berman machine" (she used to work for Henry Waxman); and James Lau, who has consistently been the top fundraiser.

Yesterday the California State Democratic Party held their Pre-Endorsment Conference. With 8 candidates in the race, no one thought that any single candidate would meet the threshold (50%+1) to make it to the Convention in April and get the Party's endorsement, it was assumed that the votes would be fairly evenly split, at least among the top contenders, and that no one would get the endorsement. Here's how the votes came out:

James Lau 60%
Betsy Butler 12%
Kate Anderson 7%
Edgar Saenz 7%
Mitch Ward 5%
Peter Thottam 4%
Nick Karno 0%
Diane Wallace 0%

Is anyone in the District watching this race? I'm wondering what all your thoughts are?

*District 53 includes Venice, parts of Westchester, Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance and Lomita.
so, what is the point? i guess that James Lau will be the choice, and of course he will win. That isn't a surprise, look at the district...

Nita

Old 03-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

so, what is the point? i guess that James Lau will be the choice, and of course he will win. That isn't a surprise, look at the district...

Nita
What are you talking about? What about the district? We're talking about a primary race with 8 Democrats running against each other, so what does the district have to do with anything?

And it may seem obvious James Lau will win the Party endorsement, but there's still the convention and the campaign needs to maintain those votes on the convention floor or he won't get the endorsement. His win yesterday just means he qualified to go to the convention and he became the Presumptive Nominee. And even then there's no guarantee he'll win the Primary. Do you really think Henry Waxman and Karen Bass are just going to tell Betsy Butler and Kate Anderson that they should just throw in the towel? The results of yesterday's conference has shaken up this race in a way that no one saw coming. You can bet that the other campaigns are all huddling together to figure out how to diminish this result, and for all we know, one of them may be successful.

Do you live in the district?

Are you following the race?

Do you have any actual comments about it, or just talking smack?

Old 03-21-2010, 05:38 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,520,680 times
If the healthcare bill gets passed...I predict the Republican challenger will win the general election.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post

If the healthcare bill gets passed...I predict the Republican challenger will win the general election.
Do you know who the Republican challenger is? (I do. Hint: Your prediction is hilarious.) Do you know anything about this district? Do you live here? Are you following the race?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:09 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,402,438 times
The district is Democratic so it doesn't really matter what Democrat wins in the primary, right?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What are you talking about? What about the district? We're talking about a primary race with 8 Democrats running against each other, so what does the district have to do with anything?

And it may seem obvious James Lau will win the Party endorsement, but there's still the convention and the campaign needs to maintain those votes on the convention floor or he won't get the endorsement. His win yesterday just means he qualified to go to the convention and he became the Presumptive Nominee. And even then there's no guarantee he'll win the Primary. Do you really think Henry Waxman and Karen Bass are just going to tell Betsy Butler and Kate Anderson that they should just throw in the towel? The results of yesterday's conference has shaken up this race in a way that no one saw coming. You can bet that the other campaigns are all huddling together to figure out how to diminish this result, and for all we know, one of them may be successful.

Do you live in the district?

Are you following the race?

Do you have any actual comments about it, or just talking smack?
check what Californio Sur just posted, that was my point. It makes no difference, the democrats will win in a primarily democratic district..Your posting makes little sense..

Nita

Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,583 times
My bet is on Betsy Butler to win. Anthem Blue cross, Chevron and a few other big business is attempting to smear her name. The only time big business smears a candidates name is when they fear of her winning because she believes in legislation that the big business does not want. Most of the candidates would be great for the 53rd, but she stands out because big business does not want her to be the candidate. I'm voting for her.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:26 PM
CMY

7 posts, read 288,326 times
Betsy Butler is clearly working very hard for your vote.

One mailer, no website updates since June 9th and just last week she even managed to have a debate with Nathan Mintz cancelled. No staff, no office, no phone number and no signs.

You guys really know how to pick 'em!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:13 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,891,800 times
This thread is pointless. It is so local, maybe three people even know who these people are. There are some interesting races in my state, but I won't bore people on this forum from the other 49 states, who don't care if Marvin the Martian wins in my local district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections