Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 AM

26,337 posts, read 49,345,742 times

Advertisements

Story in the L.A. Times on the contest in AZ this year pitting incumbent John McCain vs. J. D. Hayworth, a former House member.

Contest is a bit odd in that although McCain is considered too moderate by many GOP'ers, he is being supported by Sarah Palin who usually speaks on behalf of the hard-over far right types. McCain is now 73 and may be a bit old in the tooth.

Further oddness is that Hayworth lost his House seat in 2006 to a DEM. He was stained by his ties to corrupt lobbyist Jack Abramoff and about $100,000 in contributions from Abramoff's Indian tribe clients. Contributions?

IMO, this situation is ripe for a DEM victory this fall, as Hayworth is too stained by the Bush odor and McCain is just passe.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Story in the L.A. Times on the contest in AZ this year pitting incumbent John McCain vs. J. D. Hayworth, a former House member.

Contest is a bit odd in that although McCain is considered too moderate by many GOP'ers, he is being supported by Sarah Palin who usually speaks on behalf of the hard-over far right types. McCain is now 73 and may be a bit old in the tooth.

Further oddness is that Hayworth lost his House seat in 2006 to a DEM. He was stained by his ties to corrupt lobbyist Jack Abramoff and about $100,000 in contributions from Abramoff's Indian tribe clients. Contributions?

IMO, this situation is ripe for a DEM victory this fall, as Hayworth is too stained by the Bush odor and McCain is just passe.
Well, I think for Palin it's a matter of loyalty to McCain - and a way of thanking him for putting her on the national stage. For McCain it's a way of trying to lure some of the more Rightwing voters who otherwise wouldn't think of voting for him anymore. Sadly for McCain I don't think it will work. I think his time is up. It's a really a shame because - even though I often disagree with him - I REALLY like and respect John McCain. In fact, before he took Palin on as his running mate I would even have been "OK" with him as President. He wasn't my choice, but I wouldn't have minded too much - so for a while there back in the election days I was a VERY HAPPY camper since I had a candidate I WANTED to win (Obama) and one I was "OK" with if he happened to win (McCain). Of course that changed once it became apparent just how ignorant Palin was.

In any event, it will be interesting to see how all this plays out - especially since I hope to be an Arizona resident some time this summer (in the process of retiring and will of course need to sell my house up here in Seattle first).

Ken

Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 PM

1,937 posts, read 1,832,143 times
This old man needs to retire. His actions of late are bordering on senility.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:07 PM

26,337 posts, read 49,345,742 times
Ken, I'm with you in many aspects. I wanted so badly in the 2000 election to have a choice between John McCain and Bill Bradley for president, as THAT would have been a great set of choices. But we got TweedleDUMB (Bush) vs TweedleDEE (Gore). It's been all downhill since 2000.

Agree with the sentiment that JM is just too old. Besides, he's always been in the pocket of lobbyists; his whole Senate staff, and his whole campaign staff, were all lobbyists. As much as I liked him for so long, he's just another sleezy pol at this point, following the money.

Saw on the news today that he's moving to right now with some of his opinions and remarks, an obvious attempt to suck up to the far right, but if we recall from the 2008 campaign his long record of flip flops were well pointed out.

I saw that guy Hayworth on TV today, good grief, what an oily, sleazy looking dude. I hope he stays OUT of our government.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,858,977 times
Bill Bradley ... sigh ... the last great smart politician.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,756,583 times
Did any of you listen to Palin speaking at McCain's rally today? Her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I had to turn it off. I was worried the windows in my house might shatter.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:28 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,858,977 times
Palins in the Kitchen: Back to the Future

Announcer: And now, here she is! Sarah Palin!!!
<crowd goes wild>
Sarah: oh yea! thank you, thank you thank you, and thank YOU!
Sarah: Oh yea, I just love being up here to talk to you about ....
<looks at hand>
Sarah: Glenn McCain!
Sarah: No, wait, gosh, what was that old guy's name?
Handler: John McCain
Sarah: who?
Handler: John McCain, remember, you were his runningmate?
Sarah: my runningmate for President of the Senate?
Handler: Just say John McCain!
Sarah: well, golly, you don't need to get nasty!
Sarah: Yea! John McCain!!!!
Sarah: I fully support John McCain, he's great for our country! Country First you know!
Sarah: And that Fidel guy down by Florida! How about that guy!!!!
Sarah: yea, he loves Obamacare doesn't he!
Sarah: well, Arizona sure doesn't love Obamacare! Am I right????
<crowd goes wild>
Sarah: And I can tell you for darn tootin' sure ... Fidel McCain doesn't love Obamacare either!
Handler: Sarah!
Sarah: What now?
Handler: You just called John McCain, Fidel McCain!
Sarah: oh ... oops!
Sarah: John McCain doesn't love Obamacare! And all of you Arizonans need to make sure you keep him in the ... the .... the ... CONGRESSS!!!!!!!!
Sarah: Yea! And watch my upcoming show on TLC! Bye!
Cindy: G************ John!!! Why????

Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Yes, he is 73 but I think Nancy just turned 70 the other day, along with many in both houses that are 70 plus. I am not a strong McCain supporter, but I don't think his age is an issue.

Nita

Old 03-27-2010, 11:16 PM

22,265 posts, read 19,585,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes, he is 73 but I think Nancy just turned 70 the other day, along with many in both houses that are 70 plus. I am not a strong McCain supporter, but I don't think his age is an issue.

Nita
True, but in regards to Nancy, the members of the House are up for election every two years, so Nancy will be 72 in her next re-election bit, meanwhile McCain will be 80. With that being said, I do agree age really isn't an issue in Congress, and both sides do have members which are quite a bit older than McCain.

BTW, if the GOP decides to go with Abramoff's buddy in the Primary over McCain it really would show how far off the cliff the party has jumped.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:26 PM

8,935 posts, read 5,424,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
True, but in regards to Nancy, the members of the House are up for election every two years, so Nancy will be 72 in her next re-election bit, meanwhile McCain will be 80. With that being said, I do agree age really isn't an issue in Congress, and both sides do have members which are quite a bit older than McCain.

BTW, if the GOP decides to go with Abramoff's buddy in the Primary over McCain it really would show how far off the cliff the party has jumped.
OK, can someone answer a question? I'm a resident of Connecticut, so not up on everything going on in Arizona. Isn't this a situation of if the GOP does pick Hayworth over McCain they risk losing the seat to a Democrat, as Hayworth may not be strong enough to win in a state-wide election?

Democrats tried this with Ned Lamont .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections