Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:38 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,898,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Don't be surprised if the conservative candidate for 2012, has never been in politics, or has never held an office, much less run a race for government.

I successful small business owner. Someone that is very in touch with the people. Someone that cares that America stays at the top.
Don't be surprised either if by the time the next election is held Americans will have lost the majority so it won't matter .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They said Reagan was too old, too.
Reagan wasn't 75 plus when he was elected either time.

Nita

Old 04-16-2010, 04:38 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,263,364 times
How about Haley Barbour? According to this article, Barbour will decide whether to make a run for presidency after the November mid-terms.
Clip:
Barbour, who as chairman of the Republican Governors Association is directing the GOP’s efforts to win the 37 governors' races this year, told his team that he would remain focused intently on November but also made clear that he would stay open to the prospect of a presidential run.

Read more: Barbour, advisers privately mull 2012 run - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

Old 04-16-2010, 05:22 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,856,170 times
tigerlilly wrote;
Quote:
How about Haley Barbour?
OMG, YES! Please Haley run so the rest of the country can see how a racist southerner does things. Maybe we'll find that the "old magic" that worked so well for Nixon and Reagan will finally lose its appeal.

Haley Barbour; Friends of the "Conservative Citizens Council". Look em up!

Powerful lobbyist, founder of one of the most powerful lobbying firms in DC

Corrupt governor who "waived" HUD rules that 70% of the Katrina funds, $23 BILLION must go to low and moderate income areas. Instead 75% of it went (through his nephew's firms) mostly to the wealthiest areas.

State with the THIRD LOWEST cigarette tax and the HIGHEST GROCERY TAX. Grocery taxes are the most REGRESSIVE taxes there are.

Defunded the state's anti-smoking campaign. Which had been touted as being the most effective in the US. His lobbying firm's biggest client; BIG TOBACCO.

Controlling interest in the marketing arm and the actual firm wherein people actually WENT TO JAIL for violating campaign laws. The firm tied up phone lines by overwhelming them with incoming calls, at DEMOCRATIC call centers. Somehow he wasn't so much as mentioned!

During his '82 Senate run he warned an aide, in front of reporters, that if he didn't straighten up he would "be reincarnated as a watermelon and placed at the mercy of blacks".

Even Republican icon Fred Thompson's committe found that the RNC under Barbour was ILLEGALLY raising money from overseas.

Involved in the Tom Delay money laundering indictment. His firm represented the company that wrote the $100,000 check that led to the charges.

Running for governor in '04 swore he'd veto any tax increase. That only lasted until the bill raising hospital bed taxes landed on his desk.

But I'm certain that Pawlenty, Romney and Huckabee are all too polite to mention any of these historical tidbits. He'd be DONE before the caucusing starts in Iowa!

Another bright, shining example of the "new south".

Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
How about Haley Barbour? According to this article, Barbour will decide whether to make a run for presidency after the November mid-terms.
Clip:
Barbour, who as chairman of the Republican Governors Association is directing the GOP’s efforts to win the 37 governors' races this year, told his team that he would remain focused intently on November but also made clear that he would stay open to the prospect of a presidential run.

Read more: Barbour, advisers privately mull 2012 run - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com
He is my first choice, but I am afraid some might think he is a little to "good ole country boy".

Nita

Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,497,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
He is my first choice, but I am afraid some might think he is a little to "good ole country boy".

Nita
Being a tobacco lobbyist and pro-confederate is not going to endear him to many outside the south.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Romney /Brown wins in 2012 by 2m votes,as in Bush- Kerrey 2004...
I don't think so. With the sentiment against Obamacare, Romney will have tough sledding being the face of Massachusetts healthcare. The candidate will have to run against Obamacare and Romney won't be able to use it. I don't think he'll make it out of the primary and two guys from Massachusetts? No way. I still think the 2012 candidate has yet to emerge and that's a good thing. Let the Democrats spend their energy and their dough trying to defeat a non-candidate. Sarah Palin will do that for us, I think. The Dems will grind their gears on her (time and money) and she will just be the diversion.

I can tell you the GOP was so sure Hillary was going to be the candidate in 2008 that they put all of their eggs (time, money) in the Hillary basket while Obama came from nowhere and slipped through the crack (er, no pun intended). They were just unprepared for his candidacy.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Being a tobacco lobbyist and pro-confederate is not going to endear him to many outside the south.
I am afraid you may be right, I just like him. I know, that is a really dumb reason to vote for someone and if it came down to the election I wouldn't base my vote on a persons likability, but I still do wonder if he will make a run and how far he will get.

Nita

Old 04-17-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't think so. With the sentiment against Obamacare, Romney will have tough sledding being the face of Massachusetts healthcare. The candidate will have to run against Obamacare and Romney won't be able to use it. I don't think he'll make it out of the primary and two guys from Massachusetts? No way. I still think the 2012 candidate has yet to emerge and that's a good thing. Let the Democrats spend their energy and their dough trying to defeat a non-candidate. Sarah Palin will do that for us, I think. The Dems will grind their gears on her (time and money) and she will just be the diversion.

I can tell you the GOP was so sure Hillary was going to be the candidate in 2008 that they put all of their eggs (time, money) in the Hillary basket while Obama came from nowhere and slipped through the crack (er, no pun intended). They were just unprepared for his candidacy.
good point, I don't think many of us have thought about it that way.

Nita

Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Do you know who this person is?

Worked in International finance for a bank and opened an operation for the bank in Venezuela.
Worked for a mobile phone company.
Sold fire equipment for the Alaskan pipeline.
Bought a shoe company that sold shoes in Panama.
Sold water pumps in Nigeria.
Was State Secretary of Commerce.
Sold real estate and then became a partner.
Started a non-profit think tank on public policy.
Has a degree in Latin American Affairs.
Is a proponent of school vouchers.
Is an active rock climber.
Is sceptical about man-made global warming.
Signed legislation to protect land in his state and set aside more than one million acres of land for conservation.
Married a Mexican woman.
Was a campaign manager for a non-Mexican hispanic woman who ran successfully for Congress.
Is Catholic and a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Long-time supporter of Israel.
No national sales tax or VAT.
Reward merit.
Supports constitutional balanced budget amendment.
Completed two full terms as governor and picked up additional counties in his second term.
Never commuted any prisoner's sentence in his 8 years as governor.
Adopted Three-Strike Violent Felony Offender Act
Left office with a 60% approval rating.
First Governor to receive Urban Innovator Award for Education Reform
Initiated innovative state Medicaid reforms.
Cumulative reduction in taxes of $19 billion.
Had black support for his focus on public education and parental choice.
Co-founded the first charter school in his state along with a black activist.
Ended affirmative action at state colleges but employed highly qualified women, blacks and other minorities in top-level government positions more than any previous governor in his state.
Approved 3 new medical schools as governor.

After the Democrat takeover of Congress in 2006, told a conservative summit this:

"We lost, and there are significant reasons that happened, but it isn't because conservatives were rejected. It's because we rejected the conservative philosophy in this country...don't abandon conservative principles…we don't need to be the end all and be all for every special interest group, for every constituent that you like, for every person that's given a fundraising check to your campaign, for everything that is just wrong about public policy and politics”.

Currently runs two foundations and a consulting firm and sits on a healthcare board.
Think tank mission is global leadership by American companies.
Currently in the news as still pulling legislative strings in his state.

Do you know who this person is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections